New, good-to-know information.

Reaction score
I'm easily on 150 flights with zero crashes, and I still continue to discover new information about the Phantom that is worth sharing.

I know with motor cut-off set to INTELLIGENT, the motors should not shut off in flight. They should only shut off when it is stable and on the ground. Yet, I have always been chicken to bring my throttle to zero and test it. Today I did that, unintentionally, while I was descending quickly and indeed, they did not shut off! So, if you need to descend quickly, feel free to bring that throttle all the way down.

But, I did learn something very important when doing this. You have no other control, so forget about avoiding a tree! You cannot control side to side or forward and back movement. At first I thought something was wrong and I was going to experience my first crash, but as soon as I brought up the throttle slightly, I had full control again. I then tested this a couple times.

So, feel free to bring them down quickly, but as soon as you need control again, just give it a little power.

It makes sense that you would have no control with the throttle at zero, because it is the esc's turning the motors at
different speeds, that determines whether it goes left, right, forward, or reverse.

Example: Going forward, the two rear motors are spinning faster than the front ones. No motors spinning = DROP :shock:

Well, with the throttle at zero, the props are still spinning and the Phantom is still in control to keep itself upright and bring itself down relatively slowly. But, it will not speed up other props to move, unless you bring the throttle up just slightly.

Well, with the throttle at zero, the props are still spinning and the Phantom is still in control to keep itself upright and bring itself down relatively slowly. But, it will not speed up other props to move, unless you bring the throttle up just slightly.

How do it know ? It just knows ;)

Thanks for the info. I have had my phantom just over a month and I have about 110 flights with no issues. I pre=flight every single time it goes up.

I have always wondered what would happen to try throttle all the way down but was always concerned it would crash to the ground. I have had a few times when I really needed to get down as fast as I can.

I've done this a couple of times when trying to descend in a hurry. When I watched the footage bace you can hear the motors are still spining but you can litteraly 'feel' it falling out of the sky in a sort of controlled stall (doesn't make for pretty video! :lol: ). It never topples over but I do wonder on stock props how much it is flexing them upwards. Not good practice probably :D

When bringing it down fast, I like to bring it in on an angle (moving forward or back) so it does not come down in it's own turbulence for a much smoother ride. That is when I noticed the throttle was at zero. It came straight down.

Darrell1 said:
When bringing it down fast, I like to bring it in on an angle (moving forward or back) so it does not come down in it's own turbulence for a much smoother ride. That is when I noticed the throttle was at zero. It came straight down.

+1 - it took me a while to get that technique right and I still don't think it is perfected but that works a lot better for me these days. Nothing worse than being 7 mins into a flight at altitude and not being able to get it down to you in a controlled hurry! Trick is to know the distance, height and angle and then bring it home on kind of a glide slope.... not so good with trees around! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4