New FPV setup - Am I missing anything awesome?

Reaction score
I've sorted through these boards for a few weeks and finally came up with the following FPV setup for my P2. I'd love to hear any thoughts on potential upgrades or additional pieces, as well as share what I got in case any other people are looking for a similar setup (I spent hours trying to find some sort of kit or recommended list, so hopefully this helps at least one other person)!

Here's what I just bought tonight -- I already have the P2 with GoPro Hero 3+ Black and H3-3D:

$69.99 - ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio/Video Transmitter (getfpv.com)
$69.00 - DJI iOSD Mini (getfpv.com)
$64.99 - IBCrazy 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set (getfpv.com)
$18.99 - Plug and Play Cable: DJI Phantom 2 to iOSD Mini and Fat Shark/ImmersionRC Transmitter (amazon.com)
$204.99 - Black Pearl 7" LCD Screen FPV Diversity Rx 5.8GHz slim design with integrated battery (rangevideo.com)
$6.99 - 12V power supply for Black Pearl (rangevideo.com)
$3.99 - DJI Neck Strap Balancer Hook for LCD bracket

Under $500 all together with shipping ($494.99). This seems like everything I need, but the only big question I have left is this: If I plug one of the Bluebeam antennas on the transmitter on my Phantom and the other one on the Black Pearl, do I just leave the second Black Pearl antenna alone? Will that second stock antenna help or hurt things -- or should I look at buying another Bluebeam?

Lastly, I've been asked to do some aerial work over a local golf course. I'm assuming this setup should allow me enough range to fly down the fairways up to 600 yards without losing any signal, right? The further the better, obviously, but I need at least that much for the longest hole.

The 3-turn BB goes on the P2, the 5-turn goes on the receiver monitor. The diversity part of the receiver is what automatically switches between antennas depending on which has the strongest signal.

The BB is pretty good but it's omnidirectional and best for closer range.

On the second antenna stem I use a directional antenna which will be best for long range. I use a FatShark 13dbi patch antenna but a 5+ turn helical will also do the job.

Using this setup I've seen guys get 2km, 3km and even 5km range.

Thanks for the clarification. I ended up getting everything setup thanks to a few videos found on the forum. So far it looks great, but I wanted to see if anyone knew about these issues:

1. Any way to convert Meters to Feet? I've bounced around a few sites and it appears there's no way to do this -- just curious if anyone has a good lead?

2. My monitor seems to flicker a bit more than what I've seen other people's do online. Is there an optimal channel setup for the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw and Black Pearl?

PortlandPicture said:
1. Any way to convert Meters to Feet? I've bounced around a few sites and it appears there's no way to do this -- just curious if anyone has a good lead?

Not possible yet, but I expect that to be an option in the future.

I know this thread is a week old but I'm just now seeing it... with all due respect to the poster immediately above, that CF mounting bracket thing is neat but if you're doing an IRC transmitter and the pre-made cable you should be doing an "internal install" of everything like the iOSD Mini (moving the CAN-BUS up inside the shell)
the only thing you need to mount "externally" is the actual video transmitter on the rear/underneath of the Phantom body... just remember to offset the antenna to one side (so you don't block the battery) and that being the case you don't really need to add more cost/weight by adding that plate for more mounting area. If you don't know exactly what I mean about the internal install let me know I'll link you a video

If you haven't bought yet, consider doubling the antenna cost and going for this 3-antenna FPVLR badass bundle. I can personally confirm in a low interference environment I've been out over 600m with only the pinwheels. The helix is supposedly a "10k" antenna (fixed-wing guys go those kind of distances) and when I fly over a city the pinwheel (on the receiver) can't handle the interference so I use the helix and again, well over 600m (over a city) with zero fpv interference.

regarding your question about antennas: if you have a "diversity receiver" (2 antenna ports) then indeed, the receiver will use the best signal from either antenna... you don't have to have 2 antennas plugged in, and often it's pointless since 1 antenna will usually be the best... for example if I have both the helix and pinwheel installed it never even uses the pinwheel, the helix is always stronger signal. even if you just have those IBCrazy's, that antenna will always be much better than the stock receiver antenna so it's just pointless to have that stock antenna even attached. Diversity is more useful if you have say 2 shitty stock antennas attached you can point them in different orientations and that can help... but if you're using upgraded omnidirectional or other premium antennas, 1 is usually sufficient.

also this display mount is really good, recommended to me by mods here and I can confirm it's awesome. originally I just bought some cheap $5 thing to mount the display to that silver tab on the front of the RC... that RaveAerialVideo 3d-printed one is WAY better.

PortlandPicture said:

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but are you actually asking how to convert the distance unit meters into feet?

meters x 3.28 = feet
feet / 3.28 = meters

tferrari said:
PortlandPicture said:

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but are you actually asking how to convert the distance unit meters into feet?

meters x 3.28 = feet
feet / 3.28 = meters

no. its vice versa.

meters / 3.28 = feet
feet * 3.28 = meters

google.com :)

QYV said:
I know this thread is a week old but I'm just now seeing it... with all due respect to the poster immediately above, that CF mounting bracket thing is neat but if you're doing an IRC transmitter and the pre-made cable you should be doing an "internal install" of everything like the iOSD Mini (moving the CAN-BUS up inside the shell)
the only thing you need to mount "externally" is the actual video transmitter on the rear/underneath of the Phantom body... just remember to offset the antenna to one side (so you don't block the battery) and that being the case you don't really need to add more cost/weight by adding that plate for more mounting area. If you don't know exactly what I mean about the internal install let me know I'll link you a video

If you haven't bought yet, consider doubling the antenna cost and going for this 3-antenna FPVLR badass bundle. I can personally confirm in a low interference environment I've been out over 600m with only the pinwheels. The helix is supposedly a "10k" antenna (fixed-wing guys go those kind of distances) and when I fly over a city the pinwheel (on the receiver) can't handle the interference so I use the helix and again, well over 600m (over a city) with zero fpv interference.

regarding your question about antennas: if you have a "diversity receiver" (2 antenna ports) then indeed, the receiver will use the best signal from either antenna... you don't have to have 2 antennas plugged in, and often it's pointless since 1 antenna will usually be the best... for example if I have both the helix and pinwheel installed it never even uses the pinwheel, the helix is always stronger signal. even if you just have those IBCrazy's, that antenna will always be much better than the stock receiver antenna so it's just pointless to have that stock antenna even attached. Diversity is more useful if you have say 2 shitty stock antennas attached you can point them in different orientations and that can help... but if you're using upgraded omnidirectional or other premium antennas, 1 is usually sufficient.

also this display mount is really good, recommended to me by mods here and I can confirm it's awesome. originally I just bought some cheap $5 thing to mount the display to that silver tab on the front of the RC... that RaveAerialVideo 3d-printed one is WAY better.

It is unclear to me so I am asking, are you using one of these on the antenna on the Vtx or just the one that comes stock with the Immersion RC? I'd like to see a photo of the set up on the bird. Thanks

Paloose said:
It is unclear to me so I am asking, are you using one of these on the antenna on the Vtx or just the one that comes stock with the Immersion RC? I'd like to see a photo of the set up on the bird. Thanks
replied in the other thread where you asked the same thing :)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22950&start=20

tferrari said:
PortlandPicture said:

meters x 3.28 = feet
feet / 3.28 = meters

haha... I know this part (and Evilfurryone is correct: Meters / 3.28084 = feet). I was curious if it's possible for the iOSD Mini to simply display measurements in feet rather than meters.

PortlandPicture said:
haha... I know this part (and Evilfurryone is correct: Meters / 3.28084 = feet). I was curious if it's possible for the iOSD Mini to simply display measurements in feet rather than meters.

Ah! I figured I was misunderstanding your question :p

evilfurryone said:
no. its vice versa.

meters / 3.28 = feet
feet * 3.28 = meters

PortlandPicture said:
(and Evilfurryone is correct: Meters / 3.28084 = feet).

Both of you are incorrect:

meters x 3.28 = feet
feet / 3.28 = meters

Sorry, I can't tell if you're trolling me or not.... that's pretty basic math :shock:

tferrari said:
PortlandPicture said:

Ah! I figured I was misunderstanding your question :p

evilfurryone said:
no. its vice versa.

meters / 3.28 = feet
feet * 3.28 = meters

PortlandPicture said:
(and Evilfurryone is correct: Meters / 3.28084 = feet).

Both of you are incorrect:

meters x 3.28 = feet
feet / 3.28 = meters

Sorry, I can't tell if you're trolling me or not.... that's pretty basic math :shock:
Wow, I'm sorry but you're actually stupid. A meter is a larger distance than a feet, it'd be therefore intuitively wrong to multiply meters by 3.28 to get feet. Assuming your hypothesis is correct, you are say 5 feet 10 inches that'd be (5+10/12) *3.28= 19 meters? No, you're not 19 m. Anyway try to Google 1m to feet and you'll believe it. Please learn math, it's disturbing to see such a simple calculation requiring more than 0.5 seconds of thought.

Dear Troll (aka andersonpaac),

You are very trolly.

1m = 3.28 ft

Thx for being trolly.

Sincerely,

1/troll

andersonpaac said:
Wow, I'm sorry but you're actually stupid. A meter is a larger distance than a feet, it'd be therefore intuitively wrong to multiply meters by 3.28 to get feet. Assuming your hypothesis is correct, you are say 5 feet 10 inches that'd be (5+10/12) *3.28= 19 meters? No, you're not 19 m. Anyway try to Google 1m to feet and you'll believe it. Please learn math, it's disturbing to see such a simple calculation requiring more than 0.5 seconds of thought.

I hope tferrari is right and you're just trolling, in which case please stop.

If not: https://www.google.com/search?q=1+meter+in+feet

OI Photography said:
andersonpaac said:

I hope tferrari is right and you're just trolling, in which case please stop.

If not: https://www.google.com/search?q=1+meter+in+feet
You'd expect that, but I'm kinda sure he's not and that simply disappoints me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik