New FC40 Owner and Loving it

Reaction score
Hello all i am new to the world of the FC40 and absolutely loving it.. What a fantastic piece of kit. I am however after a bit of advice. My current set up is (not sure if i should admit it as it might not be the done thing) the fc40 camera is velcroed to the battery door as a rudimentary fpv and go pro is slung underneath on a vibration plate. the issue i have is that now the go pro hits the floor first. I bought the wider longer legs but now the phantom doesnt fit in its box... so my question is: can i chop the landing gear down. what effect does removing the horizontal bottom skid have?
Sorry if this has been answered before but i have been trawling the web and not coming up with answers, apologies for being a newb but i have to get my daily fix of embarrassment

I don't think cutting the bottom of the skids would hurt anything but if you don't re-mount the compass in the right position it won't fly well.

Cheers woody, I wasn't sure whether you would get some really odd bounce effect on landing due to the legs without th horizontal brace being a bit flimsy... I will give it a go and see what happens, it's a pretty cheap experiment unless something catastrophic happens to the phantom..

With the compass I am assuming it just has to be fitted to the back left leg somewhere and 90 degrees to the front and pointing in.. Do I need to be more specific with it?

I've never modified my skids so I'm not qualified to answer your question more specifically. If it flys well but the landings are unstable due to the flimsy legs you could always hand catch. Just be careful when hand catching. Put it in a stable hover about a foot over your head, grab a leg with one hand and hold the throttle stick down all the way with your other hand. It will take about 3 seconds for the motors to shut off. Don't try to move the Phantom in the air until the motors shut off or it will fight back.
I hand catch every flight to avoid tip overs.

I have seen the bottoms cut off a long wide set. They also oblonged the mounting holes so that the legs could be turned slightly to get them under the arms for the props. This was a nice setup cause it has less wind drag from the props and also gives the phantom a wider stance. Only downside was when landing, if slightly angled and hit one leg 1st it was just slightly bouncing to the side. Definantly worth it to me, I just haven't got around to doing it to mine yet. Good luck and make sure it sits level or you will have to adjust pitch on takeoff to go perfectly straight up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav