New ex-3DR Solo owner

Anything technology-related falls under this. The way the industry is moving you always run the risk of buying and not waiting. I see that with computers all the time. "Should I buy now, or wait?". Depends on how long the wait is, and if whay you already have does what you want it to do. If it does, then why waste the money? This is what I tell people when they ask about upgrading their compupters: "If it does what you want it to do, then don't upgrade."

Yep, the nature of the business. I thought I did my research this week in buying a controller with the FPVLR antenna mod installed on it. Just ONE day after buying it, they announce the new, version 2 of the mod! Which needs to be done, really, or I'll have to use attenuators on the version 1 model because of the cross-talk problem it has. I just ordered the new piece by itself. We'll never "get ahead" of the pace of this technology.

I guess I'm missing something - used digital still and video cams since about 1998 and never was aware of that I wasn't using them as a camera should be used. Maybe selfies or follow-me are the new ideas of how cams should be used.....I must admit to never doing (or wanting to do) either.

If you were truly talking about operating as a camera should - I think you should talk more about making ISO and White Balance and other adjustments as well as all that new stuff like HDR.

As to the 90 days being time for something new - I think we are over 90 days into the P3 and I'd say it's just getting started. They (DJI) are probably 15% or so into their sales projections of the model.

The idea that one has to have the newest thing all the time can be dangerous and expensive. The P2V+ was not perfected until V3.0 which was about 8 months after it was first released.

Then again, I have an iphone 5 and a Nexus 2013...... :)
I agree. "Bigger and better" isn't always at first. I would rather have the bugs worked out. And I'm not really interested in selfie or follow-me either. Both are of very limited use for any professional purpose.

The smart way to deal with it is to wait 60-90 days after 100% of the features (full gopro control, etc.) are available and also after the complete units are available for immediate shipment.

Then check unbiased reviews on the complete craft with complete software.

That way you have the benefit of knowing what the little (or big) problems are and can decide if you can put up with them.
My thoughts exactly

I am a ex-3DR owner as of this morning!! I just got fed up with the long wait and the failure of the gimbals I saw on YouTube. I shipped it back to B&H and will be getting a Phantom 3 Pro as soon as they process my return. So sad 3DR did not have their stuff together. It looked like a great product but fell short with delays and customer service. I purchased in June and just could not see waiting for something that was not really ready for the public. I cant wait to fly the Phantom 3 Pro!

Reactions: JonW
B&H got my Solo delivered back to them today. Just waiting to see the credit go through. I'll be buying Phantom 3 Pro this week too. I'll consider another Solo if they get things figured out. I'm going to wait until I see people getting complete Solos with gimbals and without all the problems. That will probably be after a full production run, customer feedback and some redesigns. I'm assuming that will be a couple more months.

Last edited:
Yea the Phantoms are a bit more 'polished' and easier for those want just want a flying camera.

The SOLO is a bit 'rough around the edges'.

Kinda like Lowe's vs. Home Depot.

Reactions: 02oilburner
Yea the Phantoms are a bit more 'polished' and easier for those want just want a flying camera.

The SOLO is a bit 'rough around the edges'.

Kinda like Lowe's vs. Home Depot.
And the Lowe's is still under construction :)

Reactions: N017RW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj