New drone legislation on its way

Reaction score
I just spoke (in person) with the president of the Oregon Pilots Association, and she said that her group has been meeting with representatives from most of the drone manufacturers, as well as the FAA. I was surprised to hear that there are over 100 different drone manufacturers.

What she said is that the manufacturers, the pilots Association, and the FAA are all supporting registration of all drones above a certain weight. Registration would be mandatory, and would be a condition to receive the drone.

She did not have all the details, including what the weight limit would be, and all the details of how this would be implemented. She said that the serial number, model number, etc. of each drone would need to be in the registration database with the owner's name and contact information.

She said this will most likely not be an FAA regulation at this point, but will be implemented state-by-state. She also mentioned that if the states don't act fast enough, then the FAA will take over and implement Federal legislation.

For sure, we all know something has to happen. There have been too many commercial airline complaints. This same president of the pilots Association mentioned that someone was just arrested in Portland for flying his drone in a landing path of the Portland international Airport, so they are obviously taking this very seriously.

Hopefully it is true & they speed up the process.
This is another thread.viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35042
I hate to say, but I think that the idiot that was arrested in your post for flying by an active runway of an international airport will hopefully be made an example out of as I think that will be the only way some of this foolishness is going to stop.

tcope said:
I'm going to guess and say that registration won't happen. No one... and I mean no one likes a database these days.
I can see the database & other things not happening unless maybe for commercial use. I just am glad they are discussing some regs.

tcope said:
I'm going to guess and say that registration won't happen. No one... and I mean no one likes a database these days.
That is likely, until they turn up the heat and have cops check registrations and hand out fines. That will probably only happen once there is an accident where one of more people get hurt or killed.

Larry L said:
tcope said:
I can see the database & other things not happening unless maybe for commercial use. I just am glad they are discussing some regs.
We'll see. In any case, we need to keep our eyes on these things and share what we hear.

Larry L said:
Hopefully it is true & they speed up the process.
This is another thread.viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35042
I hate to say, but I think that the idiot that was arrested in your post for flying by an active runway of an international airport will hopefully be made an example out of as I think that will be the only way some of this foolishness is going to stop.
Thanks for the link. From what I heard, he was only given a minor fine (under $100).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4