(new) DJI Ultimate Flight - support for above ground altitude mission

Reaction score
DJI Ultimate Flight - v3 - Android Apps on Google Play

Recently moved from beta to release a number of features are now generally available (many not available in any existing app).

* Program your missions offline using altitudes above ground - No need to worry about calculating the altitudes as you add waypoints in areas with hills, the app can di this calculation for you. Calculations are supported using 2 methods, each with varying accuracy. The higher accuracy is to use Digital Terrain Model (DTM) files which can be downloaded or generated and tend to give the highest accuracy (some +/- 1'). The second, when DTM is not present is to use Google Elevation Services (accuracy depends on the area flying). In both cases, define the mission using above ground and convert before flight (if you will not have internet connections) or the app will convert at the start of the mission.

* Mission templates - A mission template is a (patent pending) waypoint pattern which allows you to define the mission's pattern of flight and load the mission at any location. The app will recalculate the mission appropriately. Perfect for cases where the pattern is the same and only the location differs.

* Full Phantom 4 support - includes slow-motion video, radar reporting and active track. P4 settings include control of avoidance detection, backwards and horizontal avoidance flight control, etc

Enjoy,
Ken

Will there be an iOS version Ken?

As much as I'd like to be able to commit to creating an iOS version, I'm not likely to find the time to maintain another OS so it's likely Android only for some time.

As much as I'd like to be able to commit to creating an iOS version, I'm not likely to find the time to maintain another OS so it's likely Android only for some time.
Yep I understand that!

On a simple point of interest, Ken - is an Android app "easier" (relatively of course because I'm sure it isn't "easy"!) than creating and maintaining an iOS app?

Yep I understand that!

On a simple point of interest, Ken - is an Android app "easier" (relatively of course because I'm sure it isn't "easy"!) than creating and maintaining an iOS app?

Thanks for asking.

The basic coding is about the same (though a different coding language) for each but Android is much more difficult because there are nearly 5000 different devices and they are all a little different so you can get into cases where something that works well on one device doesn't work on another or requires slightly different code. iOS, on the other hand has maybe a dozen devices.

Reactions: Numone
Thanks for asking.

The basic coding is about the same (though a different coding language) for each but Android is much more difficult because there are nearly 5000 different devices and they are all a little different so you can get into cases where something that works well on one device doesn't work on another or requires slightly different code. iOS, on the other hand has maybe a dozen devices.
Wow. It didn't expect that, Ken! I'd assumed quite the opposite. Do you know the spilt is of Android vs. iOS users for the Phantom? I'd guess far more on Android.

Wow. It didn't expect that, Ken! I'd assumed quite the opposite. Do you know the spilt is of Android vs. iOS users for the Phantom? I'd guess far more on Android.

The split is difficult to say for sure since, as far as I am aware, there is no global reporting for app installation counts. DJI would likely be the best source for this because they have the free app on both platforms but I can't imagine they would say publically. Other apps that have versions on both platforms might have some details but I expect that to be somewhat skewed and inaccurate as pretty much all apps, mine included, have such a small installation base compared to GO that any analytics would be too small of a sample to have any accuracy.

I also was incorrect on the number of device variants, it's closer to 10k devices.

The split is difficult to say for sure since, as far as I am aware, there is no global reporting for app installation counts. DJI would likely be the best source for this because they have the free app on both platforms but I can't imagine they would say publically. Other apps that have versions on both platforms might have some details but I expect that to be somewhat skewed and inaccurate as pretty much all apps, mine included, have such a small installation base compared to GO that any analytics would be too small of a sample to have any accuracy.

I also was incorrect on the number of device variants, it's closer to 10k devices.
Thanks Ken. Still would love you to produce an iOS version - and would pay for it too! (as would the other 1.5m iOS "Go" users worldwide - well just a guess, but whos gonna dispute it!?)

I currently use Litchi . It works great for autonomous flight out of RC range . I havent figured out how to do the settings to move the gimbal while out of range .I therefore dont get good video of my waypoints . Does F do that easily ?

I currently use Litchi . It works great for autonomous flight out of RC range . I havent figured out how to do the settings to move the gimbal while out of range .I therefore dont get good video of my waypoints . Does F do that easily ?

When you are out of range you are limited to what any app can do because the app cannot communicate with the aircraft in order to send commands for movement. UF include actions and there is an action to move the gimbal but only in pitch (not yaw if you have an Inspire). I don't know using gimbal actions will achieve what you are looking for but it would be a start. I do have something new that will help with the gimbal movement but it's not in the app yet; it will make controlling gimbal a slight bit easier when connections are not available but it won't be as good as the app can do when connected.

Thanks for the quick response . I like to fly out of range / I start the video when in range and I get good photos off of the 4k Video . Problem is rotating the p3 or rotating the gimbal up or down while out of range . Can you set Uf to orbit a poi or move the drone or gimbal at a waypoint while out of range . Litchi seems to have some functions like that but I havent figured out how to work them .

Thanks for the quick response . I like to fly out of range / I start the video when in range and I get good photos off of the 4k Video . Problem is rotating the p3 or rotating the gimbal up or down while out of range . Can you set Uf to orbit a poi or move the drone or gimbal at a waypoint while out of range . Litchi seems to have some functions like that but I haven't figured out how to work them .

There are a few things that are unique to UF that is not present in any other app that I am aware of (Litchi included):

* UF includes a type of waypoint called "Orbit". With the orbit waypoint you define the settings same as the orbit flight mode (heading, face in/out, rotation direction, etc) but in addition on the normal settings you can also define the number of points, the radius (1-360 degrees), etc. The app calculates the points, drone heading, etc. There is an enhancement to this that I am working on that will make it even better, but even as it is the capability to generate a near perfect orbit at any location in a mission is quite nice.

* The second type of waypoint is a panorama and similar to the orbit you define the parameters of the panorama and the app calculated the waypoints and actions needed to perform the operation.

This is a good demo video if you'd like to see what can be done:

Another video, not nearly as nice but it shows the settings (albeit an old version) is here:

The docs have some good details but I think the videos will do a fair job at showing you the extended types I've implemented (more coming).

The docs are here: http://djiultimateflight.com/images/DJI Ultimate Flight V3.pdf

I also want to be sure users like what they pay for and offer a 7-day refund. I want to be sure pilots get a fair amount of time to get acquainted with the app.

Some new things currently in public beta, coming soon to release:

* Multi-select + edit waypoints. You can select 1 or more waypoints and edit common values for all selected waypoints in a single operation

* Long exposure panoramas - better automatic support for long exposure panoramas (covers full range of camera which I believe is 8 second exposure)

* Other tunes and tweaks to edit screens, head-up display, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik