New DJI Phantom Vision 2 User

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Please forgive me for these question as they may seem dumb, or inexperienced. I have never flown a rc vehicle other than a $30 heli, so I am totally clueless to some terms and things. My vision 2 is coming Monday and I would love to ask advice on a few things I just may not be clear on. This was quite an investment for me so want to make sure I do things right and have many great flying fun days. I have watch the DJI videos a few times.

1. Is there a good video to show hot to update firmware on the quad as well as remote controller? As well what steps and versions to download.

2. I understand GPS mode is the safe mode (which I will use always), and manual mode means no gps controls at all, but what exactly does atti mode mean? And will my vision 2 have all these modes I am assuming can be changed by the top right switch?

3. I am using this mostly for photos, could anyone recommend what I would use for video editing, or is Microsoft movie maker suitable?

4. Hearing all his fly away stuff really makes me Leary of flying too high or 2 far, and want to tie a string to this sucker for the first few flights. But thinking are rare cases, or does this happen to everyone? And meaning everyone with a new DJI Phantom Vision 2.

Thanks for your help I hope to be a long time member of e flying club.

Milezone

Hi, and welcome! I'll answer the questions I have answers for...

1. I don't know of one - someone might and they'll be along soon.

2. The Vision ships without any selectable modes - if it finds satellite lock it will be in GPS mode. This means if you're flying around and let go of all the controls the aircraft will use satellites to hold itself in one place horizontally (it also has a barometer built in to help maintain it's place vertically, too). If it doesn't find a satellite lock (either due to steep terrain, tree cover or being in a large indoor space, for example) it will still fly, but when you take your hands off the controls whilst it will hold its height for you, it won't know where it is by satellite so it will simply hold itself perfectly horizontal and will drift with the wind (if any). In a nutshell this is attitude mode - holding its attitude, not its position in space. It's not selectable as an option out of the box, but you can change from so-called Vision mode to NAZA mode via the software if you want the option to switch to atti mode and back to GPS at will. Get used to flying this aircraft in standard Vision mode first, then do some reading of these forums for the other changes NAZA mode brings, then think about switching!

Why might you want to? Smoother video is possible - because the aircraft doesn't fight the wind to hold station in atti mode it can result in a less jerky video.

3. Use whatever you have to hand first. Get used to it, practice editing, adding music, titles, etc. If you find you're not getting what you want and it's due to the software and not "user error" ;) then there are many options, both free and open source and commercial. See if what you've got now does the job for you.

4. These are sophisticated electronic beasts, operating in a constantly changing environment. There's no guarantee that any of us won't have a flyaway or other issue over time. However starting off low, slow and close-in is good for confidence building - both in your piloting skills and in the machine itself. The main thing is to watch your aircraft's behaviour. The moment it starts to do something unusual (like not flying straight any more, not holding a solid hover, or flying in circles) put her down and investigate. Plenty of good advice on this and other forums, too.

Oh, and read the manual. A lot. :D

And most importantly, enjoy flying!

Oh, and read the manual. A lot. ;) and a lot and a lot!!!! :cry:

This is your first RC so prepare to spend a lot of time just getting used to flying the P2V, and I am talking about 20 to 30 flights as a minimum. Learn to fly figure 8's, squares, circles, etc., to give yourself experience in controlling the P2V. At first, do not get the P2V too far away from you because of course the further it is from you the more you are going to lose orientation of the craft. BEFORE you go off shooting photos, learn how to control the P2V, as completely as possible. Only then begin to worry about photo editing!

Good luck with it and most of all, have fun!
ChesterT

You're going to love it... You'll be grinning when you send it up & take your hands off the sticks and it just sits there hovering in station staring at you. The RADAR button will become your friend when it's too far away to tell which direction it's pointing and you're trying to pilot it to where -you- want it to go. And of course everybody's favorite: when you fly out of range and it loses control signal or you switch the Controller off, it will automatically Return-to-Home.

Yes, it really does all those things and does them well (w/apologies to Kansas),
iDrone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,106
iDrone said:
You're going to love it... You'll be grinning when you send it up & take your hands off the sticks and it just sits there hovering in station staring at you. The RADAR button will become your friend when it's too far away to tell which direction it's pointing and you're trying to pilot it to where -you- want it to go. And of course everybody's favorite: when you fly out of range and it loses control signal or you switch the Controller off, it will automatically Return-to-Home.

Yes, it really does all those things and does them well,
iDrone

Instead of "image.jpg" shouldn't it be named... "rth.jpg"???? :) :D :lol:

Thanks guys for all the help, and yes I have been reading and watching videos, just want to make sure I have my bases covered. Can't wait 2 more days!!!

Milezone

milezone said:
Hi Everyone,

Please forgive me for these question as they may seem dumb, or inexperienced. I have never flown a rc vehicle other than a $30 heli, so I am totally clueless to some terms and things. My vision 2 is coming Monday and I would love to ask advice on a few things I just may not be clear on. This was quite an investment for me so want to make sure I do things right and have many great flying fun days. I have watch the DJI videos a few times.

1. Is there a good video to show hot to update firmware on the quad as well as remote controller? As well what steps and versions to download.

2. I understand GPS mode is the safe mode (which I will use always), and manual mode means no gps controls at all, but what exactly does atti mode mean? And will my vision 2 have all these modes I am assuming can be changed by the top right switch?

3. I am using this mostly for photos, could anyone recommend what I would use for video editing, or is Microsoft movie maker suitable?

4. Hearing all his fly away stuff really makes me Leary of flying too high or 2 far, and want to tie a string to this sucker for the first few flights. But thinking are rare cases, or does this happen to everyone? And meaning everyone with a new DJI Phantom Vision 2.

Thanks for your help I hope to be a long time member of e flying club.

Milezone

I found this video helpful in the upgrade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzMQAueoYXc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik