New controller auto decent - be careful

Reaction score
A word of caution. The new controller left stick will stay in the decent mode if pulled all the way down. I was out 6,000 feet and lost FPV connection. I was bringing it home and accidentally hit the decent stick and it stayed in the decent position. Without knowing it was stuck down and decending, it landed..........in 25 feet of water. My error. Happy Thansgiving.

DJI calls it "throttle lock", I call it " Really Stupid"

;)

gfm1135 said:
Thanks I will when and if I buy a new one. Mine is resting in 25 feet of freezing water.

Fresh water? if so get a buddy who dives to rescue it. (if you know where it is.) Then search for the many threads about drying out the bird.

gfm1135 said:
I wish I could. Lake is has some ice in it. To cold to dive for it.

Diving under ice is not a problem and I used to train my divers to do it working off a rope line.

The local diving club may like to take the recovery job on - will not hurt to give them a call.

May get your quad back and they will get some training.

gfm1135 said:
I wish I could. Lake is has some ice in it. To cold to dive for it.

Find a Canadian. Ice dives are actually lots of fun. I bet you would be surprised if you put something on Craigs List (or your local equivalent). Divers are always looking for a reason to go diving and this is as good as any.

Yikes. I almost also did this. Wondered why my bird was acting weird only to realize left stick was stuck down

Does anyone know the intent of DJI in adding the throttle lock? There must be a reason for it

Geert said:
Actually, I like the throttle lock feature so far.
When descending from high altitude I lock the left stick and with the right stick I move forward to avoid VRS. :D

Geert./.
I can see that working. But, just another thing to keep track of to not hit ground, or water....

Man.. that sucks. I was researching if the throttle lock would land the phantom smooth.. Didn't feel like experimenting myself.
How did you bring it home? S1 switch initiated or the vision app ?

hionbusa said:
Man.. that sucks. I was researching if the throttle lock would land the phantom smooth.. Didn't feel like experimenting myself.
How did you bring it home? S1 switch initiated or the vision app ?
throttle lock is not like auto land. It will land hard possibly breaking the camera off the gimbal

I don't have the new controller, but when I read it had a down throttle lock I assumed it was for complete motor shut-down when finished. Still pretty unnecessary and an accident waiting to happen.

Geert said:
Actually, I like the throttle lock feature so far.
When descending from high altitude I lock the left stick and with the right stick I move forward to avoid VRS. :D

Geert./.
And picking your nose with you left hand ? [emoji12]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic