New Bird in Northern Utah

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick introduction and say hello!

My name is T.J. and I'm from Northern Utah, about 30 minutes outside of Salt Lake City. I own and operate a mobile based iDevice repair company and have been enjoying buzzing around a wimpy LaTraxx Alias for a few weeks and have a ton of fun wth it.

Having taken a lot of video & film production classes back in school, and also eyeing the P3 for quite awhile, I got pushed up to the edge as our affiliate partner in the repair business announced they're considering entering a new vertical and offering DJI repair nationwide on a mobile basis as well. The DJI price drops along with me finding out about the education discount (gotta love still having that college inbox active) kicked me over the edge.

I received my P3P, (2) Extra Batteries and my Hardshell Backpack yesterday and I'm excited to go take it up this afternoon. I've got my firmware updated across all devices, batteries charged, SD Cards formatted, registration complete with the number labeled in the back of the battery compartment (**** feds), and I think I'm ready to fly.
Any other tips and advise are always welcome. I'm very technical and tend to learn hands on very quickly. I also don't plan for any heroic flights for a long while, haha.
Anyway, excited to be a part of the community and have a new creative outlet.

just take it slow and learn what it does .and most of all have fun ,welcome to forum and be safe

Reactions: BustedApples
Read the manual... then read it again. Watch a lot of instructional Youtube videos. Take it easy on your first flight and only go out a few hundred feet. Don't fly near _any_ trees or obstacles as you will get nervous. When you gt nervous trees act as magnets and draw your P3 into them.

For sure. I'm the type that absorbs as much information as possible before I pull the trigger with something, so I've watched a ton of videos on youtube, gone through all of DJI's beginner videos, watched a lot on the Tom's Tech Time channel on Youtube (I think he does great with most of his videos), etc.

Also been through literature and the like. Looks like from your location, you're not far from me. Any favorite fly zones you can suggest would be awesome.
Thanks for the input.

Read the manual... then read it again. Watch a lot of instructional Youtube videos. Take it easy on your first flight and only go out a few hundred feet. Don't fly near _any_ trees or obstacles as you will get nervous. When you gt nervous trees act as magnets and draw your P3 into them.

the education discount
Congrats on entering the community and the hobby!

BTW, what vendor/store did you get the education discount from, and how much was it?

The discount was offered directly through DJI. I believe this is the page I used to register: DJI Educational Discount | DJI Store

I was given a 10% discount code to use with Phantom 3, Inspire 1, Oslo and the other popular stuff and a 20% discount code for the lesser common products. The email stated that the accessories for the products were also bound into the groups for the discount codes, but when it came to check out, it didn't work that way.

I ended up placing two orders to be able to use both codes, and I received a 10% discount off my P3P w/Extra Battery and a 20% discount off my hardshell backpack and extra batteries. I also didn't have to pay tax through DJI like I would have going through Best Buy or a local vendor. So all in all, I saved a fairly hefty chunk of money and got everything for less than the P3P was by itself before the price drops.

Congrats on entering the community and the hobby!

BTW, what vendor/store did you get the education discount from, and how much was it?

Also been through literature and the like. Looks like from your location, you're not far from me. Any favorite fly zones you can suggest would be awesome.

90% of my flying is to get video and photos. The other 10% is for testing (new tricks, testing apps, etc).

Good places to get photos, I like the Capital Building, SL County building downtown (this can be a little tricky), any of the Temples are great. I'm thinking I might make a quick run to the Tree of Utah (anyone else... please don't look this up... it's embarrassing). This is a good website for finding good places to get photos:

Atlas Obscura | Curious and Wondrous Travel Destinations

Hahaha, I forgot about that thing. Haven't been out to Wendover in awhile

I'm thinking I might make a quick run to the Tree of Utah (anyone else... please don't look this up... it's embarrassing). This is a good website for finding good places to get photos:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20