New adv range question

Reaction score
Just got a brand new p3a, stock. Updated firmware on all, channel 20 selected as it had the least interference. I went up to about 300 ft, then sent it off. In a residential area with some trees, I get about 2000 ft away and start getting transmission weak from controller and video. I know this thing can do much more, but is that really standard with common residential wifi in area and trees getting in the way of line of sight? Just feel like maybe I should be getting more range as I see all the time people getting so much more out of their range, but maybe I am not doing something right? Btw, antennas are correctly set, and no wind today.
Also, is the adv faster than the standard? I hit 35 mph with the adv...don't remember getting over 25 with the standard!

Thanks in advance. Any questions and suggestions appreciated. I think this might be normal given my area, just want to be sure.

I get 2000 feet north flying south I get 4800feet so all depends on interference

just try flying in different directions to see what you get go up to 400 feet

Range entirely depend on the interference it gets during flight. You will definitely get more if you go to open fields.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Range entirely depend on the interference it gets during flight. You will definitely get more if you go to open fields.

100% agreed. If I move just a bit to the right,
signal drops around 2Km

fbb4df32c57d636b40c7283cec5aba82.jpg

Fair enough...need to find somewhere to fly not in my neighborhood.
Another question...is there a lens cover on this? It looks like it has a clear cover, but I don't want to try to force it off if it doesn't come off...know I am going to feel dumb on this one lol

Lots of people in the contest for the most distance but I have a P3A and just need reasonable distance and time to stop and take pictures. I fly in rural ideal conditions without trees, people or much Wi-Fi. Gain some altitude which should help with trees and buy a "windsurfer" $10 antenna mod off ebay. I flew Sunday 2 miles out and back shooting 100 pics while sitting in my pickup with the antennas pointed out the windshield. Never a blip of signal loss on the RC or video and I am happy. As far as the lens cover yes there is a clear one. Some threads about issues removing them. Don't squeeze too hard and uses multiple fingers and search for stuck lens cover on the forum. You are going to want to buy some ND filters. They help the camera deal with high brightness conditions and are a must. I use a ND8 most of the time. KW

Fair enough...need to find somewhere to fly not in my neighborhood.
Another question...is there a lens cover on this? It looks like it has a clear cover, but I don't want to try to force it off if it doesn't come off...know I am going to feel dumb on this one lol
Its a UV cover. You keep it on until you buy ND filters.

There is a plastic film over the lens cover when new.

and antennae positioning - If I am paying attention to positioning and correct it when it pixelates - it generally clears up.

and antennae positioning - If I am paying attention to positioning and correct it when it pixelates - it generally clears up.
You are right, antenna positioning is important for medium and long range flying. It's not that noticeable for short ranges such as 1000'

Got out about 2500-2800 feet today...much better...think I can go further with some more altitude...will try later.
Btw, found a really really easy solution to taking off the lens cap...the prop tool...kinda what is was made for...loosening things that are tight :)

I seem to have been limited to 500M .. It wouldn't go any further. Any suggestions??

Sent from iPhone 6 via PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes you can. I got these on amazon.com
ed1a2443e2e2d39e2c67573f6f2e5e4d.jpg

I have always thought strange that the P3 does not come with a lens cap.
It is the only camera I have ever bought that did not have a method for covering the lens when not in use.

100% agreed. If I move just a bit to the right,
signal drops around 2Km

fbb4df32c57d636b40c7283cec5aba82.jpg

Btw, I just found this capability on the app, and it says to save to album...where is the album? LOL.

And I got out to 3500 feet yesterday at the in laws...so relieved :) Could have pushed a bit further but got a bit nervous!

Hi guys .. Tks for the tip.. Was able to get out much more yesterday. Was by a friend and flew out over the Atlantic Ocean. Went to 1000M but then came back in because of slightly low battery...
506121c79e116e91df0ded08de7828f1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20