New 1.9.60 fw good vibes

Reaction score
Hi. This is only to know about those of you who has updated to 1.9.60 and are flying happily with no problem at all with the new fw. This is because I have mostly read about problems arising after updating to this firmware. I am still on 1.8.80 and see no reason to update, although it is always advisable to be in the latest fw. Thanks.

Today was my first flight after getting my replacement drone from dji. I updated to the latest fw. 1.9.6. Everything was great until the end. I brought it down and landed. All of a sudden it started speeding up and began to tip over i immediately did a CSC. I believe that is what it is called when you pull both sticks inward. At that point props stopped and it sat back down. I do remember another thread where a guy said this happened to him and him actually tipped over. Although I am not convinced that it was the fw as I may have done something. Other than that. Flight was smooth and I switched in and out of atti mode quite a bit to get a feel for it.

just purchased my drone and upgraded the AC to 1.9.6 but cant get the controller to update, flew it anyways. When i get to 1000ft away i get the weak image transmission error, i calibrate before flight and have even tried over water. Any ideas? Could it be because the RC isnt updated yet?

no worries at all..go to the dji go app. go into the settings it is at the bottom in about...it list all three I am on 2.8.3 for the dji go app 1.9.6 on the bird and 1.6 on the rc those are the most up to date

RC is 1.6

just checked my go app and theres an update released today for IOS

Any other ideas why i would be getting weak image at 1000ft?

have you checked the settings in the app to make sure you didnt limit the range to 1000 ft?

have you checked the settings in the app to make sure you didnt limit the range to 1000 ft?

yes, itll go over 1000ft plus or minus 100 feet that just seems to be the general distance it starts to give the error

Hmmm? Thanks for the replies but there is no one peaches & cream with 1.9.60. For now I will not follow the advice of always updating to the latest firmware.

I am rolling perfect with 1.9.60. I have a W323A which is one of the earlier models with the latest revision of motors. To be honest I have never noticed any difference in firmware upgrading from the fairly early versions all the way up to 1.9.60. This is my second Phantom 3, my first was the early revision and I exchanged it for the new revision for the shell, and more efficient motors.

I feel lucky to have a solid bird, and believe that firmware problems can be the result of a large number of independent factors as far as the hardware modules that are upgraded. When you perform a firmware update so many different subsystems are upgraded.

My usage also bucks many of the norms I read about like calibrating the IMU. I have never done it and do not plan on doing it unless my numbers are out of acceptable range. Many people calibrate the IMU somewhat regularly and I believe this can be problematic. If the numbers are within spec why calibrate when most of us do not have an interference free and perfectly level surface also free of any form of interference to calibrate in.

Call me a rebel, a nut, whatever. I just fly my Phantom and enjoy it without sweating all the firmware paranoia.

I will add one caveat which is I never upgrade firmware until it has been out for a while. This helped me to avoid what I consider to be the single failed firmware version that had battery issues that were serious (I forget the exact rev, it was around 1.5 I think).

DJI has been very responsive releasing regular updates that have improved the P3 which I consider to be most excellent. I believe we may be reaching a period where the P3 will begin to have far fewer updates now that the bird has been thru both a cold and hot season.

Reactions: phantomi
Today was my first flight after getting my replacement drone from dji. I updated to the latest fw. 1.9.6. Everything was great until the end. I brought it down and landed. All of a sudden it started speeding up and began to tip over i immediately did a CSC. I believe that is what it is called when you pull both sticks inward. At that point props stopped and it sat back down. I do remember another thread where a guy said this happened to him and him actually tipped over. Although I am not convinced that it was the fw as I may have done something. Other than that. Flight was smooth and I switched in and out of atti mode quite a bit to get a feel for it.

1st of all....the 1.9.6 firmware is like a nightmare waiting to happen. It should be a no brainer to steer clear of this version. I personally stopped updating at 1.4.1 and fly with tons of confidence.

As for JasonJett, your a/c (aircraft) speeding up is almost a common occurrence if the a/c was landed in a quick manner. It has to do with the barometer's pressure reading. It's is never wise to let the a/c idle for any length of time. Had it been sitting over night and you started it then allowed it to idle and it began increasing rpms, then without a doubt it has an issue that needs looked into.

just purchased my drone and upgraded the AC to 1.9.6 but cant get the controller to update, flew it anyways. When i get to 1000ft away i get the weak image transmission error, i calibrate before flight and have even tried over water. Any ideas? Could it be because the RC isnt updated yet?

Wmich06, you and any else reading this needs to know you are making a serious mistake by taking the a/c for granted. That is something you never want to do, otherwise you will find out how things did go the way you thought they would. I hate seeing pilots suffer a loss when it was completely avoidable. I'm someone that learned the hard and expensive way. I wish I had that someone that point things out so I didn't have to go the roads that I did. There is NO fun in throwing your money away over stupid mistakes. In your case it may be a good time to load the firmware before 1.9.6 in your a/c.

I am rolling perfect with 1.9.60. I have a W323A which is one of the earlier models with the latest revision of motors. To be honest I have never noticed any difference in firmware upgrading from the fairly early versions all the way up to 1.9.60. This is my second Phantom 3, my first was the early revision and I exchanged it for the new revision for the shell, and more efficient motors.

I feel lucky to have a solid bird, and believe that firmware problems can be the result of a large number of independent factors as far as the hardware modules that are upgraded. When you perform a firmware update so many different subsystems are upgraded.

My usage also bucks many of the norms I read about like calibrating the IMU. I have never done it and do not plan on doing it unless my numbers are out of acceptable range. Many people calibrate the IMU somewhat regularly and I believe this can be problematic. If the numbers are within spec why calibrate when most of us do not have an interference free and perfectly level surface also free of any form of interference to calibrate in.

Call me a rebel, a nut, whatever. I just fly my Phantom and enjoy it without sweating all the firmware paranoia.

I will add one caveat which is I never upgrade firmware until it has been out for a while. This helped me to avoid what I consider to be the single failed firmware version that had battery issues that were serious (I forget the exact rev, it was around 1.5 I think).

DJI has been very responsive releasing regular updates that have improved the P3 which I consider to be most excellent. I believe we may be reaching a period where the P3 will begin to have far fewer updates now that the bird has been thru both a cold and hot season.
I am more or less on the same boat as you, but I must say that the last release bring to me many error message during flight that I even didn't see in the flight log file. I even used a screen recorder last time to be sure of message I got during the flight. This happen one flight over 5 I would say and most of the time it is during the first one of the day. All rest is fine, it flight well, apart that they mess up the flight records file format with the GO app 2.8.4 version on Android, so now it requires to get the .DAT file from the bird if you want to understand something.
IMO they tuned some limits for warning/error message and they put some of the limits too low. They have some redundant flight information for speed, altitude, direction from the compas, GPS, barometer and they compare (speed, height, direction can be checked). I get the feeling that it happen with some wind gust and low accuracy of GPS (not low number of satellite, but higher error in the position).

Never be "first on the block" to do anything.
Also, the 1.9.6 description offers nothing that I need/want.
When the description offers something that fixes a "prob", then I'll update.
BUT... I don't have a problem. :)

Reactions: TrevorTron

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik