Never see videos of the landing...

Reaction score
I have seen some beautiful movie quality video but I never get to see the landing. Do most people hand catch or set it down and cut motors? Do they tend to lay over at all when ground landing? Show the last few seconds of those videos and let's see some landings, please.

For me, it depends on the terrain and wind. I'll hand catch if the ground is not level or it's too windy to maintain a steady hover.

All three of my Phantom amateur videos thus far have showed the landing. You'll have to skip to the end of each to see that part though. Never had a tip-over problem. But then again I bought mine from a dealer in-person (coptershop.com) and got tips from them and also watched the video from DJI (both of which use the 'left stick down for 3 seconds' technique for stopping the motors) before I flew.

I usually kill the video before hand catching. The infrequent times I land, I'll leave it on. Not too eventful--fortunately :)

I have seen some beautiful movie quality video but I never get to see the landing. Do most people hand catch or set it down and cut motors? Do they tend to lay over at all when ground landing? Show the last few seconds of those videos and let's see some landings, please.

I also include the landing on mine, i think it a fitting conclusion to flight and video.

I always cut my landings out of my videos, its pretty much the least interesting part of the footage; a lot of slow hovering and slow descent, I assume most other people do too. I have never hand caught my drones, to me that's like playing russian roulette with a blender.

I've had one tip over out of about 300hrs of flying and that was because the grass was so thick the Phantom could not land level and the battery made it tip over backwards. After that I won't even take off until I've found a flat place to do so. I've even used my Phantom's hard case as a take off and landing pad when there were no other options.

I keep meaning to build or buy something to use as a landing pad mainly because of the dust and dirt that gets kicked up by the Phantom's blades. The problem with a landing pad is that I have to move quite often while flying to stay off the camera, a landing pad would be one more thing I'd have to keep off camera. So its a bit of a catch 22.

Last edited:
I have lots of videos, but they all end 6 feet above the ground in a hover. As a creature of habit, I stop the video and hand catch. No drama, no debris kicked up to stick in motors, and no tip overs.

For me, it depends on the terrain and wind. I'll hand catch if the ground is not level or it's too windy to maintain a steady hover.

This my answer exactly. I do like to land it but only when its safe to do so.

I'm not sure why everyone is scared or complains about landings. I prefer to land unless space only permits a hand catch. Is it really that hard to some people? I think all of my videos feature landing and some takeoff. Unless I'm editing a pro quality flick. I don't cut out anything. The only thing I will never do is CSC upon landing. That gives the motors a chance to roll and tip the bird. Just a simple left stick down shutdown.

It's not that it's hard, but the Phantom has tall legs and I for one don't want a tip over.

I'm not sure why everyone is scared or complains about landings. I prefer to land unless space only permits a hand catch. Is it really that hard to some people? I think all of my videos feature landing and some takeoff. Unless I'm editing a pro quality flick. I don't cut out anything. The only thing I will never do is CSC upon landing. That gives the motors a chance to yaw and tip the bird. Just a simple left stick down shutdown.
+1, I'm actually surprised at the posts which say how difficult it is to land. I've never had any difficulties whatsoever. Hands off the sticks a few feet above the ground and it hovers just fine, then bring it down to the ground, just like the instructional video from DJI, and cut the motors with the left stick. In locations where the bird may kick up dust, I have a 10x12 tarp to lay down and it does great. My second video even has a landing on a relatively non-level surface (best I could find) and it did great. I'd be far more worried about hand-catching it than landing, especially if I'm by myself.

I didn't even realize you could catch it :) I always land it and never had any issues with it, just slowly lower it until it touches the ground and shut off the motors. But now I'm curious to try catching it. Does it shut off the motors automatically once you're holding it or how does it work?

Nice landings Vegas. I'm not too sure I want to catch that thing, I guess I would if I had to but if iy will land that smooth, I see no reason to get my hand involved. Nice job.

try one of these- works good and keeps the Phantom of the ground
http://www.uavbits.net/store/p13/Helipad.html

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik