Neutral density filters

Reaction score
Thinking of of the ND filters from Wex Photograhpic.
DJI ND16 Filter for Phantom 3
It states:
"The ND16 filter is specifically made for the DJI Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced."
Does anybody know if these are suitable/will fit, the P3 Standard.
Anybody used them?

As a real photographer, I have yet to understand the DJI community's preoccupation with ND filters. It is akin to pulling off a couple of sparkplug wires in an attempt to go faster thinking those extra pistons are slowing your engine down.. These little cameras do not have enough glass in front of the sensor to really gather much light to begin with, and to starve it even more for what it really needs, I don't get it. You have ISO, Shutter, Aperture and EV increments,(exposure compensation).

In conventional photography if you have too much light you stop down some, giving a better depth of field, and speed up the shutter, eilminating a small amount of motion blur, both good things.

As a real photographer, I have yet to understand the DJI community's preoccupation with ND filters. It is akin to pulling off a couple of sparkplug wires in an attempt to go faster thinking those extra pistons are slowing your engine down.. These little cameras do not have enough glass in front of the sensor to really gather much light to begin with, and to starve it even more for what it really needs, I don't get it. You have ISO, Shutter, Aperture and EV increments,(exposure compensation).

In conventional photography if you have too much light you stop down some, giving a better depth of field, and speed up the shutter, eilminating a small amount of motion blur, both good things.

Hi Kirby, still images and motion images are 2 different beasts. (No offence, I'm assuming that you're a still photographer. I'm also a still photographer by trade)

one man's meat is another man's poison

Hi Kirby, still images and motion images are 2 different beasts. (No offence, I'm assuming that you're a still photographer. I'm also a still photographer by trade)

one man's meat is another man's poison
Well, Thanks, I admit I do not know much about video. I had kind of assumed it was very similar, but, yes my experience is in still (The camera anyway) photography. If the 3S is missing most of the controls I mentioned, I can see how a filter might beat waiting for a cloudy day. :)

Firstly, the amount of glass you have in front of the sensor doesn't control the amount of light you gather....that's determined by the aperture.
Secondly, for video you need to reduce your shutter speed to approximately twice the frame rate you're shooting at in order to get smooth video. If you video a moving car with a shutter speed of 1/1000th for example, you will see the car moving along in a jerky motion which looks quite unnatural.

Reactions: andrewkhoo
Well, Thanks, I admit I do not know much about video. I had kind of assumed it was very similar, but, yes my experience is in still (The camera anyway) photography. If the 3S is missing most of the controls I mentioned, I can see how a filter might beat waiting for a cloudy day. :)
You're welcome mate. Even if p4p, the smallest aperture is still insufficient to have 1/50 on a sunny day.

It's all about the cinematic feel at the end. :S

Some how, I'm also waiting for affordable ND filter sets too.

Thinking of of the ND filters from Wex Photograhpic.
DJI ND16 Filter for Phantom 3
It states:
"The ND16 filter is specifically made for the DJI Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced."
Does anybody know if these are suitable/will fit, the P3 Standard.
Anybody used them?
I don't know about these filters specifically but to successfully do video ND's are needed. Unlike still imaging, the general objective for video in to reduce the shutter speed down to twice the frame rate. This can vary depending upon any specific "effect" you are looking to achieve. It might be in you interest to get a suite of ND lenses to use for variable ambient lighting conditions. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Firstly, the amount of glass you have in front of the sensor doesn't control the amount of light you gather....that's determined by the aperture.
Secondly, for video you need to reduce your shutter speed to approximately twice the frame rate you're shooting at in order to get smooth video. If you video a moving car with a shutter speed of 1/1000th for example, you will see the car moving along in a jerky motion which looks quite unnatural.
Glass as in lens buddy

Rocky, I think most of us understand the F-stop conventions. What I was originally referring to about 'Glass' is the tiny 20mm LENS on the DJI. It doesnt matter if you open a lens up to zero you just are not getting a lot of light through a 20mm lens. IE: most of us are familiar with handheld cameras with 40 or 50 mm lenses. A 40 mm lens will admit 4 times the light that the 20 will. Sorry if I was misunderstood. When talking about how much light is available, the F-stop is pretty much after the fact. There that is probably enough info to be dangerous.. Toodle pip.

Video is very different. Motion pictures are normally taken at 25 fps for a realistic smooth video. egg a car moving looks smooth. If the frame rate is too high it looks jerry. Since the aperture is FIXED at 2.8 the only way to use 25 fps is to reduce the light with a ND filter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Video is very different. Motion pictures are normally taken at 25 fps for a realistic smooth video. egg a car moving looks smooth. If the frame rate is too high it looks jerry. Since the aperture is FIXED at 2.8 the only way to use 25 fps is to reduce the light with a ND filter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Gotcha. Thanks. I replied thinking of still photography and am learning.

Hi guys, thanks for an interesting discussion but I think we've wandered off thread a little.
Wondering if the Advanced and Prof fliters will fit the standard.

I have a set from neewer which I bought from amazon. They are OK but there are better ones out there.
Cheers. I looked at those, being an ex-semi pro stills photographer and often paying into three figures for one filter isn't surprising, and the Neewer did seems to quite cut it. However the lens on the Standard doesn't warrant top end filters, not that I could find any easily. Having dealt with Wex their reputation is good so I'm assuming the filters advertised are mid range. It would be nice to get an opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik