Needed software

Reaction score
I have just bought an P2 with Zenmuse H3-3D, i want to download some needed software but there seems to be a ton of different softwares and apps for the DJI Phantom 2. Which softwares do i need?

The Phantom said:
I have just bought an P2 with Zenmuse H3-3D, i want to download some needed software but there seems to be a ton of different softwares and apps for the DJI Phantom 2. Which softwares do i need?

go into the Support area of DJI.com... you'll need an account there to log in to the softwares btw

I always start with the DJI Driver pack (windows) just to be safe
then go to the RC assistant. plug in the RC, run the RC assistant and make sure the RC is on the latest firmware, then do a calibration.

Now you can plug in the Phantom and move to thePhantom Assistant software. Link goes to the latest version which just came out this week. Do any necessary firmware upgrades, then it is highly recommended that you go to Basic / RC tab and run more controller calibrations.
If you have any trouble with the sticks or X1 lever not controlling the gimal right, do more calibrations first in the RC assistant (with RC plugged in) then the Phantom Assistant

if you're putting in an iOSD Mini, here is that assistant software

you're very welcome. for what it's worth, I'd recommend getting some practice in with the raw Phantom before you go installing the gimbal. If you crash which is very likely, most of us do at some point when we're new... if you have any small crash the extremely sensitive gimbal can get damaged easily.
better to practice for some time with the raw Phantom at short range with good line of sight until you are comfortable with the flight characteristics and such. THEN go adding the gimbal, gopro, etc. don't forget there will be additional firmware upgrade for the gimbal when you do finally attach it.

another newbie tip: don't take off "gently". if you go to take off and sloooowly raise the throttle it'll probably tip over and break a prop.. breaking props is not a big deal but they're pricey so why waste them. When you are ready to take off, give it full throttle until it safely lifts off the ground a few feet before you throttle back, hover, test your directions, etc.

A similar principle applies in reverse... if you're landing on the ground and have any lateral movement when you touch down it's very prone to tipping over. again, no real harm except props but after you get comfortable flying and controlling the device you'll probably want to start catching it instead of landing... when done properly it's perfectly safe. an example of a good safe catch (imo) is in the first 30 seconds of this video

have fun! be safe :)

Thanks, by the way do you know if the gopro hero 3 plus works with the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal? Since its 20 percent smaller?

I'm running a Hero3+ black also, check out the below thread for what can happen if the gimbal isn't perfectly balanced, and my redneck solution :)
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21345

Now i heard from another person its not smaller than the non plus model. Is the balance thing a common problem?

I don't know the exact point where an "occasional" problem becomes a "common" problem, but if you look through the H3-3D gimbal subform you'll see there are indeed people all having similar issue... but bear in mind places like this are where people with problems come to chat, so how many H3-3D gimbals are out there NOT having any issue? what percentage are failing? I have no idea. but it's common enough that plenty of people have it and afaik I'm the only one that's sat down and traced it (with IrishSights help of course) to a balance problem on that particular axis and adding a teensy bit of counterweight like I describe in my videos has worked out for everyone that's tried it so far.

Some guys go back and try to get a new gimbal from their vendor... sometimes that works sometimes the new gimbal has the same issue so I figure if a few pieces of tape solve my issue I'm fine with it.
You may wind up having no issue at all... but if you do have it at least you know where to come for a fix :)

btw the issue I describe is REALLY bad if you don't install the interference board and upgrade the gimbal firmware to latest. making sure you're on latest firmware fixes it for many people, and it greatly reduced the problem on MY setup but it didn't eliminate it completely. but without the interference board and new firmware my gimbal was basically un-useable

yes its always good to know, i thought the interference board must be installed at all times, do people install the gimbal without the board?
About the firmware update, I've read that some people have bricked their gimbals when trying to do the firmware update, so is that a common problem, i was hoping maybe my gimbal is up to date and doesn't need any updates? Which is the latest version?

The Phantom said:
yes its always good to know, i thought the interference board must be installed at all times, do people install the gimbal without the board?
About the firmware update, I've read that some people have bricked their gimbals when trying to do the firmware update, so is that a common problem, i was hoping maybe my gimbal is up to date and doesn't need any updates? Which is the latest version?

I didn't get online much this weekend... A few people (myself included) think that board is optional and try without it. I feel like I've seen people posting previously about running without it and being ok but mine certainly wasn't.

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention but I have not seen many reports of simple firmware update bricking h3-3d gimbals... when done properly of course. If you pull the cable or lose power or some crazy thing during a firmware update (to any device... gimbal, router, laptop whatever) you'll brick it.

I wouldn't be concerned with a simple firmware update bricking any of your stuff. what are the absolute latest versions? Heck I don't remember they're in the assistant software on the Update tab. you don't HAVE to actually run them if you don't want, you can cancel and still use the assistant sw without running the upgrade.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4