Need to operate on and near airports

Reaction score
I am appropriately registered sUAS and fixed wing commercial pilot, with a need to operate both within airport boundaries and within the 2 and 5 mile radii of airports. Among the uses are hangar roof inspection, searching for perimeter intruders and wildlife nesting sites. The DJI Phantom 4 appears completely useless for this application. Is there a flight mode which overrides, so that we can fly there when 110℅ legally

Reactions: BigAl07
With the latest DJI go app versions, you are supposed to be able to have flights in local like that unlocked by requesting thorough DJI. Posts here have reported mixed results and it's apparently only temporary. I some older versions of the app where they first started implementing it, you can turn off the Geofence feature. Sounds like yours could be a long term operation, might want to look into downgrading. I suspect that others in similar situations will look at other brands to get around the whole issue.

I am appropriately registered sUAS and fixed wing commercial pilot, with a need to operate both within airport boundaries and within the 2 and 5 mile radii of airports. Among the uses are hangar roof inspection, searching for perimeter intruders and wildlife nesting sites. The DJI Phantom 4 appears completely useless for this application. Is there a flight mode which overrides, so that we can fly there when 110℅ legally

Unlock your NFZ by sending in your cell phone number. A text will come back in about 5 seconds and you will be able to fly. The apparent function of this request is to move the burden of responsibility to the flyer from the company should you do something stupid in an NFZ.

Turn off Geo-Fencing.

I have one more test to perform this afternoon to confirm flights literally "next to the tower" at our local airport are possible with the P4.

AD (and yes, for all of you who may be horribly concerned, it's with the tower blessings)

OK, just finished a test at the airport to CONFIRM that the P4 will fly well within a NFZ.

Started right up. Brought to a hover. Landed, of course, as this was only a test and had no real purpose to be flying in the cell phone lot of the airport other than to test this function.

A few months ago I did the authorization process to remove the NFZ restriction using my cell phone right on the spot. I also have GeoFencing turned off.

I'm sure your P4 will perform the same and as long as you have the permissions needed to do those inspections, I would think you're good to go.

AD

With the latest DJI go app versions, you are supposed to be able to have flights in local like that unlocked by requesting thorough DJI. Posts here have reported mixed results and it's apparently only temporary.

I did my NFZ authorization (text to cell) in October and it appears to still be in effect as we type.

AD

Yes on the NFZ authorization.
I live 1 mile from a small airport. I had issues on my first day tring to fly by my house.
Called the tower, got authorization, DJI app asked for confirmation.... I didnt do it fast enough, alrady had my drone in the air 20 ft, it was overided and force landed into my bushes!.
I called again, turned on my drone and waited for the authoriztion info to pop up on the DJI app.
Logged on and clicked "yes" but had to enter my cell phone number which tx me a token#.
No proplems now.. They know me in the tower now.. lol

Yes on the NFZ authorization.
I live 1 mile from a small airport. I had issues on my first day tring to fly by my house.
Called the tower, got authorization, DJI app asked for confirmation.... I didnt do it fast enough, alrady had my drone in the air 20 ft, it was overided and force landed into my bushes!.
I called again, turned on my drone and waited for the authoriztion info to pop up on the DJI app.
Logged on and clicked "yes" but had to enter my cell phone number which tx me a token#.
No proplems now.. They know me in the tower now.. lol

What number do you text or call to have nfz unlocked I may be doing so filming at our local airport And what is the procedure to do it

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj