Need to calibrate compass 4-5 times before flying

Reaction score
Hi,

Everytime i am going to fly my Phantom 1 i have to calibrate compass 4-5 times before i can fly it. It doesnt react on the sticks.

Is there enyone her that know what the problem can be?

Thomas

You seem to imply you have successfully flown. What is different between your successful times and your not so successfully times?

What is your procedure from powering up to getting in the air? Are you away from metals that may affect calibration? Do you take off from a grassy area or concrete area?

What are your LED's flashing during your warmup and calibration period?

The more you describe it the more likely someone here can assist you.

Yes, after I calibrated the compass 4-5 times, I can activate the Phantom by remote control. It flies fine and everything works as it should. When I replace the battery with a new one and will fly again I have to calibrate 4-5 times again.

I have tried it on grass, asphalt, wooden decks without any change. The LED glows green as it should.

Here is my startup procedure:
1 Turns on the remote control
2 Putting the battery in Phantom
3 Waiting for 1 min ..
4 Calibrating
5 Put Phantom on the ground (grass)
5 It flashes green as it should

When i am going to turn the engine on, nothing happens. I have to do the calibration again 3-4 times, and then everything works as it should.

I hope somebody can help me :)

Thomas

If we are discussing a Phantom 1, I might suggest first downloading the manuals from the DJI web site.
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/download

The manual will detail the sequence for starting up the Phantom and the sequence of flashes required prior to flight. Waiting a minute may not be sufficient time for the Phantom to warm up and this would be indicated by the proper sequence of flashes.

Second, a compass calibration may not have a bearing on whether the motors turn on. You may need to perform an advanced calibration by connecting the Phantom to a computer as detailed in the manual. Your sticks may not be functioning optimally insuring the proper start up or Combination Stick Command as described in the manual.

Third, being able to fly flawlessly one time and not being able to start up another may mean a loose connection in the transmitter or the receiver within the Phantom. A situation you seriously should avoid, as it may occur when you are flying.

Start simple, place the Phantom on the ground, make sure the switches on the transmitter are in the correction positions, turn on the transmitter, plug in the battery on the Phantom and leave it alone until you have seen all of the flashes as indicated in the manual and finally start the motors. Fly up three feet and then land. Repeat this over and over until it flies without a failure. Fly no higher than three feet or so. Check all stick movements to make sure the Phantom responds properly. Do you lose the LEDs either on the Phantom or on the transmitter? Is your battery connection solid?

If it fails, connect Phantom to a computer and follow the instructions in the manual. Then repeat the testing. If it fails, then you may need to take the Phantom apart.

HOWEVER, if under warranty contact the vendor from whom you purchased the Phantom and seek repair or replacement before attempting any repairs. Explain what you have tried and how it has failed.

Remember too, some of this testing can be done without the props installed on the Phantom to reduce the risk of damaging yourself, the Phantom or losing the Phantom in a flyaway.

Im just doing an update on my Phantom 1 and now it comes up that
compas needs calibrating ?
did a basic cali all ok
tried advanced and keeps saying let it cool down.
have done this a few times with the same error and its stone cold?

Any ideas?

Steve O said:
Im just doing an update on my Phantom 1 and now it comes up that
compas needs calibrating ?
did a basic cali all ok
tried advanced and keeps saying let it cool down.
have done this a few times with the same error and its stone cold?

Any ideas?

I've read two options:
1) let it cool down, then start the software and go right to the calibration. Don't give it a chance to warm up by playing around in the software. Go quickly to the calibration step.
2) software glitch, ignore it. Click okay and let the calibration take place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav