Need some advice: GoPro Video format

Reaction score
I need some expert advice! Tonight I flew for the first time with the gimbal and GoPro onboard and took a little 8 minute video. As my kit suggested I recorded in 2.7k, 30 FPS. I uploaded the video into GoPro Studio and removed the fisheye and exported the file. But when the file plays it skips. Can someone tell me why and how to fix it?

Also, when you are flying what setting do your prefer to record in and why?

Thank you!

More then likely your computer does not have enough horsepower to play a 2.7k video. Try running the video through GoPro Studio again, but decrease the size to at least 1080. Smaller (720) may be even better, if your computer can't handle playing the video.

OverheadAerial said:
I need some expert advice! Tonight I flew for the first time with the gimbal and GoPro onboard and took a little 8 minute video. As my kit suggested I recorded in 2.7k, 30 FPS. I uploaded the video into GoPro Studio and removed the fisheye and exported the file. But when the file plays it skips. Can someone tell me why and how to fix it?

Also, when you are flying what setting do your prefer to record in and why?

Thank you!

What are your PC specs? As OP said your CPU, etc. probably isn't able to cope.

Yeah I'd agree with the others and say the computer cannot handle the playback. What format did you export it in? Remember H264 is a highly compressed codec that requires quite a bit of CPU power to playback. On top of that your resolution is 2.7k at 30fps so that doesn't help.

Is there a reason you shot in 2.7k? Do you plan on digitally zooming into the footage in post or playing back on a monitor greater than 1080? As Buk said you may find 1080 or 720 is acceptable for your needs.

Personally I usually shoot in 1080p @ 25fps as that is the format I will be using as my final output (25fps because I'm in a PAL region. You'd be better on 29.97 (30) if you're in the US though to suit with your NTSC format)

If I plan on slowing footage down I'd opt for a higher framerate such as 50 or 60 although my playback speed would remain at 25. Then also if I planned on cropping in on my footage I'd do what you did and shoot at 2.7k to give me the flexibility of choosing my 1080 frame from the larger 2.7 one.

This is one of the better YouTube videos out there to talk about the different settings on your GoPro and what works best in a given condition: http://youtu.be/_tnQLPO-8TY

I have not recorded in 2.7K, mostly just 1080P/30FPS and 1080P/60FPS. You will want to download the VLC Media Player, which is an open source video player that works for watching videos in high FPS - Quicktime and Windows Media Player are limited to 30FPS and will look choppy/jumpy. I have not ever recorded in 2.7K but I imagine it would probably play that too. Just be cautious that you download the right VLC Medial player from Videolan.org and not one from an external site as it could contain malware/viruses.

And if you're still getting chopy video in VLC, goto Video - Resize - 50% or even 25% for 2.7k and it should play ok.
But lately I replay my videos directly GoPro -> HDMI (+ micro adapter) -> TV to really see what I got. Then edit on PC.
I also capture 1080@50fps with ProTune. Adobe Premiere then bumps the framerate down to whatever is best for export, ie. Vimeo is 29fps, iirc.
2.7k is good if you intend to zoom in or slightly scale the shot to remove landing gear, props, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj