Need some Advice for which Phantom to buy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to flying drones. But I love RC's,especially cars. Now, I'm looking to expand into drones because they look like tones of fun. I'm not a professional videographer, photographer or anything like that.

I'm looking into getting either the Standard or Advanced, 1080p camera is good enough for my purposes, I was just considering the advanced because I like the idea of going far into the sea and taking videos of ships and all that. My brain is telling me to get the standard since its cheaper and I'm a beginner. Although, my gut is telling me to get the advanced since it will be more fun in the long run.

1. Can anyone tell me more about these two and will the extra distance really be more fun?
2. Can the standard go beyond the 500 meter limit or is that it?

Thanks guys

Do not be cheap. Get pro. 1. Charger 2. Zoom (from 4k to HD)

And yes both can go over 500 meters. Just send your P3 as far as possible, go up 500 meters, press "go Home", push the left stick up. You can get to 800 meters easily.

Do not be cheap. Get pro. 1. Charger 2. Zoom (from 4k to HD)

And yes both can go over 500 meters. Just send your P3 as far as possible, go up 500 meters, press "go Home", push the left stick up. You can get to 800 meters easily.

Thanks for the reply. I wish I could spend all I want but I'm a college student. Got a Budget. That's actually the main reason for my post.

Welcome! There are a bunch of really smart helpful people here to help!

The standard will go further in optimal conditions especially at sea... But you'll be lucky to get 500 m in town or in the woods. Do you really want to be limited. By where you go? There are many who have spent a boat load more $ modding the P3S to double the range for about $200-300 but at that point you've just bought a P3P.

I don't like limitations and I don't like breaking my projects with experiments so I just spent the extra $ on the P3P instead of the P3A. The 4K camera has a fan and transmits video at a higher bit rate Mbps than the 1080. It's the difference between 10 Mbps and 2 Mbps. You can always buy a better camera later and the P3A is essentially the same thing as the P3P besides the 4K camera.

My vote is for the P3A. The inspire transmitter is worth the extra money for sure- it includes legendary proprietary light bridge technology. The P3A and P3P both use the lightbridge... Don't under estimate it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Welcome! There are a bunch of really smart helpful people here to help!

The standard will go further in optimal conditions especially at sea... But you'll be lucky to get 500 m in town or in the woods. Do you really want to be limited. By where you go? There are many who have spent a boat load more $ modding the P3S to double the range for about $200-300 but at that point you've just bought a P3P.

I don't like limitations and I don't like breaking my projects with experiments so I just spent the extra $ on the P3P instead of the P3A. The 4K camera has a fan and transmits video at a higher bit rate Mbps than the 1080. It's the difference between 10 Mbps and 2 Mbps. You can always buy a better camera later and the P3A is essentially the same thing as the P3P besides the 4K camera.

My vote is for the P3A. The inspire transmitter is worth the extra money for sure- it includes legendary proprietary light bridge technology. Don't under estimate it.

Thanks. I thought The advanced and Pro also had the lightbridge technology? Correct me if im wrong. I just watched a few youtube videos. But thanks, I'll get the advanced. As I said earlier though, I'm cash constrained. If I wasn't, I'd just buy the pro. :D :D :D

Thanks. I thought The advanced and Pro also had the lightbridge technology? Correct me if im wrong. I just watched a few youtube videos. But thanks, I'll get the advanced. As I said earlier though, I'm cash constrained. If I wasn't, I'd just buy the pro. :D :D :D
P3P is on sale for $999 now. If you are a student it is not a big deal to make some extra cash on construction.

If you choose p3p, go for p3p +1 extra batt for only 1079 bucks. (Only 79$ for 1 batt)
But, i will get the adv one, bcs i am not photographer, i don't need 4k quality, also don't have equipment for 4k render.
Try to watch some 2.7k or HD clips on youtube. If you say the quality is ok, go for adv.

I would say definetly go for atleast the Advanced because everyone says lightbridge definetly is worth it!

However you should know that except for the camera and the charger the professional still has better lightbridge feed.

As in what you see on your smartphone/tablet while you fly. The Advanced is capped at 2 Mbit/s and the Professional does 10 Mbit/s.

And if you're using something like an iPad or FPV goggles the difference is noticeable

I like the idea of going far into the sea and taking videos of ships and all that
Get the Advanced then for sure. It's available at a great price right now and offers some important extras over the Standard (in addition to the increased range). My favorites are the better quality remote controller, additional buttons on the remote controller, a tablet mount on the remote controller (the Standard can only hold a phone out of the box), and GPS + GLONASS (the Standard uses GPS only).

Get the Advanced then for sure. It's available at a great price right now and offers some important extras over the Standard (in addition to the increased range). My favorites are the better quality remote controller, additional buttons on the remote controller, a tablet mount on the remote controller (the Standard can only hold a phone out of the box), and GPS + GLONASS (the Standard uses GPS only).
I agree. I have the pro but if I was buying a unit on a budget today, I'd stretch to the 3A. The price is easing and it's a great bit of kit.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you absolutely can't afford the pro, buy the advanced. The distance capability will set you free! All other cheaper drones (including the P3 STANDARD) uses Wifi instead of Lightbridge. Wifi is garbage in comparison. Ask anyone that has flown both.

Don't even think about the standard, it's a waste of money after the first week of flying. If you do buy a STANDARD, make sure you buy from Amazon, because YOU WILL be sending it back.

Before you spend $800 on a nice P3A, buy a cheap $50 indoor drone to master reverse navigation and orientation skills. It will help you avoid crashing your $800 baby.

After the P3A purchase, these items below are what you're going to want when you discover the possibilities available with Lightbridge:

1. One or two extra batteries (~$134/ea)
2. 100 Watt charger ($60) The Advanced comes with a 57W charger
3. Carbon Fiber camera guard, installed between the landing gear ($10-$25)
4. Gimbal Guard arm ($45)
5. Backpack case ($40-$170) Hiking or biking into the wilderness with a Phantom 3A/P is absolutely awesome.

It adds up, fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: zelius92
There is an ongoing thread on "Regrets". If you go through it you would notice that people are regretting not going for the next level by stretching the budget a bit. Don't regret, if you intend to buy standard, go for Advance and so on. There is a substantial jump from standard to advance in light bridge technology.

I would buy the Advanced, uses a direct cable connection to your phone/app (not a WiFi hotspot like the Standard does), and the Advanced has much better range. If you don't buy the Advanced you will regret it.

But perhaps before you buy the Advanced you should get a cheap copter like a Syma X5C or MJX X600. Learn how to fly those and flying the P3A will be like driving a Cadillac. Plus if anything goes wrong with GPS on the P3A you will know how to fly manually.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. It really made my decision a lot easier. I just ordered the Advance with an extra battery, and I also ordered a BLADE Nano QX just to start learning.

Congeatulations zelius92! Be sure to reply back and tell us what you thought after you've gotten the drone and flown it :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj