Need recommendations for an on board tx.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been given a Phantom 1.0 with a Chinese gimbal that was never flown. I have since put in the upgrade board and have the gimbal installed and working.
But now I need some way to monitor the camera tilt angle when to high to see the camera from the ground. I'm wanting some advice on whats available now. I guess I need a 5.8ghz tx for the Phantom, I have a GoPro 3 Black that has a micro HDMI out and a mini usb connection, And then a small ground station I can mount on the transmitter. Is there a legal limit in the US for tx wattage?
I've seen some DIY setups using a car backup camera screen. I also saw a Banggood set up all together reviewed for like $50. Is something like this available in the USA?
Oh, and does anyone know what the other pot under the gimbal tilt pot is for?
Thanks
Cheers
Brian

Hey Brian, welcome to the forum. I see you posted eight days ago and no responses. I just got in here today or I would have hit you before now. This P1 board is getting less and less action these days, with everyone playing with their 3s and 4s, so just try to be patient. As for your question regarding a transmitter, yep, a 5.8GHz is a must. The power output of course, is up to you, but from a number of reads on here over the past year or so, it seems that antenna choice is much more important than output power in mw. The Flysight video transmitter in my sig has served me well, and after my first Phantom crash in April of '15, I got the exact same unit for the replacement bird. For the receiver, the black pearl is very popular and I haven't had any problems with it. A good power output with significant range for your vTx seems to be either the 400mw or the 600mw. Keep in mind that going over 400mw usually means an installed fan which adds weight and increases the power demand from the battery source.

If you go to Amazon or Ebay and search 5.8 GHz video transmitter FPV, I'm sure you'll find plenty to choose from. When you narrow your choices to two or three, let us know and I'm sure someone will help you out deciding which to get.

As for the legal limit, if you're broadcasting live video over the airwaves, you are technically a TV station and need a license anyway. But I've seen Black Mamba vTxs up to 2000mw, that's just crazy hot and a lot of extra weight. I think 400-600 would serve you well. Keep us posted as you equip your bird for FPV and we'll help as much as we can.

Fly safe...

Hey Brian, welcome to the forum. I see you posted eight days ago and no responses. I just got in here today or I would have hit you before now. This P1 board is getting less and less action these days, with everyone playing with their 3s and 4s, so just try to be patient. As for your question regarding a transmitter, yep, a 5.8GHz is a must. The power output of course, is up to you, but from a number of reads on here over the past year or so, it seems that antenna choice is much more important than output power in mw. The Flysight video transmitter in my sig has served me well, and after my first Phantom crash in April of '15, I got the exact same unit for the replacement bird. For the receiver, the black pearl is very popular and I haven't had any problems with it. A good power output with significant range for your vTx seems to be either the 400mw or the 600mw. Keep in mind that going over 400mw usually means an installed fan which adds weight and increases the power demand from the battery source.

If you go to Amazon or Ebay and search 5.8 GHz video transmitter FPV, I'm sure you'll find plenty to choose from. When you narrow your choices to two or three, let us know and I'm sure someone will help you out deciding which to get.

As for the legal limit, if you're broadcasting live video over the airwaves, you are technically a TV station and need a license anyway. But I've seen Black Mamba vTxs up to 2000mw, that's just crazy hot and a lot of extra weight. I think 400-600 would serve you well. Keep us posted as you equip your bird for FPV and we'll help as much as we can.

Fly safe...
Hi Rebel,

Well I've done some research and I think I'm going to get a Team Black Sheep Unify Pro5.8g HV tx with the Triumph antennas.
I found out that in the US you need a Ham license at 600mw and higher, this tx is adjustable from 25mw to 800mw. It has a 500mw setting that I'll probably use.
Now I need to find a compatible rx that will output to the 7" android device I have. Any ideas?
Thanks
Brian

Well, that sounds like a great option, having an adjustable power output on the vTx. I'll be interested to see how that works out. As for the video receiver output to an Android device, sorry, no idea. I am the world's worst hater of all phones, tablets, pads, android, ios, you name it. It's really strange, since I'm a PC technician, but I just can't stand the things. I guess it has to do with what the devices have done to the culture. People can't seem to exist in any realm without their face glued to something. But that's my problem. Hopefully someone will pick up on your post and give you some helpful suggestions. At any rate, let us know how the TBS Unify works out.

As for the video receiver output to an Android device, sorry, no idea. I am the world's worst hater of all phones, tablets, pads, android, ios, you name it. It's really strange, since I'm a PC technician, but I just can't stand the things. I guess it has to do with what the devices have done to the culture. People can't seem to exist in any realm without their face glued to something. But that's my problem. Hopefully someone will pick up on your post and give you some helpful suggestions. At any rate, let us know how the TBS Unify works out.
Hey Rebel,

I know just what you mean, I've been ignorant about Android and Apple. I even have a flip phone still. I too am a PC tech and aCisco Network Associate, so now I'm trying to learn about Android since I've got that 7" tablet that I never really used all that much.
I have learned that I can update it to the latest and greatest OS flavor. Even if it is probably 4-5 years old. So I'm hoping it will make a good monitor.
I just need to find out what vrx to use and how to output to the tablet. Can I use any 5.8 vrx? I need to find out. I'm hoping I'll have some time to figure this out before my Twisted Hobbies Fokker DR1 tri-plane gets here. My bench feels lonely without anything to build on it.:rolleyes:
Cheers
Brian

Brian,
10-4 on the building bug, it has bit me more often than I like to admit. Yes, any 5.8 GHz vRx will work, IF it has the capability to output the signal in the mode you need. Are you trying to connect to the tablet wired? If so, it would all depend on the input jacks available on the tablet as to which vRx would work. But you probably got that far already. Hopefully, someone else will see this and offer some help. Later...

Hi Rebel,

Well I've done some research and I think I'm going to get a Team Black Sheep Unify Pro5.8g HV tx with the Triumph antennas.
I found out that in the US you need a Ham license at 600mw and higher, this tx is adjustable from 25mw to 800mw. It has a 500mw setting that I'll probably use.
Now I need to find a compatible rx that will output to the 7" android device I have. Any ideas?
Thanks
Brian

You can find many 5.8GHz receivers with or without integrated monitor, on any specialized internet shop(Banggood, Gearbest, Hobbyking etc.). Unfortunatly the standard video output for these devices is the AVI, that is the common analog video to connect to monitors, TV etc.
The direct interface to Android is not simple, because you need a conversion from analog signal to USB and compatible software. I look on Internet and I could find only 1 product of this type, but it receives on a strange proprietary frequence, so you cannot use a "standard" 5,8GHz transmitter. I suggest you to look for a cheap 7" analog monitor instead of your Android device: probably is cheaper and , for sure, is much much simple.

Hey Gianni, thanks for helping Brian out. I was going to suggest a Black Pearl, but they're definitely not cheap, so I stayed away from that. I was hoping someone would be able to lend some assistance concerning Androids, so I appreciate your chiming in. Hopefully we can get this guy up and FPVing before long. Thanks again...

Hey Guys,
Sorry I've been busy reading threads trying to learn as much as I can about this Phantom so I don't ask a lot of silly questions. I've read almost all of the Phantom mods,tips etc. thread.
I've learned that I will do a P2 shell swap instead of the dual exterior batt. And if I'm correct, I can use the DJI mini osd after I do the Can bus mod to the P1 upgrade board. Which I've already installed.
I've ordered that adjustable mw output vtx the TBS Unify Pro HV and the TBS Triumph antennas. I had a question about the upgrade board. Are the pinouts for the vtx header power on the upgrade board listed anywhere?
And the other header that says for future use, has anything ever been implemented there?
I've won a Black Pearl and 1.2w vtx on ebay for $130 shipped new in box. I've got the Gopro cable ordered, and a ND4 filter for the naked Gopro. Now all I need is a mount for the monitor to the tx, P2 shell, and I think I might as well get the two clockwise P2 motors and P2 Vision props.
Are these still the prop of choice? I was reading about the Zinger 9x4 props and some 'pancake' props and some CF but that was a couple of years ago in the thread I was reading. I don't know what the current views are now about this stuff.
Having the ability to see what the camera is seeing will make all the difference for quality video.
Having been given this P1 never flown, has given me the chance to get into this hobby(maybe a profession eventually) at a very reasonable cost. That I probably would not have done otherwise.
Thank You Rebel and Gianni for your help! I hope to put up some video in the future. I need to dust off my editing skills. I hope my old computer that I built about a decade ago is up to the task.
It's probably time to build a new rig anyway.
Cheers fellows
Brian

Hey Guys,

Are these still the prop of choice? I was reading about the Zinger 9x4 props and some 'pancake' props and some CF but that was a couple of years ago in the thread I was reading. I don't know what the current views are now about this stuff.

Cheers fellows
Brian

I can tell you my experience with props on P1.1.1.
I tried both the plastic 9443 and 9450(these are the stock P2 props).
I tried with aftermarket products, but I do not believe there are significant differencies with the DJI, except for greater props balance need in the aftermarket.
I get 15 to 40 secs of increased fly time with 9043 compared with 9450. It is difficult to evaluate, because differencies can be due to different flight conditions(wind, speed, change in quote,used battery etc.), but I can say there is a slightly better flight duration with 9443.
On the other hand, using 9443 I see a little worst behaviour during descend:it is not really a VRS effect(Vortex ring state), but I never tried a maximum speed descend. The problem is that, during descend, the quad rotates(1/4 of turn) without yaw command and you need to correct it:to avoid further problems a normally stop the descend for a while, correct and start the descend again.
This effect is present, but a lot less evident, using 9450.

Hey Guys,

I've ordered that adjustable mw output vtx the TBS Unify Pro HV and the TBS Triumph antennas. I had a question about the upgrade board. Are the pinouts for the vtx header power on the upgrade board listed anywhere?

Cheers fellows
Brian

Not sure to have fully understood your question.
The TBS Unify transmitter is an accessory that requires 2S to 6S power supply. You can use the quad battery to power it.
I think there is no power pins dedicated to a third party vtx on the controller board.
The Phantom has an auxiliary power header (2 wires coming out from one of the legs): you can use this 2 wires to power in parallel all the NOT DJI accessories(gimbal, FPV transmitter etc) that are not directly connected to the Canbus.
Your transmitter seems to come with a JST connector power cable: you should connect a complementary JST connector to the auxiliary power cable(in parallel with any other accessory you want to use: be carefull to the polarity) in order to power it when you connect the quadcopter battery.

Hey gianni,
What I meant was that the upgrade board has a 6 pin power header that is described as for a vtx, an 8 pin header for the H3-2D gimbal, and there is also a 2 pin header that says reserved. I was wondering if anything was ever done with that header.

upload_2016-8-30_19-13-49.png

I thought I'd use the vtx header power for my vtx. I'm getting my gimbal power from the auxiliary power cable.
I have to look into the Canbus mod for the upgrade board. I think I need a smaller soldering iron tip for that.
Oh, I picked up a patch antenna today for the diversity rx. I still need to find a P2 shell, there is one on RCGroups and I've got a PM sent to him. I don't think the monitor mount I got will work on the DJI tx, but it will work on my Taranis+.
Cheers
Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20