Need overview on how groundstation works, what's needed, etc

Reaction score
I'm intrigued, I guess you'd say, by the ground station setup - but I'm actually having trouble finding out what exactly it does, how it works, etc.

Please let me know if this is correct, in very general terms...
Using special app with Google map view, you can plot a course (go to this position, at this elevation, then go to this position at this elevation, etc) - then you transfer this course/route/plan to the Phantom via bluetooth.
You then launch the Phantom as normal with the normal transmitter, hit "go" or something on the app on the ipad, and watch it go...
After the mission, you retake control with the normal transmitter to land.
During the flight, you do not need any direct control of the Phantom from either the app or the normal transmitter.
Is the app used for anything during flight? I'm guessing not if it's a bluetooth connection.

Is this close? If so, I'm IN! Are there issues with trying to set this up on a P2 with Immersion 600mw vtx and iosd?

Re: Need overview on how groundstation works, what's needed,

close.

Bluetooth is for ipad to ground station connection. Then there is another ground station connection to the phantom.

Once in flight, you don't need connection - but if you have connection - the Ground station tells you speed, elevation etc....

So to do this does it require both the iOSD mini and the BTU? Thanks

Bluetooth is for ipad to ground station connection. Then there is another ground station connection to the phantom.

What is the other connection and what is it for?

I love ground station.
iosd is only for data on the monitor display. It has nothing to do with ground station.
For the ipad or PC, data is displayed a little differently.
Bluetooth is required for the ipad only, or other bluetooth devices.
Your conception on how it works is basically correct.
If you're in a rather open area with no need to worry about clearing obstacles on takeoff, hit the go button.
The motors will turn on and it launches itself heading off to the first waypoint.

You do not need the main controller at all.
If you want to take control back with the main controller, all you do is flip S1 to atti mode.

The app can also display joysticks on the ipad so you can have some control with it that way.
Camera Tilting can only be done with the main controller. There are no known ways to pan the camera at this time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4