Need opinions on upgrading

Reaction score
I've been flying for a while now but need some opinions on upgrading to a better quad. I currently have a phantom 3 standard but I am looking into getting a P4 or a P4P. I mostly do this for a hobby but would like to progress my talent in the future to maybe look into mapping.

I'm open to opinions and suggestions.

Both are nice birds, but the P4P is the better of the two. What exactly do you hope to gain by upgrading?

Better picture quality. Range. And reliability. I did hear that's the 4K 60 for the P4P was having an issue being "fluttery" at times

Are you considering Dji Mavic?

If this is for hobby you don't need P4P IMO, overkill. P4 is a better overall design than P3P, but a P3P will give you great video, about the same as P4. But the P4 has a bigger battery for 22+ min of flight time, and it's faster.

If this is for hobby you don't need P4P IMO, overkill. P4 is a better overall design than P3P, but a P3P will give you great video, about the same as P4. But the P4 has a bigger battery for 22+ min of flight time, and it's faster.

I can agree with that.

In terms of hobby flying, the P3 is still an impressive bird and I'm not sure a P4whatever would be much of an improvement.

But the P4P is well worth it IF still imagery is your main purpose for flying.

For stills the P4P camera is dramatically better than either the P3 or P4 camera. IMHO the P4P camera is the first Phantom camera that can compete with any MFT camera flown on much larger multis, and for stills I would say better in most ways than even the GH4, although the GH4 still wins on video. P4P stills can't compete with fullframe cameras, but the gap is no longer as huge as it was with the older P4. Carefully shot and processed P4P raw files can yield prints that are well within the quality standards expected for most kinds of professional work, which is not the case with P3 and P4.

I'd say roll with the P4. I don't see spending an additional $400.00 for the little upgrades on the P4P when you know full well the P5 is probably in the not so distant future.

Does anyone notice a huge difference in the size of the sensors and the FOV from the P4 and the P4P.
You'll notice a huge improvement stepping up to a Lightbridge drone - it's 10x better than the wifi you are used to.
The bigger sensor makes a big difference in picture quality over the regular P4 camera.
The P4 camera is good and the pro is great.
The P4 is the equivalent of a 20mm lens on a 35mm SLR while the P4 pro has the equivalent of a 24mm lens.
Both are quite wide but the difference in FoV is minor and most would hardly notice at all.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the extra money for the P4P is worth it for the time I will have it. Cause I'm an investment kinda guy if I buy something I want it to last and be reliable and hold up for a while. I don't want to buy something then have to upgrade within a year or so. (I'm fully aware that technology changes everyday and that by the time I get a new quad another one will be 10 times better.) that's why I'm tied between the P4 and the P4P.

Currently right now I go out about 2-3 times a week. Go get around 20 minutes of footage. Edit it all down and just throw it up on YouTube. I'm doing this more regular now than I have in the past.

My vote is a P4. It's the most tried and true Phantom that DJI has made up until now - IMO. They built upon prior shortcomings and then boom...enter the P4. The P4P camera was a major upgrade and some folks are having issues with it, and these issues may not be fixable via a firmware update. As far as the obstacle avoidance stuff, I am old school and do not rely upon it. This is how I look at it: The P4 is "what you see is what you get". The P4P is a drone still in the making, and the finished product may be a P5...

My vote is a P4. It's the most tried and true Phantom that DJI has made up until now - IMO. They built upon prior shortcomings and then boom...enter the P4. The P4P camera was a major upgrade and some folks are having issues with it, and these issues may not be fixable via a firmware update. As far as the obstacle avoidance stuff, I am old school and do not rely upon it. This is how I look at it: The P4 is "what you see is what you get". The P4P is a drone still in the making, and the finished product may be a P5...

I definitely see what you mean. I have heard that from other people that the P4 seems to be the most consistent. And I guess after I take my 107 test and get more serious I can upgrade from there if I need too. But hopefully be able to get something I won't have to upgrade for a while.

Also just wondering the new higher capacity batteries for the P4P do they work with a new P4?

Wc, you've changed the usage. You went from hobbiest to now you're planning to get your 107. If you plan on doing any serious commercial work, and you have the money available today, go for the P4P. Better range and photo quality. The photo resolution improvement will be helpful at mapping, if that's your end goal.

But yes, the new 5840mah battery can be used in P4, I do that all the time, you get an extra 2-3 min flight.

FYI, the P4 suffers from a weak transmitter, when compared to older P3P craft range capability. I had to buy an Inspire controller for my P4 to get P3P comparable range an signal integrity.

Last edited:
Wc, you've changed the usage. You went from hobbiest to now you're planning to get your 107. If you plan on doing any serious commercial work, and you have the money available today, go for the P4P. Better range and photo quality.

But yes, the new 5840mah battery can be used in P4, I do that all the time, you get an extra 2-3 min flight.

Just meaning "eventually". I probably will pick up a P4 within the next few months.

Lightbridge will set you free [emoji106]

I have 2 friends one has a P3P and the other has a P4P they say it's a world of difference. I don't go out too far usually anyways. My last video I went out in distance around 2200 feet away. I shouldn't have an issue with that much distance right on the P4?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20