Need New Tablet

Reaction score
I just returned a P3A because I discovered the lightbridge Bitrate is limited to 2Mbps and I was seeing lots of artifacts in the 720P display. So I sent it back within the 30 day limit and ordered a P3P. Very happy with it BUT....
My tablet (Nexus 7 II) worked fine with the 2Mbps coming from the P3A but it can't handle the additional bandwidth from the P3P. Lots of lag and video tearing.

My first thought was to look for an Nvidia Shield but nobody has one in stock! Browsing alternatives, the Acer Predator 8 looks like a good second choice - it's fast and has a bright, sharp display. Anyone out there using this tablet? Any other Android recommendations?

Man, you gotta find a shield in stock somewhere. eBay, Amazon, best buy online? The Shield is SO GOOD for Phantom flying, love mine!

I just returned a P3A because I discovered the lightbridge Bitrate is limited to 2Mbps and I was seeing lots of artifacts in the 720P display. So I sent it back within the 30 day limit and ordered a P3P. Very happy with it BUT....
My tablet (Nexus 7 II) worked fine with the 2Mbps coming from the P3A but it can't handle the additional bandwidth from the P3P. Lots of lag and video tearing.

My first thought was to look for an Nvidia Shield but nobody has one in stock! Browsing alternatives, the Acer Predator 8 looks like a good second choice - it's fast and has a bright, sharp display. Anyone out there using this tablet? Any other Android recommendations?
I had the K1 but returned it to B&H Photo because I found the display to have a yellowish cast to it in even the brightest of settings. I replaced it with a Samsung S2 Tab and found its AMOLED display to be one of the most beautiful displays out there, and incredibly lightweight as well. My only gripe with the S2 was DJI's lack of support and glitches with the Android platform on a whole. I am a professional photographer and rely on my equipment performing when I call upon it, and felt I had no choice but to bite the bullet and go w/ an iPad mini instead.

However, if you really have your heart set on the K1, contact the folks at B&H because the one that I had, and returned should be arriving at their place any day now, and is in pristine condition... I personally just found it dark for my use in the Florida sun. They most likely will also be selling it in their used department at a discounted rate too.

Have a good one, and good luck

Been looking for the last few days and the shield is out of stock everywhere. I got a good deal on eBay but got pretty lucky. Looking at the sold listings there are still deals you just have to keep trying. Swappa has had a few as well but again, they go quick once posted.

I think the only real alternative is the iPad mini 2 which is plentiful and fairly cheap used or if you can find a good sale. Even the LTE version was under $200 on Swappa but... No SD and prices go way up for 64/128gb.

I thought the shield had adjustable color settings? Sure I saw them in a review so hopefully if im not happy with the color I can adjust it.

Last edited:
However, if you really have your heart set on the K1, contact the folks at B&H because the one that I had, and returned should be arriving at their place any day now, and is in pristine condition... I personally just found it dark for my use in the Florida sun. They most likely will also be selling it in their used department at a discounted rate too.

Have a good one, and good luck
Thanks. Very useful information. I also fly in very bright sun (Texas). That is the reason I got the Nexus; it is extremely bright. Don't really know why, but I have always shied away from iPad - I'm typing this on a Mac :D

Reactions: VFA22Bonefish
Thanks. Very useful information. I also fly in very bright sun (Texas). That is the reason I got the Nexus; it is extremely bright. Don't really know why, but I have always shied away from iPad - I'm typing this on a Mac :D

I was the other way around, I shied away from Macs but have always used their mobile devices. I finally made the jump and went MacBook Pro, and now I am having all sorts of storage issues (mainly because I am clueless as to where everything is). The phrase "If this were a PC" can be heard ad nauseam around my home and in social/friendly professional circles. lol

Reactions: Reed L
I was the other way around, I shied away from Macs but have always used their mobile devices.
A bit of a shock going from PC to Mac but stick with it; I think you will like it. It comes with a nice video editor. One reason I have stayed with android is that I also fly home-brew MRs using 3D Robotics flight controllers and their Tower app is only available on Android. They are the ultimate in autonomous flight. But when I looked at setting up one of them with Lightbridge or equivalent the cost would be 3 times the cost of a P3P.

It looks like I will also have to bite the bullet and go with an iPad. All reports seem to indicate they work flawlessly for this application.

Reactions: VFA22Bonefish
bought a Samsung tab A, got it for 130.00 or something brand new, best buy will match Samsclub price.

Its the 8" model and works just perfectly, compared to my power house LG G5 its about the same

bought a Samsung tab A, got it for 130.00 or something brand new, best buy will match Samsclub price.

Its the 8" model and works just perfectly, compared to my power house LG G5 its about the same

I have the same and it works great.
Before the Tab A I had an Acer Iconia One 8" tablet that I had recently bought at BestBuy. I thought it was perfect until I got the Tab and saw how much brighter and easier it is to see outside.
Of course I use an anti glare screen to cut reflections and I have a hoodman aviator for when I want a perfect view but I have found with the brighter screen I don't always have to use the top piece of the aviator hood. Just the bottom half of the hood is enough in most instances.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik