Need help with video file is to large

Reaction score
Hi guys I have took some good footage and downloaded it on my laptop and plays great , my problem is I can't send it
Email , photo bucket , Facebook , it just says file is to large ,
It's 8 mins long
Is there a good way of doing this or a good site to use ,
I'm NO computer wiz but can work my way around one
Any guidance would be great
Thanks in advance

Or, you need video editing software that you can use to cut the video into smaller chunks.
I think Microsoft has a free one you can use. You might have to Goober it.

Understanding video codecs makes my head hurt but if you’re gonna do video you just gotta do the homework on this topic.

Even crappy “phone quality” videos become large file size quickly.

Video I upload to youtube using a default setting usually sizes out to around 600MB per 10 minutes of video. However, the original file size can be 8-10x that.

Some of the phone versions ripped come out to 20-30min of footage for 200-300MB file size. Watchable over mobile data networks but it’s nothing close to the original picture resolution and resulting file sizes used to create these movies.

Yes, you’ll need “editing” software and something to “export” a final edit it to various “container” file formats for intended consumption platforms. Dropbox, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.

Here’s one of my rather boring vids on YT - about 4 min.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Original file from the camera is/was about 2GB GoPro Protune, btw. The version uploaded to YT is about 429MB. I believe the AppleTV/iPad export preset would’ve been around 200MB?

For comparison those file sizes = 100x that of an MP3 song so you can understand why this isn’t gonna pass through an email server, right?

That’s why it must be uploaded to some host for consumption.

Sorry if I’m not more helpful with my limited skills at keyboard but I’ve been down this road and although I’ve become a “functional idiot” regarding some of this tech I’m nevertheless still an idiot.

Good luck with your journey!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.