Need help with fpv set up on p2

Reaction score
So my friend has a phantom 2 and has a ts832 transmitter i think it is set up correctly but the LEDs on the transmitter don't light up but the transmitter starts to heat up so i don't know if it is set up wrong or if it's a faulty transmitter.
15462282009007296485730532479157.jpg
15462282517874937279589179998637.jpg

The TS832 FPV transmitter has an output of 600mw and will get pretty hot during normal use, especially if the quad isn't flying. With these higher-power transmitters people sometimes add a small finned aluminium heatsink to help dissipate the heat better. I've done this a few times with my quads and it does help, particularly when the FPV transmitter is mounted within an enclosed shell.

The connections are fairly straightforward, there are lots of wiring diagrams available online and in normal usage it's quite difficult (but still possible) to get it wrong. The maximum input voltage is 12.6v, so if you're running off a P2 battery voltage of 11.2 volts (3S), that should be quite OK and there is also a 12v or VBAT output from the VTX to power a camera. Your wiring colour-coding seems to be a bit of a mix-n-match, so re-check your connections once more. Where does the red wire, the one with the pink heatshrink run to?... I believe that's the +ive for the 12v out to camera. Where it goes to is not quite clear from the photo... You also have both ground wires connected to something?

But if the LED display isn't lighting up then you must have some sort of problem. Are you absolutely sure that you didn't accidentally power it up with no antenna attached, even momentarily? If you did, then you may have cooked it and will have to buy another.

It's also possible that you have a duff one straight from the factory .The easiest way to test it for correct operation is probably to connect it all up with simple wiring loom and a battery/power supply. You can connect a camera if you want - but it's not essential to make any camera connections because all you're interested in knowing is whether there is an blank-screen output signal.

I'm sure there must be other advice that can be offered but that's all I can think of so far. The photos don't really help that much because we can't clearly see what runs to where - so a circuit diagram, even hand-drawn, and some better pics would be quite useful.

Last edited:
The TS832 FPV transmitter has an output of 600mw and will get pretty hot during normal use, especially if the quad isn't flying. With these higher-power transmitters people sometimes add a small finned aluminium heatsink to help dissipate the heat better. I've done this a few times with my quads and it does help, particularly when the FPV transmitter is mounted within an enclosed shell.

The connections are fairly straightforward, there are lots of wiring diagrams available online and in normal usage it's quite difficult (but still possible) to get it wrong. The maximum input voltage is 12.6v, so if you're running off a P2 battery voltage of 11.2 volts (3S), that should be quite OK and there is also a 12v or VBAT output from the VTX to power a camera. Your wiring colour-coding seems to be a bit of a mix-n-match, so re-check your connections once more. Where does the red wire, the one with the pink heatshrink run to?... I believe that's the +ive for the 12v out to camera. Where it goes to is not quite clear from the photo... You also have both ground wires connected to something?

But if the LED display isn't lighting up then you must have some sort of problem. Are you absolutely sure that you didn't accidentally power it up with no antenna attached, even momentarily? If you did, then you may have cooked it and will have to buy another.

It's also possible that you have a duff one straight from the factory .The easiest way to test it for correct operation is probably to connect it all up with simple wiring loom and a battery/power supply. You can connect a camera if you want - but it's not essential to make any camera connections because all you're interested in knowing is whether there is an blank-screen output signal.

I'm sure there must be other advice that can be offered but that's all I can think of so far. The photos don't really help that much because we can't clearly see what runs to where - so a circuit diagram, even hand-drawn, and some better pics would be quite useful.
So the drone has 4 wires yellow, brown, red, brown.
Yellow goes to yellow which is video
Brown goes to brown which i don't know what it is
Then red goes to red for power
And brown to brown for ground
It also has a spare cable which i believe is audio so it is left unplugged. Also I did not fry it by leaving the antenna off because i saw that on youtube. The only thing i am going to check now is that the connection are all good but i assume they are because it gets warm which is a sign it has power and thanks for the idea of adding a heating

So the drone has 4 wires yellow, brown, red, brown.
Yellow goes to yellow which is video
Brown goes to brown which i don't know what it is
Then red goes to red for power
And brown to brown for ground
It also has a spare cable which i believe is audio so it is left unplugged.

It's good that you were aware of how not to cook the transmitter minus the antenna but (sorry) I don't have much confidence in how you have decided on your wiring scheme, particularly the "I don't know what it is' bit... :) and as I don't have a P2, I don't really understand which coloured wires you are talking about, but presumably some which are inside the shell.

As you have seen, I guess, there are a stack of videos on Youtube on how to do this.

phantom 2 fpv - YouTube

I suspect your problem is wiring-related and you need to further investigate and confirm exactly what wires you have, both from the VTX and the P2. Just matching colour to colour isn't a very safe way of doing things - for example, on many FPV setups, the yellow wire gets connected to a white wire...

(Later) Just watched the first vid in the search results above and that makes it clearer for me now. Might help you too...

This one might help even more...

Last edited:
Did you check that the transmitter was still working? Did you manage to get this sorted out? It'd be nice to know what happened.... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20