Need help upgrading/modding.

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my Phantom 2 vision+, I'm new to this and need direction with mods.

I need for the range to be longer, I know there is a app to boost the wifi extender, do I have to boost the remote also? Can I use pigtails out of the wifi extender and use a really good wifi antennas? I want this to be practical and still portable, capable of connecting to the controller.

Also I need longer battery life, is there more efficient batteries I can buy? is it worth getting a mod to carry a second battery or is the extra weight even out the battery gain?

Is there anything I can do to make the camera better quality, or perhaps a better camera can be attached? would love to see a mod where someone connects a smartphone camera like a Lumia 1020 41MP cam or a Note 3 4k video cam.

I know what I want, just not what to get and where.

Thanks for the help.

DFdigital said:
Looking to upgrade my Phantom 2 vision+, I'm new to this and need direction with mods.

I need for the range to be longer, I know there is a app to boost the wifi extender, do I have to boost the remote also? Can I use pigtails out of the wifi extender and use a really good wifi antennas? I want this to be practical and still portable, capable of connecting to the controller.
A quick search of the forum will lead you to many antenna mods.

DFdigital said:
Also I need longer battery life, is there more efficient batteries I can buy? is it worth getting a mod to carry a second battery or is the extra weight even out the battery gain?
No. There are no better batteries available. Cheaper, maybe. Better, No. The Phantom flight time is longer than most anything available now. Adding more batteries won't help. Best case you might get another minute or two.
DFdigital said:
Is there anything I can do to make the camera better quality, or perhaps a better camera can be attached?
No. If you want to attach a better camera, you should consider a standard Phantom 2, not the Vision +

A quick search of the forum will lead you to many antenna mods.

Yes but which one would be good though without making my controller huge and non portable. How is the rp-sma wifi antennas? should I pigtail two of those off the wifi extender? which are the best to buy? should I get a better one for the remote also? can I just buy a more powerful wifi extender instead? I plan on using Vision+ Utility from Taco, I hear that helps a lot, but does it damage the extender or other parts by boosting them to much?

There are no better batteries available. Cheaper, maybe. Better, No. The Phantom flight time is longer than most anything available now. Adding more batteries won't help. Best case you might get another minute or two.

I was reading some thread on here that I can't find now that someone created dual battery holders from carbon fiber and got 40-60% longer flying time. also I thought someone was talking about some higher efficient battery also.

Is there anything I can do to make the camera better quality, or perhaps a better camera can be attached? No. If you want to attach a better camera, you should consider a standard Phantom 2, not the Vision +

Phantom 2 just uses a gopro 3+ Black edition which I heard is quite the same as the P2V+ cam, or barely noticeable difference. it seems as compression screws with the P2V+ video, is there a way to make it a higher quality compression?

Honestly, you're describing a completely different vehicle.
By the time you finish all the mods that provide you what you want, you will have something resembling a Spreadwings!

The Brits have a great phrase: "Fit for purpose".
The Vision+ simply doesn't sound like the aircraft you need. It's not fit for your purpose.
Even if you could upgrade the camera, that camera would be heavier...which would reduce your flight time.
(It would also require a different gimbal.) Everything is a trade-off. DJI have done a pretty **** good job of finding the 'sweet spot' in terms of image quality vs flight time vs size.

Perhaps look into a Walkera Tali H500.
(Mine should arrive later this week) ;-)

Wow the Walkera Tali H500 does look nice, wonder how it will stack up against the P2V+. Also wondering, has anyone gotten there P2V+ camera to take photos in RAW, mine always come out in .JPG?

DFdigital said:
has anyone gotten [their] P2V+ camera to take photos in RAW, mine always come out in .JPG?
Did you enable it in the Vision app? Hit the camera settings and one of the options (along with resolution, white balance, etc) is picture mode.

I should have explained that I tried that already, I also upgraded to the latest Software. Still doesn't change.

DFdigital said:
I'll address battery life and flight times: Are you sure you need longer battery life? I know it sounds like an easy upgrade that will help you feel productive, but most guys can fly for nearly 20 minutes on a fully charged smart battery, and I for one wouldn't know what to do with 20 minutes of flight time. I'm very pleased with what the smart batteries will do, and I usually tire of the flight before they do. I do have two of them though, just in case I get an idea of another place to fly nearby after I've exhausted the first battery. Even extending the flight with the second battery is pretty easy and only requires bringing it home turning off Phantom power, switching batteries and turning on the Phantom again and off we go. The only time I have used the second battery in the same flight so far is when I started flying with a half-charged first battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr