need help phantom 3 advanced

Reaction score
hey guys I just got my 1st phantom 3 advanced was looking forword to get going after an hr of downloading firmware and charging batteries ! wow . well I think I got everything downloaded but I went outside to fly and my controller red led light blinks and a beep everytime I turn controller on? it told me I needed new firmware so I downloaded it then said it was ok to fly so I went to throttle up nothing ? so I did the auto take off I hit the button and went half foot off the ground and flipped over to the left anyway I tried 3 times and broke 3 blades ! im at a loss I calibrated it I think I did everything it told me to do ? the controller only works the camera movement but no throttle or nothing ? only thing that works is the auto fly button ? nothing els ? I had a $100 drone before this and worked fine .im just at a loss and a little upset. can somebody please tell me what im doing wrong I just want to see it hover fly take some vids thanks everyone.

<<Moved to correct forum>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum and bad luck...
Did you read the manual during the whole hour you waited before trying to take off?
Anyway.... To get some help might help to post some more relevant info..
Is it new?
Was the take off point completely flat?
Did you calibrate the IMU before trying to take off?
Did you calibrate the compass before trying to take off?
Firmware you're running?

Welcome to the forum and bad luck...
Did you read the manual during the whole hour you waited before trying to take off?
Anyway.... To get some help might help to post some more relevant info..
Is it new?
Was the take off point completely flat?
Did you calibrate the IMU before trying to take off?
Did you calibrate the compass before trying to take off?
Firmware you're running?
Ha yes I did thumb through the directions some. I did get the latest firmware . & yes I did calibrate the compass. It's brand new just bought it. I did learn more on the controls & how to get motors going but now when I want to give it throttle to get up off the ground it wants to flip over on its right side ?

Ha yes I did thumb through the directions some. I did get the latest firmware . & yes I did calibrate the compass. It's brand new just bought it. I did learn more on the controls & how to get motors going but now when I want to give it throttle to get up off the ground it wants to flip over on its right side ?
Also what is the IMU ? Sorry I'm new to all this .all I know is I paid alot for this & want to take care of it.thanks again

You "did thumb-through"..... Great. Did you use the simulator at all? I didn't even START my AC for a month, and that was after reading, watching, re-reading, re-watching ALL the information and manuals.....
Did you calibrate the IMU (internal Measurement Unit)? As you don't know what it is, I suspect your thumb-through didn't cover that!
Is the take-off point perfectly flat?

Reactions: Bluebouye
Also what is the IMU ? Sorry I'm new to all this .all I know is I paid alot for this & want to take care of it.thanks again
i suggest you put it away and start by reading the full manual, watch the DJI videos, learn what everything does, what you need to do on a pre-flight check etc... Then take it out and use the SIM for a few hours. As you said, you paid a lot for it - you doing it all wrong and probably will destroy it. You can't expect to gain a new skill with zero practice. I've flown > 200 times and learn something new on every flight....

How were you trying to start the motors? Both sticks down and out or down and in? You need to start the motors first or no amount of stick fiddling will get you in the air (with the exception of the auto take off which clearly you have mastered).

Why it consistently flipped doesn't make sense. It should have ascended to a stable hover. Where you moving the sticks?

i suggest you put it away and start by reading the full manual, watch the DJI videos, learn what everything does, what you need to do on a pre-flight check etc... Then take it out and use the SIM for a few hours. As you said, you paid a lot for it - you doing it all wrong and probably will destroy it. You can't expect to gain a new skill with zero practice. I've flown > 200 times and learn something new on every flight....

Most likely you installed the props incorrectly.
Possible agreed however not sure about likely- takes some real committed effort to butcher them on the wrong way. It's very obvious when the threads are reversed.

What mode is the transmitter set to I wonder? Could be some really interesting custom setting perhaps.

haha you guys are funny !! anyway I am reading the directions all the way through I want to do some more homework & yes to start the motors I pushed the sticks down & in. But as I went to get it off the ground it wants to immediately turn over on its right like I said I broke 2 propellers don't want to break any more. Tomorrow I'm going to do more homework & take it to my buddies place with more land & turn off my wifi on phone try to launch it again ? Like I said I'm new to all this but very interested & just want it to hover ! Thanks guys for the input.

Run it without the props. If all motors make the same sound left stick moving up that's promising. If I they are playing out of tune you have issues with your stick assignments.

I'm thinking more about @Vertigo theory now (likelihood). Assuming your limited to the two sets of props in the box and have broken three in the same repeated failure scenario but you still have four to fly there is a good chance (statistically) you may have at least one on the wrong motor.

That was my first thought. While it may seem hard to cross thread the props it is not impossible. Maybe his hubs are a bit on the loose side and he did manage to cross them up.
Ok I got it off the ground ! Pretty excited! Only had 1 little crash into the grape vines but not a scratch. I flew around for about 15 min took it up around 30 ft .when putting on the props or propellers I didn't see any black on the motors? So I guessed today I did find 2 little black bots so I pUT the black on black & silver etc. Went outside took wifi off my phone & Bluetooth. & boom it was up & flying ! Thanks for your help guys very appreciated

Ok I got it off the ground ! Pretty excited! Only had 1 little crash into the grape vines but not a scratch. I flew around for about 15 min took it up around 30 ft .when putting on the props or propellers I didn't see any black on the motors? So I guessed today I did find 2 little black bots so I pUT the black on black & silver etc. Went outside took wifi off my phone & Bluetooth. & boom it was up & flying ! Thanks for your help guys very appreciated
Ok so it seems at least one prop was on the wrong motor. I would have new props 1st on the list for accessory purchase and ditch the used ones.

You want your hubs and threads to be in good condition, they can and do come off in flight. They are cheap so dont skimp here.

Ok so it seems at least one prop was on the wrong motor. I would have new props 1st on the list for accessory purchase and ditch the used ones.

You want your hubs and threads to be in good condition, they can and do come off in flight. They are cheap so dont skimp here.
Yes I agree the props do seem hate to say cheap . You would think dji would at least have metal or aluminum? I'm on dji website now looking for some new props I'm looking at the carbon fiber they any good ? What would you recommend? I wish they had metal with metal threads ?

Yes I agree the props do seem hate to say cheap . You would think dji would at least have metal or aluminum? I'm on dji website now looking for some new props I'm looking at the carbon fiber they any good ? What would you recommend? I wish they had metal with metal threads ?
Earlier phantoms had metal inserts.

This is not what you want on the P3, the plastic threads actually hang on better and are less likely to undo during active breaking (rapid deceleration of the motors) in flight.

Many swear by the benefits of the carbon reinforced props, they definitely look cool. Choice is yours. Just make sure you avoid metal inserts for the threads and stick to DJI branded.

Earlier phantoms had metal inserts.

This is not what you want on the P3, the plastic threads actually hang on better and are less likely to undo during active breaking (rapid deceleration of the motors) in flight.

Many swear by the benefits of the carbon reinforced props, they definitely look cool. Choice is yours. Just make sure you avoid metal inserts for the threads and stick to DJI branded.
wow good point. so what do you use for props ? has to be something little better

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31