Need help, Go Pro is not working right

Reaction score
Ok, I have never had a totally successful flight yet. Bought in July, last year. Phantom 2 NV flies like it should.
The problem is that the Go Pro crashes when I fly. I get a "corrupted file" message.
Sometimes I get a minute of recording while flying, but usually not.

This is what I have observed and tried:
Go Pro 3+/firmware updated.
2) Samsung 64GB Evo 10 class SD cards, Checked to make sure Genuine.
SD cards formatted on Go Pro.
Using settings on Go Pro= 1080 30fps m view with camera every 5 seconds.
Camera works fine unplugged from the Phantom.
Camera works fine plugged into the powered off Phantom.
Camera works fine plugged into the powered on Phantom on work bench. (All 45 minute test).
iOSD works fine on the monitor overlaid over the video like it should.

What happens, when I fly, the camera turns off shortly and usually records nothing.
Sometimes it will record a minute, then I get an icon showing a bicycle on a page, which means a corrupted file.
Sometimes the camera shuts off and will not turn on until I pull the battery, reinstall it and plug it in to a charger.

I have pulled off the top cover of the Phantom and made sure that all the plugins are secure.

I need some help figuring out what is wrong.

Thanks!

**** dude, your really getting the short end of the stick.
I have no idea how to solve your problem but may have a work-around.

If you can do without FPV, which I assume you're getting through your GoPro, don't connect the camera to the Phantom.

Turn it on, WiFi off, push record, go fly. If the Phantom screws the camera up on that flight, well, I dunno.
EDIT: I've been reminded you don' want to use WiFi on the P2, so I thought I would pass that on.

Good Luck,

Nome, ****, I want you to get video, I want to see some.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I'll give that workaround a try. Sounds like it will work.

I'm thinking it has something to do with either with the gimbal cable or with the iOSD or GS or the MB.
I didn't install anything, I had a shop do it. Guessing that I need to take it apart down to just the gimbal and camera and see if that works.

Rrrrrr

Is it rear hero port H33D 1.0 or is it the newer side port USB?
If side USB port, inspect the flex cable for damage and make sure its not installed upside down.

Thanks for the help Mako

It is the side USB style.
I inspected that cable and reseated it both on the camera and the gimbal.
I looked to see how you could put it in backwards or upside down. I couldn't see a way where it would reach the camera properly.
I watched a youtube video to confirm that I did it right.

But I think that I might have a spare ribbon cable, I'll give it a try.

Thanks again!

The longer end of ribbon cable connects to the camera side, right?

If I recall (I have the converted Hero port).
Long thin end is the usb end. The adhesive should stick to the corner.

Still have not got the camera issue figured out, but managed to get this shot.
028.JPG

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    765 KB · Views: 418
Reactions: IflyinWY
Ok.. I cant find the link... but you can disable the charging of the gopro via phantom by taping the top pins and leaving the 2 lower exposed for fpv.
It just means you need spare batts on hand. IF the battery dies = no FPV.

Very cool picture.

Hey guys, hurry up and find a solution for auen1, I want to see more of Nome. :)

Cool, I'll give the fix a try.
It does seems like it's a power issue from the phantom.

Then again, after researching Go Pro forums, I see the exact same problem happening to tons of people.
I called Go Pro today and explained the issue. They said they would RMA the camera. WOW. I was surprised.

But I don't want to return a camera if it isn't broken. Plus I will be without a camera for probably a month.

So I would like try all the different ways to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks!!

Is something like this an option for you?
http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Recor...qid=1428142943&sr=1-65&keywords=action+camera

Maybe it will hold you over while the theys fix the GoPro, maybe it will be a great replacement.

I just want to see what Nome looks like now, from a real person's point of view. The super part of that is it would be a real person with aerial shots.

Hey auen1,
If you want to shock and awe a whole bunch of folks, post pics of Noon and Midnight. I'll bet 7 out of 8 readers have no idea what I am talking about. :cool:

**** dude, your really getting the short end of the stick.
I have no idea how to solve your problem but may have a work-around.

If you can do without FPV, which I assume you're getting through your GoPro, don't connect the camera to the Phantom.

Turn it on, WiFi off, push record, go fly. If the Phantom screws the camera up on that flight, well, I dunno.
If that works, you could try FPV via WiFi. It sucks but is better than nothing.

Good Luck,

I guess with this sound advice you gave him about using the wifi on GP you'd be willing to pop for a new P2 plus gear if he should have either a flyaway or fatal crash?? :eek: :rolleyes: :( Guess you didn't think about GP wifi being on the same frequency as the P2. Now did you??

WoW, guess not. Good thing you were there to politely remind me.

That is OK, I know better than to fly with WIFI anyway.

I am going to try the tape trick, but I need to wait for the winds to die down.

Looking at that sj4000 knockoff camera for a temporary fix. Anyone know if it will kinda fit in the H3-3D gimbal?

Still working trying to solve what's wrong.

Other things that I tried were using a known working sd card from another Go Pro. Camera crashed with a bit of corrupt video

I tried another Go Pro 4 and it crashed right away, second try, it stayed on, but with a corrupted video.

FPV, (when the camera is on, of course) and PC ground station works like it should.

There wouldn't be any clues on the Flytrex core 2? I have not ever messed with it yet other than putting a sd card in it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well the winds died down a bit and I took a flight using the tape trick.
But the results were the same. Camera stayed on for about a minute or two then died. Corrupted file.

However, if you gopro crashes during after the tape mod, the I suspect the AV pins could be the culprit and not the charging.

Could you explain in more detail what you think might be the troubles?
Many thanks!

Well the winds died down a bit and I took a flight using the tape trick.
But the results were the same. Camera stayed on for about a minute or two then died. Corrupted file.

Could you explain in more detail what you think might be the troubles?
Many thanks!
Send it back.
If the go pro crashes with the tape mod then I'm at wits end. The tape mod is meant to trick the gopro as if it was standalone. Send it back.

I have been staring at this link for a few days just thinking that the interference board might have something to do with my problems.
http://download.dji-innovations.com...ence_Reinforcement_Board_Guidance_v1.0_en.pdf
Today I decided to check the connector ports to be sure that it was wired right.
Well, they look like that they are wired backwards. (from the shop).

Think this could have fried my camera?

Thanks!

20150409_154940[1].jpg

That interference board in the photo is wired correctly. Have you given any thought that it might just be the sd card you are using? Have a smaller Gb card from a different manufacture that you use for a test? Myself I use san disc 16Gb sd cards but heard there have been problems Samsung cards. At this point it's at least worth trying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20