Need assistance with setup - Black Pearl

Buk

Reaction score
Changed out Immersion RC 600mW video transmitter with a Flysight video transmitter with the goal of improving video at the monitor.

The Flysight Black Pearl is a 32 channel as is the newly installed 32 channel Flysight video transmitter. The VTx has a cloverleaf antenna out the back of the Phantom. The monitor has a cloverleaf and a mushroom head antennas. Both the monitor and transmitter are set the same band and channel F 8 which I believe is 5880.

The video below demonstrates the poor quality of the video. Video is poor even when Phantom is facing away (antenna towards monitor). Phantom and monitor not that far away from each other.

What can I do to improve the video?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpNSb1prphk[/youtube]

this forum is full of discussions about the 32ch BP receiver and it not working well with that transmitter. You need the 7ch version of the BP receiver, or I also hear the Boscam/Neewer 32ch receiver works fine

Please point me to the discussion(s) that the 32 channel Flysight transmitter does not work with the 32 channel Flysight monitor. Thanks.

I've read opinions the ImmersionRC 600 does not work well with the 32 channel Black Pearl and the Immersion works better with the 7 channel Black Pearl.

I've missed the discussions of the 32 not working with a 32 of the same manufacturer. Please direct me to those discussions I've overlooked. Thanks for your assistance.

ah I think I misread your post the first time I thought you said you had an ImmersionRC transmitter which doesn't work well.... but now I see that you say you switched FROM the IRC to a different transmitter so I apologize my other post doesn't really apply.

Have you got the cloverleaf on the transmitter bent through 90 degrees so it points downwards (ie so the "head" of the cloverleaf is in a horizontal plane?) If the cloverleaf is sticking out horizontally you'll get virtually no signal from it.

Yeah, I switched out the Immersion for the Flysight. I don't understand why I don't have flawless video yet.

Is it a matter of testing all 32 channels one by one to find a frequency best matched to my antennas? I thought picking any frequency number on their perspective freq charts and setting the right band and channel on each device and I would be all set.

HarryT said:
Have you got the cloverleaf on the transmitter bent through 90 degrees so it points downwards (ie so the "head" of the cloverleaf is in a horizontal plane?) If the cloverleaf is sticking out horizontally you'll get virtually no signal from it.

It's a bit "springy", but bent downward not a hard 90. I have a 90 degree fitting available, perhaps I should try it.

At the sort of ranges we're talking about here, I don't think that's the problem. You're getting video dropouts when you're literally a few metres away, which would seem to indicate a more fundamental problem. I'm afraid I don't know what that might be, though.

Sitting on a bench, I have run the motors (no props) and tapped on the Phantom in general, tapped on every connection and wiggled the transmitter and video stays sold. Get a few feet in the air and video gets bad. Doesn't seem like a loose connection.

Time to try different antenna. I've never used the factory ones everything ships with, maybe start with those.

Make sure you are on the channel with the highest output.

I am having the same problems with a completely different Tx. Boscam 832 600mA.

Some other forums have said the proximity of the BlackPeal tothe Phantoms controller Tx is the problem...I have not had a chance to take the monitor/Rx off the controller and mount it on a camera tripod to see if there is any improvement. Will post up if I get a chance to test out the theory.

Highest output ?

Does that mean highest frequency?

Buk said:
Highest output ?

Does that mean highest frequency?

No..I mean transmitting power. Transmitters outputs can vary wildly with a simple change in channel.

I know this is not your Tx, but this video will demonstrate how output power can vary from channel to channel with transmitters.

This on happens to be mine, and it is obvious that I should use channel 34. Your particular Tx probably has had some testing and has a prefered channel group.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGcXUJAQ6lQ[/youtube]

Thank you for the video, most helpful. I see ImmersionRC has an RF power meter with a 5.8 GHz scale. That should help narrow down my problem and perhaps reduce the amount of lost video in my FPV setup.

Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

QYV said:
this forum is full of discussions about the 32ch BP receiver and it not working well with that transmitter. You need the 7ch version of the BP receiver, or I also hear the Boscam/Neewer 32ch receiver works fine

really? i have the 32ch version of the black pearl and it seems to work fine. are you saying that it should be working better than what i am used to?

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I just installed the black pearl and am having similar poor quality video (flickering).

I have not found my problem and am continuing to investigate it. I have purchased an RF power meter and exploring its operation to see if I can get a clue as to what is going on with my poor quality video.

I did some testing today and found that the Phantom transmitter does indeed cause most of the flickering. I removed the BP display from the TX and the majority of flickering went away. I still have some and am not completely happy with the BP, but at least I am on the right track.

I have the TX antennae pointed downward on the side.......should I mount it in a different location or orientation?

Buk said:
I have not found my problem and am continuing to investigate it. I have purchased an RF power meter and exploring its operation to see if I can get a clue as to what is going on with my poor quality video.

I switched out an ImmersionRC 600 for a Flysight 400 video transmitter. The Flysight has 32 channels that match the Black Pearl. Using a ImmersionRC RF Power Meter, I found the channel on the Vtx with the most signal output after powering the transmitter for 20 minutes to get it warmed up. I switched to that channel on the Black Pearl.

I still see some color shifts, static and other aberrations. Improved...perhaps.

I have not been figured out how to get the Power Meter to function to evaluate the which combinations of antennas should provide the best transmitted and received signal.

Buk said:
Buk said:

I switched out an ImmersionRC 600 for a Flysight 400 video transmitter. The Flysight has 32 channels that match the Black Pearl. Using a ImmersionRC RF Power Meter, I found the channel on the Vtx with the most signal output after powering the transmitter for 20 minutes to get it warmed up. I switched to that channel on the Black Pearl.

I still see some color shifts, static and other aberrations. Improved...perhaps.

I have not been figured out how to get the Power Meter to function to evaluate the which combinations of antennas should provide the best transmitted and received signal.

So the flysight 400 was no better? Also what antennas are you using. That's my next step. Would that help?

At this point, I don't feel comfortable recommending anything. I perceived a slight improvement, not something I can quantify. The "defects" seemed to occur less often and less extreme. Seemed.

I have the white Fat Shark mushrooms, red and black Immersion mushrooms, a set of cloverleafs, and all the factory supplied antenna for Fat Shark, Immersion, Flysights.

Most of my flying is at construction sites, less than a block away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic