Need an iPad….Is the cheapest Mini the one to get?

Reaction score
Just bought a P4 and my fingers are crossed it wasn't built on a Monday. I thought I had use of an iPad, but the family member has rescinded permission….so I guess I need to buy one. The apple store has iPad mini as refurbs for a decent price. These are wifi only and 16 Gig. Not the new Mini 4. For flying are these a good choice? I have pretty lousy vision and need all the help I can get, so flying it with my Android phone would not be good. My first post, hope to be a regular.
Thanks in advance.

Hey man, im new here as well. I just bought a P4 too and after doing a lot of research it seems that the Nvidia Shield K1 is likely the best bang for your buck. I ordered one yesterday. However, a refurbished iPad could be worth a look too. Is it a mini 3 or mini 4? I've heard the mini 2 is not the best choice anymore.

Happy tablet hunting!

iPad Pro 9.7" is very impressive, it is the brightest iPad ever and the battery life is awesome too.

It was a mini 2 I was looking at at on their website. . The iPad Pro sounds nice, but certainly is expensive. Is the software for the P4 just as happy on an Android platform or does it prefer Mac?
Tia

What I hear is the wifi versions of iPads don't have gps. They will work but won't be "locationally accurate" as one with cell service. What is good is that you don't need service for gps feature.

I'm an Apple guy but that Shield K1 looks good, especially for the price.

It was a mini 2 I was looking at at on their website. . The iPad Pro sounds nice, but certainly is expensive. Is the software for the P4 just as happy on an Android platform or does it prefer Mac?
Tia

I have in my P4 used Ipad mini 2 cellular and it has worked great no problems except that it has to be restore to new ipad via Itunes. Then it will work well with Go app. Haven't have any probs with my mini 2 (with GPS).

Personally I would go with the biggest screen you can afford. Reason being is that obstacle avoidance can't see everything, power lines, thin tree branches, etc. having a little big of extra screen real estate is never a bad thing. I would look into the iPad Air/2.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I bought an iPad mini 4 and it works great. I was using a nvidia shield but I wanted to use the digital zoom feature that's only available for IOS devices.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

iPad mini 3 is cheaper and recommended by forum help and dji

Thanks for the tips. Is having the cellular model that beneficial? With two teenagers in the house I am pretty sick of my cell company invoice at the end of every month.

Thanks for the tips. Is having the cellular model that beneficial? With two teenagers in the house I am pretty sick of my cell company invoice at the end of every month.

They will only work with cellular not just wifi, for gps. If you have a cellular iPad don't install a SIM card, it isn't needed to fly the phantom.

They will only work with cellular not just wifi, for gps. If you have a cellular iPad don't install a SIM card, it isn't needed to fly the phantom.

OK, I have been reading more in other threads on the forum. (I guess this gets answered all the time) So much to read for a Newby. Thanks, will continue trying to make good decisions before launch.

OK, I have been reading more in other threads on the forum. (I guess this gets answered all the time) So much to read for a Newby. Thanks, will continue trying to make good decisions before launch.
I think I have narrowed it down to a cellular Air (either 1 or 2). Do you need more than 16 GB of Ram (Is it abeneficial and worth it?) IS the AIr1 close to be the equal of the 2 when it comes to Phantom 4 performance now...and or down the line?

Tia

Hey man, im new here as well. I just bought a P4 too and after doing a lot of research it seems that the Nvidia Shield K1 is likely the best bang for your buck. I ordered one yesterday. However, a refurbished iPad could be worth a look too. Is it a mini 3 or mini 4? I've heard the mini 2 is not the best choice anymore.

Happy tablet hunting!

where did you ordered Nvidia from? looks like it sold out everywhere. i also want one.

I'm happy with the iPad Mini 3 16GB with WiFi only. If I need GPS I can use the iPhone 6s Plus

Bought an iPad Air 1 from Walmart for $249 a week ago. Can't beat that.
Best Buy had the iPad Mini 2 for $199 last week.

I went in for that when they had them on sale but ended up walking out with a Galaxy Tab A 8" simply because of the lack of GPS on the iPad.

Reactions: SCGENE
Aaaaaaand the Tab A is going back tomorrow. I'm going to give the Shield K1 a try. The video stream is just way too laggy with the Tab A even after setting it to run thin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair