Need advice on sunglasses for drone flying.

Reaction score
I am a Phantom 4 Pilot. I posted this question on another thread for several days and have not received any answers. I am looking for polar and non-polar sunglasses with a wrap design that have options for or come with dark or amber colored lenses. If possible, I would appreciate suggestions on glasses that have replaceable lenses. The price tag that I am looking at is is from $0 to around $100. I am looking for sunglasses to wear while flying my Phantom 4 Pro outside on sunny days and would appreciate suggestions on possible models. Thanks in advance.

I am a Phantom 4 Pilot. I posted this question on another thread for several days and have not received any answers. I am looking for polar and non-polar sunglasses
Cross polarised glass off your list.
They don't go well with LCD screens which also have polarised glass.
Just try looking at a phone or tablet at different angles using polarised glasses and you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: TontoFAC and MTO
Meta4 is right, polarizers don't work well with screens and some will look black. For that matter, no sunglasses work well for seeing the dim screen either in sunlight. My car has a GPS map in the dash and it's almost impossible to see it with sunglasses on so I have to look around them.

Epson sells the Movino FPV glasses, but reviewers say using them with the dark sun filter allows them to see the screen (It's ahead of the shades.) makes it too dark to see the drone in the sky easily.

Fix one problem, and create another one.

Reactions: MTO
As a full size pilot some years ago, I recall seeing sunglasses that had most of the upper portion of the lens tinted, but left the lower portion untinted so you could see the instruments, or in your case the display.

Reactions: With The Birds
Look for either "half tint" or "gradient tint".

I had a pair of sunglasses made with readers on bottom at America’s Best. I use them with Crystal Sky ( built in monitor) and can see small screen perfect . I’m sure you can order a pair with tints at either 50 to 75% of lens.

I am a Phantom 4 Pilot. I posted this question on another thread for several days and have not received any answers. I am looking for polar and non-polar sunglasses with a wrap design that have options for or come with dark or amber colored lenses. If possible, I would appreciate suggestions on glasses that have replaceable lenses. The price tag that I am looking at is is from $0 to around $100. I am looking for sunglasses to wear while flying my Phantom 4 Pro outside on sunny days and would appreciate suggestions on possible models. Thanks in advance.

As avid gun shooter I would recommend you get the SSP gun shooting glasses that allow for 3 different tints for the sun and a small magnified field for up close viewing which can be used on the Monitor. You will find most Polarized glasses just to dark,.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain
Coal

Darkness and polarization are two different things. As already mentioned, you don't want polarized because it messes with seeing the screen. I don't wear any sunglasses while flying, as I'm looking at the screen nearly 100% of the time. I wear a large brimmed hat and seek shade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1