Need advice on backpack vs hard case and prop removal

Reaction score
I'm ordering a case for my p3. I like the smaller size of a backpack, but I also like being able to leave props on. I guess it's one or the other. For those who take of their propellers after every flight, is it a pain in the rear? Do the props loose their tightness since their threads are plastic? Would you have rather purchased a case so you could leave props on? Thanks in advance for the help!!

I'm ordering a case for my p3. I like the smaller size of a backpack, but I also like being able to leave props on. I guess it's one or the other. For those who take of their propellers after every flight, is it a pain in the rear? Do the props loose their tightness since their threads are plastic? Would you have rather purchased a case so you could leave props on? Thanks in advance for the help!!
Removing and installing props takes less than 2 mins, is no hassle, and you illuminate the chance of unduly stressing anything while packed and in transit. The threads wear well, you will get them on of off over 100 times without issue.

if nothing else,having to take off and put on your props everytime, for me reminds me to give them a quick check for cracks and chips etc.so its not a bad thing and no its not a pain in the ***.you get used to doing it.no the props dont loose their tightness.you would feel it if they did.i have a hard back case and it works fine for me.

Reactions: With The Birds
No, it's not a pain and no, installing/removing them does not wear the threads. I have >300 flights on the original props. I have an inexpensive hard shell backpack and it's excellent.

if nothing else,having to take off and put on your props everytime, for me reminds me to give them a quick check for cracks and chips etc.so its not a bad thing and no its not a pain in the ***.you get used to doing it.no the props dont loose their tightness.you would feel it if they did.i have a hard back case and it works fine for me.
Off topic but I have to ask- was cookaburra taken as a username?

I like the back pack, but it would be nice not to take the props off. Depends if youre going to hike anywhere with it. You cant beat it when you have to walk somewhere. Doesnt hurt the props or loosen them. They are simple to detatch.

My feedback is pretty much the same. I have a hardshell case that I love. At first I thought it would be a hassel having to put on and remove the props but it is no big deal and as cuckaburra noted its an opportunity to check their condition.
More importantly it is an opportunity to make sure they are snug. I believe if you are flying pretty fast and make a hard stop it can loosen the props which might go unnoticed if you kept them on all the time.
In terms of stripping the threads, happened to me once shortly after getting my P3 but it was from inexperience and never happened again.
Go with the prop less case. Its smaller and easier to carry.

Off topic but I have to ask- was cookaburra taken as a username?
Lol yes.kookaburra is an Australian bird(in case you didn't know) and years ago when i went to use it someone else had it.so i just spelled it differently.i probably should have used cookaburra but it didn't enter my head.

Lol yes.kookaburra is an Australian bird(in case you didn't know) and years ago when i went to use it someone else had it.so i just spelled it differently.i probably should have used cookaburra but it didn't enter my head.
I always have a least one family who regularly visits for a feed. We have plenty of native birds around, very few cats fortunately.

I bought a backpack (ULTIMAXX DJI Backpack PRO) and I have been very happy with it. I take the props off every time, but you have the option of strapping the Phantom to the outside of the backpack. It's intended for short distances and you can leave the props on for it. I prefer to take the props on and off, that ensures that I have verified that they are on securely before each flight.

I have a backpack which i prefer as even though its quite big, it's a lot more low-key than the hardshell ones.
I've only taken my P3S out for about 5 flights so far, but like others have said, it's a quick job taking props off and putting them on. Plus it prompts you to check their condition and tightness.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie