Neck Strap Failure

Reaction score
I was setting up today to get some pictures of a friend in a 12 mile run as she went by. Walking to the launch point with the remote hanging around my neck the slip on the strap broke. Tis the white DJI one and I have the Inspire mount on the controller.

The whole thing tumbled to the asphalt (no, couldn't have happened while I was on the grass). Galaxy S2 got chewed on the corners, the long Argtek antenna popped out of joint and my heart stopped for a moment.

Luckily the antenna just separated at the joint an went back together fine. I did have the panel one for RC in the case so I could have swapped to that, though I was only flying about 20m up (at most) and within a radius of 20m so the distance panel would have seemed silly. :D

Once I got set up I couldn't connect to the quad. Finally just turned my mobile off and it connected. But for a moment I thought something might have come undone internally (and my screw driver was at home).

I have bought a sturdier clip for the strap and I have the back strap thing from DJI on order to deliver today (thanks Amazon Prime Same Day)

Had that happen to me, fortunately on nice, sharp gravel. Everything buffed out. But I've been taking to making my own straps out of nylon runner and the cheapo caribiners (the toy kind, not the climbing versions). They are still much stronger than the clips I've seen on commercial stuff.

I will say I am glad it didn't happen while I was hanging over water getting ready to launch... or just after launch.

I have used my Canon DSLR neck strap and a cheap alloy carabiner. Works great. Otherwise when flying long distance I have put a tripod mount into the controller

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Falcon900

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj