Near miss...

Well it is because of the recklous, incompetent, and just plain stupid people out there that "drones" are getting bad press. Those who blatantly disregard the rules because of their perceived rights, and for trying to be cool, are going to make it difficult to impossible for those who are being responsible UAS Pilots.

Reactions: PJ Orlando
I wonder how many of these are actually drones though.... The AMA did a follow up to the FAA report of "close calls" and found that a huge number of the FAA's reported close calls had either nothing to do with drones or weren't close calls. Now it seems whenever a pilot sees something that they can't immediately identify it's a "drone" close call.

That said... I am SURE there are idiots who are ruining this hobby for the rest of us and doing stupid things (in fact, many of those idiots come on forums like this and brag).... I just hope it never comes down to someone bringing down a manned aircraft because they feel like the rules don't apply to them.

Reactions: JTC
"I wonder how many of these are actually drones though...."

Sadly, we may find out after they extract the remains from what first appeared to be a 'bird strike' and then it will be too late.

Every time there is a so called near miss with a quad copter and a plane why is this always followed by a photo of DJI phantom even though there are many more types of quad copters at there .So if the press are reading this please use a photo of another quadcopter or even better stop reporting near misses with planes and objects that are probably nothing to do with quadcopters . A pilot flying at such high speeds could not even see a quadcopter , but the powers that be don't want quadcopters in the sky so we will probably get more and more made up stories of such sightings I guess

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hmm...

This article was passed to me by 'the Boss (Wife)' but with hindsight and a little more reading I have to agree that there are a few inaccuracies and dubious statements in the article.

Quote:

"The near miss at Stansted saw a drone fly over the Boeing 737 by about 16ft, as the aircraft was at about 4,000ft during take-off.

In another incident, a drone narrowly missed hitting the wing of a Boeing 777 shortly after take-off from Heathrow Airport on 22 September.

This took place at 2,000ft - double the legal altitude limit for drones transmitting live video to their operators."

Missed by 16ft... Well, that's a good judgement while moving at, what, 200-300mph

When is 2000ft double the 'legal' altitude for drones. I thought 120mts or 400ft was the max even with a PFAW.

From what I hear, the UK (so far) has not been as tough on this hobby as the USA.

These media reports are indicators that the Powers That Be in the UK are about to start following the USA's lead to begin restricting sUAV's more.
First the media propaganda blitz to stir up the gullible voters and create a sense of urgency....then new laws, applauded by those being saved from the fictitious dangers. It worked a treat in the USA.

Enjoy the hobby now. You have a year or less.

my opinion.

Here's a couple "drone" sightings that happened in Florida the past year.

"Another pilot reported seeing a 5-foot-long black drone at 13,000 feet over Martin County."

"Another pilot in a Gulfstream jet flying to New Jersey said he “came within 20 feet of a good-sized, fast-moving opposite direction white (drone) with wings” at 25,500 feet about 50 miles east of PBIA."

Here's a couple "drone" sightings that happened in Florida the past year.

"Another pilot reported seeing a 5-foot-long black drone at 13,000 feet over Martin County."

"Another pilot in a Gulfstream jet flying to New Jersey said he “came within 20 feet of a good-sized, fast-moving opposite direction white (drone) with wings” at 25,500 feet about 50 miles east of PBIA."
Military grade?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj