Near miss with airliner in L.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Another near miss. This one in Los Angeles. My question is how can the pilot see the drone when the plane is going 200 miles an hour. Think about how small your drone is at 400 feet. Now think about trying to see one while flying 200 mph? I don't know how they can say they see it? Not good press for our hobby/profession. Still find it hard to believe they can see them.

Easy, speck appears thru windscreen, speck doesn't move.....uh oh.

Plus no smart pilot wears polarized sunglasses. So any shine or glint from miles away is easy to catch. Plus you can't see instrument screens with polarized glasses. Ever try to pump gas and read the screen on the pump with polarized sunglasses?

Can't imagine a pilot fibbing to ATC, scrambling LAPD/LASO, spooling up a chopper to investigate and filing a false written report.

Easy, speck appears thru windscreen, speck doesn't move.....uh oh.

Plus no smart pilot wears polarized sunglasses. So any shine or glint from miles away is easy to catch. Plus you can't see instrument screens with polarized glasses. Ever try to pump gas and read the screen on the pump with polarized sunglasses?

Can't imagine a pilot fibbing to ATC, scrambling LAPD/LASO, spooling up a chopper to investigate and filing a false written report.
But very good glasses for sight-fishing.:cool:
I don't doubt the pilot saw something, but what do you suppose it was up there at 5000 feet? Clearly can't be a "consumer" level multirotor, right?
I'd be interested in what the pilot actually reported, story only quotes the FAA.

Reactions: Air Ontario
It could all be false flags so that they can easily slip through heavier restrictions. Who knows...

Near miss with airliner in LA

I agree. I just can't believe these stories. They are using the pilots story, probably backed up by the co-pilot but, at that speed there is no way
In hell that the other could say did you see that? And the other actually see anything. I don' t think either of them saw anything.

I wish somebody would actually test the situation with a big airliner with no passengers. Just pilot and co-workers pilot doing regular take off things at altitude and fly a drone at them at an altitude above or below them un- announced and see if they see it and do it 4 or 5 times and see what happens. I would take a bet they would not see it once. They are too busy at take off and while vision may be good it is not that good.

Then again I could be wrong and they luck out once.

If it means facing disciplinary actions for human error, then that theory is not too far fetched.
I believe many, if not all these sightings are to cover up some error made by a pilot, fire battalion chief or whomever just to cover their a$$es.
The ' drone made me do it' becomes an easy scapegoat.

Until I see a photo or video from the said aircraft, fire chief or whomever, then they are all false.

I can't imagine a pilot consuming alcohol or drugs before flying, but it happens.

But very good glasses for sight-fishing.:cool:
I don't doubt the pilot saw something, but what do you suppose it was up there at 5000 feet? Clearly can't be a "consumer" level multirotor, right?
I'd be interested in what the pilot actually reported, story only quotes the FAA.
I believe many are birds but if you get a glint that's not on the fish finder and ATC has no traffic in your area and you have that speck not moving it initiates the pucker factor. So I tend to believe those types.

Sometimes ATC only get a call from the military when their drones go astray. However this didn't sound like one of those..

More of a general question, but how the hell does a modern, double-decker airliner, outfitted with flight recorders, cockpit voice recorders and loads of other technology not have the equivalent of a dash-cam?

Reactions: stulpin300m
If it means facing disciplinary actions for human error, then that theory is not too far fetched.
I believe many, if not all these sightings are to cover up some error made by a pilot, fire battalion chief or whomever just to cover their a$$es.
The ' drone made me do it' becomes an easy scapegoat.

Until I see a photo or video from the said aircraft, fire chief or whomever, then they are all false.

I can't imagine a pilot consuming alcohol or drugs before flying, but it happens.
Possible he pooched the approach but not likely and I didn't see anything about evasive action(i imagine he would though). However it is pretty violent when a pilot really goes to the spurs and whip on a big jet trying to avoid a collision.

Plus it is hard to pooch an approach to LAX if you know your left and right.

However I'm guessing like you all.

More of a general question, but how the hell does a modern, double-decker airliner, outfitted with flight recorders, cockpit voice recorders and loads of other technology not have the equivalent of a dash-cam?
Almost all larger aircraft have a fish finder/TCAS, two pilots, etc. to validate, just no visual recorder.

There's no evidence whatsoever that this aircraft had to or did take any evasive action. I doubt that the pilot was trying to hide something else. But I just think that it's much more likely that they saw something and reported it as a "drone." Could have been anything. Bird. Balloon. R/C. We have read enough of these reports that were totally wrong in the FAA database yet were reported as drones.

Tcas relies on plane transponders being interrogated different then a fish finder. When I fly in my piper arrow seeing planes in the pattern on final when flying base or downwind is difficult enough against the landacape.be surprised if they could easily spot a quad.

Reactions: TacAir42
More evidence please.

Tcas relies on plane transponders being interrogated different then a fish finder. When I fly in my piper arrow seeing planes in the pattern on final when flying base or downwind is difficult enough against the landacape.be surprised if they could easily spot a quad.
What he said, everytime I fly a Cessna I have a hard time spotting traffic in the pattern let alone a small a small multicolor. It's also hard to see traffic in the vicinity as you're cruising because it blends in with the landscape and this is at 110 knots.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: TacAir42
You could be waiting a long time for that.
Assuming the crew isn't engaged in anything important (like bring an airliner down to land)
Pilot sees small UFO out in front ..
Pilot decides to take a photo ...
Pilot finds camera and turns it on ...
Pilot looks in viewfinder ...
By that time it's long gone

You could be waiting a long time for that.
Assuming the crew isn't engaged in anything important (like bring an airliner down to land)
Pilot sees small UFO out in front ..
Pilot decides to take a photo ...
Pilot finds camera and turns it on ...
Pilot looks in viewfinder ...
By that time it's long gone

Where's the video from the drone, the battalion chief or whomever on the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie