Near Disaster, Amazing Recovery...

Reaction score
I was flying my P4 on a flight sequence in Austria a few weeks ago. It was a planned out sequence, but operated manually. I knew I was above the roof line of the subject building, but wanted to stay close for effect. I had 2 spotters on the ground, but I was focused on the shot, not the drone. Again, I knew I had clearance and I was flying forward with all sensors active.

Both spotters yelled to stop, but it was too late. Unseen by me, the camera, or the drone sensors, was a thin lightening rod at the top of the building. The P4 hit it, tumbled, and then suddenly recovered and went into a hover. I immediately raised the altitude and could not believe the thing was still flying.

Testing the controls, it seemed stable and I still had about 70% battery, so we continued the filming at a higher altitude for safety. After 15 minutes, I landed. What I saw next shocked all of us! The drone was flying, completely stable on 3 and 1/4 rotors. Who would have guessed!? One rotor was almost non-existent and another had chips missing on it's blade. But the imagery was still rock solid and controls seemed normal.

I must give BIG kudos to DJI for designing a drone that could still fly under these damaged conditions. Very impressive and quite thankful I was. Naturally I replaced the damaged blades before the next flight. A very close call to disaster, but a real test of a well made bird!

Amazing!
Have any pictures to share of the blades ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should RTH immediately after a crash. You were risking it by continuing the mission.

Not surprising. The flight controller gyros are very good at keeping the unit stable. I also race drones and have struck tree branches causing multiple blades to be damaged and missing on return. Any UAV with a good FC will do a similar job.

I gave the blades away to my client, who was quite impressed at the flight recovery. Did not take any pics of the damage unfortunately.
As others have talked about here multiple times. The biggest take-away is that a pilot must remember that height and depth perception are not accurate from a distance, it can be very deceiving indeed. The temptation in filming is to get as close as possible to objects, because that is where the best depth of field lies. The best sense of motion is when you are passing a nearby object. But that is also where the danger lies. So it's always a dance between the most dynamic imagery and safety of the bird. (The "P5" needs object detection in 360 around the drone. But that adds weight and cost of course...)

Have you ever considered using fpv googles as complementary visual help wearing them for checks? (HDMI video output works simultaneously to tablet)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4