NDVI

Reaction score
I am looking to do some crop work, was wondering if adding filters or removing them would be possible or would it be easier to add another camera that has been converted. Would post processing of the photos work just as a base line. I am using Esri, arc map 10.1 thanks

No add-on filters for the P3, for now, but not sure how filters applies to cropping,

I think with aerial photography with the P3's sensor and optics, I'm not planning on using any filters, but rather counting on post to fix color balance and any lens aberrations, if any...

Thanks for the replies, I'm a forestry professional and was looking to find something I could get into on the side. Drone use for ag use seems to be taking off and I'm proficient with GIS / mappin just not photography as it applies to filtering. I think the P3 would be a good platform.

The image collection is the key.
I didn't see where esri had automated flying. And, if it does, you will want to check with them on when they plan on supporting the P3.

I've been looking at the pix4d software, they have said P3 support is coming "soon".

My use will be for ag. Though, it seems that depending on what output you want, an airframe specifically made for that purpose may be a better choice, with ir camera, etc.

He was referring to agriculture rather than trimming images.
NDVI is Normalized Difference Vegetation Index.

Guess I'm out of my league in this conversation, but at least I learned something new!

My suggestion is to fly an overlapping flight plan shooting pics at 5s and stitch the pics together.
The P3 camera can shoot timed pics @ 5s, 7s and 10s.
Set it for 5s and then set your speed to get good overlap going forward and at least 30% overlap on the sides.
Make sure you shutter speed is fast if you are flying low.
Best is probably 2-400 feet.
Then find a good program to stitch it together.
Agisoft Photoscan Pro can be downloaded used for free trial.
It is very expensive to buy so look around for some that even sell by the month.
You could take your pics with aany lens from 60 to 94 degree lens and end up with an incredibly sharp, detailed photos.
You could resize the file and go to Staples and get a 3x4 foot photo that will blow you away.
Anything is possible.
Such as spotting insect infestations long before they ever do on the ground.
With NDVI sick trees stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic