ND filters

Reaction score
Hi, Recently I saw ND2-400 variable filters on Ebay for about $30-40. It would be great to get some comments and feedback on the filter from anyone who owns it. It looks like it's a good idea as you don't have to carry multiple filters with you and change them all the time. From other hand I'm concerned about quality and weight of the filter.

Is it this one? If so, I found it has favorable reviews on various websites. I ordered one from Amazon to try it. It won't arrive until next week though.

Not the same as the one I got, but YMMV. The adjustable ND filter I got was great but had areas of light and dark (very subtle), but I found out is caused by the fact that its basically two circular polarizers (or something like that).

Dima, I'll come back next week and let you know how it works -- if you want.

I just got one of them recently and I Like it a lot. Its seems very well made. and even tho I have only used it for video (I hear they can cause a dark cross on pics due to the 2 polarizing filters but not on video for some reason)

I really like the fact that I dont need to swap out different filters . All I need to do is look at the exposer setting in the app and turn the filter till its at a perfect 0 and all set to fly. With no rolling shutter or jello in my vids.
and any flights over water the surface looks much better as well. Due to the polarizing lenses.

I just got one of them recently and I Like it a lot. Its seems very well made. and even tho I have only used it for video (I hear they can cause a dark cross on pics due to the 2 polarizing filters but not on video for some reason)

I really like the fact that I dont need to swap out different filters . All I need to do is look at the exposer setting in the app and turn the filter till its at a perfect 0 and all set to fly. With no rolling shutter or jello in my vids.
and any flights over water the surface looks much better as well. Due to the polarizing lenses.

Where did you by it from and what brand is it?

Reactions: BigAl07
Ditto on where and brand. Sounds interesting.

Dima, I'll come back next week and let you know how it works -- if you want.
Hello msinger, did you already have the chance to try it? Really curious, especially for video; cannot find much reviews on the web. I have the PolarPro 3pieces set, but need higher ND than 8. They are good but rather expensive.

Hello msinger, did you already have the chance to try it? Really curious, especially for video; cannot find much reviews on the web. I have the PolarPro 3pieces set, but need higher ND than 8. They are good but rather expensive.
Hi Marlijn,
It looks like msinger is still waiting for his filter. I've got mine today. I didn't try it yet on flight, but already noticed two problems:
Problem 1 - It's heavy (about 10 grams in comparison to original polariser 2gr).
Problem 2- The diameter of the filter is greater than diameter of the standard DJI polariser, so, if you are using any lens/filter protectors or covers, they will don't fit any more. I'll try it in the air on the weekend and give you more feedback than.

Hi Marlijn,
It looks like msinger is still waiting for his filter. I've got mine today. I didn't try it yet on flight, but already noticed two problems:
Problem 1 - It's heavy (about 10 grams in comparison to original polariser 2gr).
Problem 2- The diameter of the filter is greater than diameter of the standard DJI polariser, so, if you are using any lens/filter protectors or covers, they will don't fit any more. I'll try it in the air on the weekend and give you more feedback than.
Hi Dima, thanks. I do not like the 10g... Curious though for your experience next weekend, thanks for more feedback later.

Hi Dima, thanks. I do not like the 10g... Curious though for your experience next weekend, thanks for more feedback later.
Hi Marlijn,
Today I've tried the filter for the first time. Please read my comments in youtube under the clip:

Even tho the one I have is heavier then the original UV filter I have not encountered any problems related to that at all so far. I dont get any gimbal motor over load messages on the screen and even in wind it seems ok and dont give me any gimbal motor overload messages in the wind either..

Tho the bigger outer diameter does suck a tiny bit with the lens caps or my combo cap and gimbal lock don't fit any more.

Dima said:
Hi Marlijn,
Today I've tried the filter for the first time. Please read my comments in youtube under the clip:
Hi Dima, looks fine to me, only...those dark corners...I do not want them. Thanks for the feedback!

Wow when I just seen that I realized that I never looked for the dark corners in any of the videos I shot with the filter and was only looking at the colors and the lack of rolling shutter effect jitters and what not.. BUT luckily for some reason when I just went back and looked at some videos I shot with the filter I dont even see any hint of the dark corners in any of them. But I guess it could also make a difference depending on how much the filter is turned for what ever light conditions. OR it could just be some thing that some brands of these do it and maybe others dont.

mine was similar just not as exaggerated. that's why I ended up returning and I'm looking at ordering separate filters.

Quick guide to darkened corners and the use of polarizing filters.

1. Darkened corners are known as "vignetting" and are caused by a number of issues including a situation where the depth of the filter barrel is longer than the optimum length of the lens system and the sensor "sees" the edges of the tube. You can see this sometimes when using a DSLR with a lens hood. The most common solution for this issue is to shoot at a higher resolution and crop out the corners. For a good read on this issue see this article: What is Vignetting? How Can I Avoid It or Get Rid of It? - Digital Photo Secrets

2. Darkened centers are often the result of using improperly adjusted or oriented polarizers. There are two types of polarizers. The type we have here are linear polarizers. All polarizers are shot specific and oriented in such a way that they work best at 90 degrees to the sun. Linear Polarizers are not ND filters but they have some of the same effect and as they are adjusted to approach full polarizing effect, they mimic (to some extent) the darkening of an ND filter, but rather than being even across the subject like an ND, they concentrate the darkening through the center. Therefore center darkening can be attributed to incorrect orientation of the camera to the sun AND whether the lens is wide angle or narrow. Because the Phantom 3 camera is a wide angle lens, you will see more center darkening when using crossing linear polarizing filters as a substitute for ND filters.

Finally, on the issue of weight, if you find a set of filters that you are really impressed by but are too heavy, you can easily counterbalance the weight distribution by the attachment of removable zinc automobile wheel weights Hofmann® - 380 Type Zinc Adhesive Weights (Item # 4306307) to the appropriate places on the camera or arms. This is a method I have used with my Rainbowers Matte box filter set The professional filter set for the Phantom 3 | DJI Phantom Forum for a couple of months and have never had a single problem with gimbal balance or load. I have attained much better balance with the weights than were provided by DJI in the stock configuration. Please note that you should use only Zinc weights. Even though no one has ever reported compass issues when using Fe weights, there is no reason to temp fate. By the way, lead weights are also available but do have a negative environmental impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrewrobinson
@Jeff48920 that was really helpful, question, if they are circular polarizers do they still need to be adjusted based on the lighting of the shot?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav