ND Filters while taking pictures

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question I've got... I'm going to purchase the taco ND filters and just wondered if I'm on a flight and using the ND filters for videos and take photos during the same flight will it have a positive/negative effect on the photos? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Should be the same result either way. How the video looks is how the stills will turn out.

In video you might want a to use ND filter to be able to use longer exposure to get some motion blur so the movements look smoother. But usually you don't want motion blur in images? So...?

Last edited:
Hi, just a quick question I've got... I'm going to purchase the taco ND filters and just wondered if I'm on a flight and using the ND filters for videos and take photos during the same flight will it have a positive/negative effect on the photos? Thanks
ND filters are like sunglasses for your camera and simply reduce the amount of light coming in.
There is a particular reason the video shooters use them (to allow shooting with a lower shutter speed) but this isn't much help for 99% of still photos.
Unless you have a particular reason to use a slow shutter speed, ND filters are not a good thing fr almost all drone photography.

Reactions: beakeru2
ND filters are like sunglasses for your camera and simply reduce the amount of light coming in.
There is a particular reason the video shooters use them (to allow shooting with a lower shutter speed) but this isn't much help for 99% of still photos.
Unless you have a particular reason to use a slow shutter speed, ND filters are not a good thing fr almost all drone photography.
So what would you recommend doing in the situation where your in flight and want to take both videos and photos? Use no filter or just take both with the ND filter on? Thanks

I use a ND8 filter on most bright or sunny days. I only shoot video but take screenshots from my video as well. I find that while you pan (yaw) the craft you do get a blurred look to the video which looks ok. And once the craft is stationery in the air you get a nice sharp image to take a screenshot. I guess if I was only taking photos I would leave off the ND filter as jello would not be an issue on still images. But prefer both video & and the option for still shots.

So what would you recommend doing in the situation where your in flight and want to take both videos and photos? Use no filter or just take both with the ND filter on? Thanks

That question has already been answered for you Ryan. If you want to shoot photos, you may want to fly without a filter.
If you want to shoot some video, and it's bright / reflective (snow, water, etc.), land that thing and put on a filter, buddy. There is no substitute to "messing around" with the camera settings and figuring out what works best during the conditions you have during your flight.

The Phantom cameras are ok for what/who they're sold...and at the price point. Need to coax some more quality by shooting in manual mode and learning to use the tools they give us (histogram, shutter, white balance, etc.) Awesome videos and pictures are not an accident.

Rules of thumb:
Lower shutter speed = motion blur = good for digital video
Faster shutter speed = tight/sharp image = good for digital photos (still photography)
Re: VIDEO: For a more "professional result", your Shutter Speed should be double (2x) your current frame rate (frames per second = FPS)

Suggestions to help tune up your skillz:
  1. Fred Hagan provides awesome drone/non-drone related photo/video tutorials
  2. Ted Forbes @ The Art of Photography does a good job of explaining P3 camera settings and why..
  3. Dave Ditz @ DitzCo.com supplied me with the filters I use for every flight. Great info on their FAQ page that may help you.
Hope this helps you out some...

Last edited:
Reactions: ELHEAPO and Meta4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers