ND filters and settings

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Snake River Prototyping 16-8 graduated ND filter. I know there isn't a 'best setting' but where should I start?
Im using manual vid with the following settings

100 iso
2.7k 24fps
50 shutter speed
log-colour
auto white balance

Sharpeness -1, saturation -2, contrast -1

On a reasonably sunny day with a bit of cloud cover I'm getting over exposed video (+1.3EV) with these settings. Is there any other settings I need to change to get exposure down?
heres a short video that I've tinkered with in Premiere Pro

Cheers

Hugh

Reactions: gvsukids
Your settings look optimal for a day that requires those settings. I would use manual white balance and exposure as it looks odd when the camera switches mid shot. If you edit your video you could use Log mode and adjust the video in post. Use your histogram and the over exposure warning stripes to fathom your exposure. I always try to under expose slightly as you can't bring back very over exposed video. Always aim for the lowest ISO possible and keep your shutter speed at around twice your frame rate. You may need different ND filter grades to achieve your shutter speed and exposure balance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Your settings look optimal for a day that requires those settings. I would use manual white balance and exposure as it looks odd when the camera switches mid shot. If you edit your video you could use Log mode and adjust the video in post. Use your histogram and the over exposure warning stripes to fathom your exposure. I always try to under expose slightly as you can't bring back very over exposed video. Always aim for the lowest ISO possible and keep your shutter speed at around twice your frame rate. You may need different ND filter grades to achieve your shutter speed and exposure balance.

This is what I'm doing, but I'm really struggling to get the exposure down. Is the higher nd filter out there than a 16?

You can get an ND32. If you are in manual mode you can raise your shutter speed to reduce exposure. ND16 is usually the sweet spot though. Best to shoot photos and video earlier or later in the day as well not when the sun is at its peak like mid day.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj