nd Filter

Reaction score
How do you mount them?

I purchased ND filters - threaded. I was told, on the forum that you just (JUST) unscrew the clear lens cap and screw them in. Well, including the use of pliers to the point that the glass broke, the front doesn't unscrew. It looks like the filters should slide over the outside, but they obviously don't. they are threaded.

Anyone with help here?

The Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional don't have threads for filters and do not have a removable clear UV filter protecting the lens. You need to use slip-on ND filters.

And you never use pliers on delicate camera equipment. I'm afraid you probably wrecked your camera.

The Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional don't have threads for filters and do not have a removable clear UV filter protecting the lens. You need to use slip-on ND filters.

And you never use pliers on delicate camera equipment. I'm afraid you probably wrecked your camera.
Ummm...you are wrong. The Pro and Advanced both have screw on UV filters installed from the factory. It IS THREADED and REMOVABLE. Slip on filters are not recommended because they add unwanted weight to the camera and can cause the camera to tilt down. You can buy filters for the Pro and Advanced from DJI also.
A simple search and you will learn.

How do you mount them?

I purchased ND filters - threaded. I was told, on the forum that you just (JUST) unscrew the clear lens cap and screw them in. Well, including the use of pliers to the point that the glass broke, the front doesn't unscrew. It looks like the filters should slide over the outside, but they obviously don't. they are threaded.

Anyone with help here?
As HWCM has stated, Mr Salty is mistaken and the screw-on filter on the Advanced and Professional is removable. A threaded ND filter can then be fitted. Removing the original filter requires a delicate touch, not force - and there are lots of threads here about how to do it. These can be found with a seach (magnifying glass symbol, top right)

Reactions: HWCM
How do you mount them?

Anyone with help here?
Why in the world would you ever use pliers on a delicate thing like a camera lens?
Also, why do you need the ND filters? Unless you are filming something that needs to show motion, the are not needed.

You're right, I apologize. I looked at the DJI website and it appeared the Advanced and the Pro did not have a threaded filter.

But the point remains, don't use pliers on something like a delicate camera.

Hopefully the only glass that's broken is the UV filter, which can easily be replaced.

Reactions: HWCM
Do a search. There have been many discussions in the past on how to remove and fit ND filters.
Personally I find it earsier to remove the stock filter by tying rubber band around the circumference of the filter, this applies even pressure around the rim of the filter.

Last edited:
Ummm...you are wrong. The Pro and Advanced both have screw on UV filters installed from the factory. It IS THREADED and REMOVABLE. Slip on filters are not recommended because they add unwanted weight to the camera and can cause the camera to tilt down. You can buy filters for the Pro and Advanced from DJI also.
Yep! I found the problem, I think. Using pliers (risky) put too much pressure in the ring and compressed the threads. When I wrapped a rubber band around the ring and turned it by hand - stiff but doable - it unscrewed handily. Cycled it through a start-up and it seems to align alright -- fly it again when the sun comes out to make sure.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Why in the world would you ever use pliers on a delicate thing like a camera lens?
Also, why do you need the ND filters? Unless you are filming something that needs to show motion, the are not needed.
They are threaded.
Because
and
Because

Do a search. There have been many discussions in the past on how to remove and fit ND filters.
Personally I find it earsier to remove the stock filter by typing rubber band around the circumference of the filter, this applies even pressure around the rim of the filter.
Absolutely right -- should'a but didn't do the research. Was, well, too simple......
Thanks

If you have slip on filters do you have to take the original off and slip them on or just slip them on?

If you have slip on filters do you have to take the original off and slip them on or just slip them on?
With the ones I have, you just slip them over the original filter, although I found mine to still be a bit loose. Also not so good with the extra weight possibly straining the gimbal motors.

How do you mount them?

Anyone with help here?
Greetings @elent1

Your question about unscrewing the filter was answered already, but if you are interested you can click here for several tips that I often share with new P3P/P3A owners. Your question is one of the tips on the list, so perhaps the list will have a few additional useful tidbits for you.

Good luck and happy flying!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav