ND filter material?

Reaction score
I've been doing alot of 4k shooting and noticed the colors have been a bit washed out because of our strong sun in AZ. Of course I just mess with the contrast/brightness/saturation and that makes up for it, but I would rather just prevent it. I want to get an ND filter kit and I found PhantomFilters which are very reasonably priced and many people had good experiences with them on the DJI forum. My only concern is its not glass but I'm guessing plastic. Will this effect the resolution or quality of my 4k videos?

The reason I shoot in 4k is I like to make big 3d panoramas out of the stills that are exported from the 4k video. Fast, easy and beautiful!

I've been doing alot of 4k shooting and noticed the colors have been a bit washed out because of our strong sun in AZ. Of course I just mess with the contrast/brightness/saturation and that makes up for it, but I would rather just prevent it. I want to get an ND filter kit and I found PhantomFilters which are very reasonably priced and many people had good experiences with them on the DJI forum. My only concern is its not glass but I'm guessing plastic. Will this effect the resolution or quality of my 4k videos?

The reason I shoot in 4k is I like to make big 3d panoramas out of the stills that are exported from the 4k video. Fast, easy and beautiful!
The filters are called gels. Basically a color stained plastic. There are good gels and bad gels, just like glass filters. Just do your homework and decide what is best for your needs. I'm guessing you will need either a ND8 or ND16.

I bought the polar pro filter set. They have served me well. They are high quality glass filters, and the ND varieties do not introduce a color cast. My P3P basically lives with the ND8.

Reactions: Ken Hanks
The filters are called gels. Basically a color stained plastic. There are good gels and bad gels, just like glass filters. Just do your homework and decide what is best for your needs. I'm guessing you will need either a ND8 or ND16.
Yea I'm guessing I need ND16 during most of the year and even more during our summers.

I sent you a PM with some questions.

I bought the polar pro filter set. They have served me well. They are high quality glass filters, and the ND varieties do not introduce a color cast. My P3P basically lives with the ND8.
The kit that I would need would be either $100 or $150. Considering I'm not a professional or commercial shooter I would prefer not to spend that much if a less expensive gel option is 'close to' just as good.

The kit that I would need would be either $100 or $150. Considering I'm not a professional or commercial shooter I would prefer not to spend that much if a less expensive gel option is 'close to' just as good.
I purchased this set from www.phantomfilters.com for $25 shipped.

Attachments

• 20160118_165520-1.jpg
    20160118_165520-1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 270

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4