ND Filter Kit for P3 Standard

Reaction score
Today I received an ND filter kit I had ordered a few weeks ago. The kit contains 3 Filters (ND four, eight and a polarized filter), a case for the filters, a lens adaptor, a lens pen and a micro fiber cloth. There is very little weight with a filter on the Phantom so I believe all should be well. I'll try out some photos and videos and report back.

Attachments

• 1456968750419.jpg
    1456968750419.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 1456968765803.jpg
    1456968765803.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 893
Last edited:
I purchased it on Amazon for less than $20. Do a search for: Neewer DJI PHANTOM 3 Camera Accessories (4x Filter for Phantom 3 Standard

This was my quick test with the following camera filters. I left the white balance on auto. I left the shutter speeds on auto. I left the ISO on auto & it seemed to default to 100 for each picture.

The camera was at 90 degrees to the sun.

FOUR PICTURES ARE IN ORDER:

- No Filter (ISO 100, Shutter at 1/3185)
- Polarizer (ISO 100, Shutter at 1/3185)
- ND4 (ISO 100, Shutter at 1/515)
- ND8 (ISO 100, Shutter at 1/165)

DJI_NO FILTER.jpg

DJI_POLARIZER.jpg

DJI_ND4.jpg

DJI_ND8.jpg

Can any if this be done within the go app, it do the filters work best?

All the filters do is reduce your shutter speed so that video looks smoother because of motion blur. They also cut down on glare of snow, rain, water (anything that the sun reflects brightly off of). When you put a filter on a drone it is as if you've placed sunglasses on your drone. You just have to be sure to keep your filters clean and free of finger smudges.

I have the same kit and love it! These are much nicer than the polar pro that cost double

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

All the filters do is reduce your shutter speed so that video looks smoother because of motion blur. They also cut down on glare of snow, rain, water (anything that the sun reflects brightly off of). When you put a filter on a drone it is as if you've placed sunglasses on your drone. You just have to be sure to keep your filters clean and free of finger smudges.

ND Filters do more than just smooth out motion/allow for motion blur. Slower shutter also means less crunchy contrasts, deeper/richer color. Slowing the shutter is also the secret to reducing/avoiding jellocam. Polarizers smooth out gradients in the sky (which is great for the incredibly high compression these cameras use), reduce glare/reflections from water and shiny surfaces, and in general reduce the dynamic range for better compression and prettier pictures.

Here you go ladies & gents. I could only find a very small number of good videos on YouTube showing a demo of camera filters for the Phantom, so I decided to add my own demo video to the mix since some of us shoot pictures and video with snow on the ground (snow really confuses the automatic camera settings). The camera filters used in this demo are inexpensive but certainly do what they are intended to do.

Looks quite neat.
Only thing I'm curious about is the extra load on the gimbal. Does it seem to put a lot of extra weight/strain on the motors?

Would love to try them out, however if this means I'll burn out my gimbal motors I think I'll pass...

(Unfortunately can't find a supplier that will ship me the Neewer filters to The Netherlands though.)

So am I right in saying if shooting with an ND filter, you should use manual WB? Because it seemed to alter your WB in all instances, I'm guessing because it was on Auto WB. So the question is whether to fix it in post, or try and manually correct it in the WB settings of the DJI GO app so it's one less step to do in post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gvsukids

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost