ND Filter + GoPro = Zenmuse keeps dropping

Reaction score
Hello,

I made the switch from the P2 Vision to the P2 with Zenmuse. I ordered a 37mm adapter and ND filter to add to my GoPro. I understand that the gimbal is sensitive to weight but my question is, is there a good way to balance this out to work? I believe the extra weight (which is not much) is causing the gimbal to keep going into hibernation mode (every few minutes or so).

I have searched the forum and haven't been able to find a good solution. I would really like to be able to use the ND filter to better my video quality and would appreciate any feedback that may help with this.

Thanks

It's a no-go on the quarters. It would line up ok and seemed to balance but every once in a while the gimbal would drop out of balance. It works great without the filter on it. I'll keep looking around for a solution.

I bought a GoPro lens protection lens (2 pack for $20, direct from GoPro) to keep from banging up the camera. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the protector is just 5 grams, I had issues with the gimbal whining, and/or going limp.

To rebalance it, I taped a nickel (5g) and a penny (2.5g) to the back of the gimbal, diagonally opposite from the lens. (Because it doesn't extend as far as the lens from the translation (or rotation) point, it has to mass more than the lens.)
That balanced the gimbal front-back, but it was still off balance left/right. A dime (2.3g) taped to the outside of the tilt motor did the trick for the L/R balance.
(I took a punch and dimpled the center of the dime, to prevent it touching the shaft end that is exposed.)
In sum, flight weight is increased by approximately 15 grams. The lens cover (5g) and counterbalancing coins (approx 10g)
The gimbal works flawlessly again.
Okay - not flawlessly, but as good as it did before I got the lens protector.

Attached pic/s show the taped on weights. It looks kind of tacky, so once I'm certain it's working as intended, I'll use 3M double sided high-bond tape to make it semi-permanent.

Attachments

• gimbal-counterweights.jpg
    gimbal-counterweights.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,745
This is exactly what I was looking for; to see if there were any balance issues with the GoPro lens protector. Has your solution with the coin counterweights still working out for you?

Gregori said:
I bought a GoPro lens protection lens (2 pack for $20, direct from GoPro) to keep from banging up the camera. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the protector is just 5 grams, I had issues with the gimbal whining, and/or going limp.

To rebalance it, I taped a nickel (5g) and a penny (2.5g) to the back of the gimbal, diagonally opposite from the lens. (Because it doesn't extend as far as the lens from the translation (or rotation) point, it has to mass more than the lens.)
That balanced the gimbal front-back, but it was still off balance left/right. A dime (2.3g) taped to the outside of the tilt motor did the trick for the L/R balance.
(I took a punch and dimpled the center of the dime, to prevent it touching the shaft end that is exposed.)
In sum, flight weight is increased by approximately 15 grams. The lens cover (5g) and counterbalancing coins (approx 10g)
The gimbal works flawlessly again.
Okay - not flawlessly, but as good as it did before I got the lens protector.

Attached pic/s show the taped on weights. It looks kind of tacky, so once I'm certain it's working as intended, I'll use 3M double sided high-bond tape to make it semi-permanent.
This just answered about 4 questions I have that I haven't been able to get answers to anywhere else! Thank you! Do you have any update on it since posting? Still going strong?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31