Nd 8 or Nd 16 Filter

Reaction score
Hello everyone i want to by nd filter for my phantom 3 professional but i don't know which one to take nd 8 or 16? My main goal is to have the shutter speed to 1/50 even at a bright day. Thanks a lot

I would get both. One filter is not sufficient for all conditions.

Reactions: jhoke
Only buying one is not a good idea. But, if you are forcing me to choose, I would get an 8. If you live in a location where it's normally extremely bright outside, then the 16 would be a better choice. But, on cloudy days, the 8 would work best. Keep in mind that only having one filter means you will not be able to shoot in manual some days.

I like the graduated 16/8 filter from SRP. I'm not interested in carrying around a bunch of filters so I really wanted to hit a sweet spot for all around usage. I haven't tested other products, but I think it's a good choice.

Only buying one is not a good idea. But, if you are forcing me to choose, I would get an 8. If you live in a location where it's normally extremely bright outside, then the 16 would be a better choice. But, on cloudy days, the 8 would work best. Keep in mind that only having one filter means you will not be able to shoot in manual some days.
I live in Greece and there is so much light every day so i will go for the 16 first. Thanks for your help

I like the graduated 16/8 filter from SRP. I'm not interested in carrying around a bunch of filters so I really wanted to hit a sweet spot for all around usage. I haven't tested other products, but I think it's a good choice.
Yes its a good product but i don't want to shot only landscapes so i believe it will be my 3rd filter. Thanks for your reply

ND-32 is required in southeast Texas for slow shutter speeds. Greece is a little more north than Texas though as its latitude is higher. Don't rule them all out. You can get an inexpensive set from Taco RC Store

SRP filters are made well, but are very hard to install/uninstall because they fit too well. FYI if you decide to pay a premium for them. With that said, I have the graduated 16/8 filter and like the results.

Reactions: bmcgnh
Light conditions vary, and as such, filter you need to use will vary as well. That's why there's many filters.

This keeps getting asked and the question is too broad for anyone to answer for you. Though figuring out which filter you need is fairly easy.

Pick a location and the weather you want to shoot in (sunny, cloudy, etc). With your default uv filter, choose manual camera mode. Choose ISO 100 and double the shutter speed of your fps (ie if you're shooting at 30fps, choose shutter speed of 60). Now look at your EV and see how many stops you're overexposed. If it says EV +3.0, you're 3 stops over exposed and you would need an ND8. 4 stops? ND16.

The problem is, every hour of every day will present different lighting conditions. But if you HAVE to start with one filter, this will at least let you know which one will work for your tested light.

I am usually shooting 1080x60 and use ND8 most, ND16 on bright days and ND32 when shooting 4kx30 on bright days. ND4 on darker days. Have been shooting lots of panoramas using stills lately with no ND at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj