ND 32 filter

Reaction score
Does anyone use a ND32 filter on their phantom 4, if so how often do you use it, if not what filter do you use the most?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

An ND8 and ND16 are the most commonly used filters.

Filter-Use-Chart.png

I use a 32 on most sunny days because the effect is perfect coupled with a GR4. Other then that I'll use a 16 in canyons or where there isn't full sun. I use them both a lot. The ND8 I use occasionally on cloudy days but between the three, I usually run the 32. There have been a couple days that the 32 was to much but switching is simple.

Many people new to filters don't know that ND filters are only used for video only to create motion blur for a more cinematic effect. Keep that in mind. I use my ND16 and ND32 the most, I almost never use my ND4.

An ND8 and ND16 are the most commonly used filters.

View attachment 62428
Could you elaborate on why or where this information came from? I wanted to start a new thread asking which was the most commonly used filter (not type, but # of ND) and this was only thread that really answered that but it's a broad statement.

I live in Florida and so far I can't imagine not using anything 16 or higher... I'm about to pull the trigger on some filters and not many kits come with the low and high end. The polar pro's I'm looking at are the 16,32,64 cinema pack, but I don't know what I'd be missing with an 8. Don't want to deal with a polarizer filter. Any Floridians using filters able to comment on this. I've seen very few ND64 videos on youtube, but they look GREAT!

My ultimate goal is the cinematic look and being able to stay at a shutter speed of 50 with nothing blown out.

There have been times in the bright desert where a ND64 would help to get the speed down to 1/50 to 1/60. Only way to find out is to launch the drone and camera and see what filter you need to get to those speeds.

This guy does a good job of explaining the use and demoing the ND filters, although in a cloudy sky area with ND8 and ND16:

His "Color Grading" one is excellent too!

I was shooting some beach footage in the Caribbean and sure could've used a ND32 for most of my shooting and a ND64 at midday. The strongest I had was a ND16 and even at ISO100, I was shooting 1/120 or faster.

Even back home on a sunny day for me, a ND16 is bare minimum for mid-afternoon and an ND32 would probably be ideal. ND8 for very early morning and late afternoon nearing sunset. I don't think I've ever used the ND4.

Thank you both. Thinking I need the higher set of filters and to buy an ND 8 on it's own.

Reactions: Trinimon
The PolarPro Cinema Series are great. They don't seem to have that magenta colour cast as some of the cheaper filters and they're multi-coated to reduce flares.

I went with the Cinema Series Vivid kit with the ND4PL, ND8PL and ND16PL 'cause I was shooting around water and needed to cut reflections and punch up the colours too. Too bad it was ND8/16/32PL or better yet, ND16PL/ND32PL/ND64PL 'cause that would have been gold!

My PolarPro ND32PL came in yesterday but I haven't had time to try it out yet. Sadly it's not multicoated and the adjustment ring is a bit stiffer than the slick Cinema Series ones. I read a B&H Photo review that said it had a slight magenta colour cast. Guess I'll find out when I do get a few mins to test it.

I'm using the Polar Pro Cinema Series VIVID collection
which is: ND4/PL filter, ND8/PL filter & ND16/PL filter

I'd add the ND32/PL if they had it but haven't seen it yet.

I must say their quality is pretty much top notch and they produce a significant image difference compared to economy versions.

Reactions: CThruU and Trinimon

I must say their quality is pretty much top notch and they produce a significant image difference compared to economy versions.

I spoke to Jeff Overall of PolarPro and he said they weren't planning on making a Cinema Series with an ND32PL or ND64PL anytime soon, which I think is a shame.

Jeff suggested I try the regular ND32PL and see if I like it first. I keep getting home too late after work so I probably won't be able to test it until this weekend. Arghhh.

Reactions: BigAl07
I spoke to Jeff Overall of PolarPro and he said they weren't planning on making a Cinema Series with an ND32PL or ND64PL anytime soon, which I think is a shame.

Jeff suggested I try the regular ND32PL and see if I like it first. I keep getting home too late after work so I probably won't be able to test it until this weekend. Arghhh.
Ah well dang. I'll hit him up right now and put a bug in his ear. Maybe it will show some interest in such. I love my PL series ND filters. LOVE them!

+1

With great customer service, as well.

lol, please do! I've been bugging him for a couple weeks now!
Done deal.

He's a great guy to work with and so quick and thorough in his replies. I can say for sure he is the reason I went with PP to begin with.

I'm anxious to hear what your thoughts are about that one. If you like it I'll turn around and order it ASAP myself.

I'm anxious to hear what your thoughts are about that one. If you like it I'll turn around and order it ASAP myself.

I'll try and get out of the office on time today and do a quick backyard flight. Hopefully I make it home before it starts getting dark. I'll let ya know what I think.

I've been hunting for a Snake Rive Prototyping graduated ND8/16 with no luck. Everyone is out of stock, including them. No response as to when they may show up again either.

I also put in a request to PolarPro for a graduated ND filter set since they seem to have better market coverage. I could use a ND16/32 or maybe stronger ND32/64 at times in desert sunlight.

I've been hunting for a Snake Rive Prototyping graduated ND8/16 with no luck. Everyone is out of stock, including them. No response as to when they may show up again either.

I also put in a request to PolarPro for a graduated ND filter set since they seem to have better market coverage. I could use a ND16/32 or maybe stronger ND32/64 at times in desert sunlight.

Ohhh, some ND grads would be awesome for sunrise/sunset shooting.

Well, I didn't make it home early enough but I did manage to send the drone up for a quick 360 and snapshot. ND32 was a bit on the dark side as the sun was starting to get low and warm as you tell from the long shadows. Not the most ideal lighting condition to do an honest test.

This still was shot at 1/40 @ ISO100, white balance is set at daylight, RAW mode, D-LOG, Style set to -1,-2,-1. I'd prefer to shoot a little faster shutter speed but got side tracked. I haven't checked the video yet to see if there were any lens flare from the filter not being multi-coated.

Hopefully it's sunny this weekend and I get to do a side x side with the Cinema Series Vivid under brighter conditions.

Edit: I did look at the video and there is noticable lens flare when the camera is within 45 degrees to the sun. It could add to a cinematic look if that was what one wanted.
29421103202_1f454f47ea_o.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj