Naza mode

Reaction score
Hi I want to be able to switch home mode without turning off the controller. I think I have to set the controller into NAZA-M mode, is this correct?. If so once I have done that does it automatically set up my S1 and S2 switches and could someone explain the configuration of the switches.
A lot of questions but hopefully someone could help me out.
Matt

No, the switches aren't automatically set.

Have you downloaded and reviewed the manual yet? If not please take a few minutes to download it and read the section on NAZA mode. Exactly what you are asking is well explained there. It is easy to follow.

+10 on reading the manual, and also reading around & researching on here and elsewhere about NAZA mode and what it can and can't do. If you've read up on NAZAM mode and are fully aware of the changes you'll encounter (totally new LED signals, for example) then you can always switch modes in the Assistant and look at the setting options. If in doubt, click the switch back to Vision mode.

Hi thanks I have checked the online manual, but I can't see anything about the NAZAM mode, I thought I had missed something maybe I have the old version manual but I have changed the controller over and set S1 switch bottom toggle to fail safe so am I right in thinking IF I take off in GPS mode then putting the S1 switch down to bottom position then that should trigger 'return to home'?.

Yes just looking into that now the LEDs anyway struggling to find what ATTi would do if I put it in by mistake

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/en/NAZA-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.22_en.pdf <NazaM manual

Notes of Intelligent Mode

(1) In ATTI. / GPS ATTI. Mode, it has landing judgment, which will stop motors.
(2) Start motors in ATTI. / GPS ATTI. Mode, you have to execute CSC and then push throttle stick
over 10% in 3 seconds, otherwise motors will stop after 3 seconds.
(3) During normal flight, only pull throttle stick under 10% will not stop motors in any control mode.
(4) For safety reason, when the slope angle of multi-rotor is over 70° during the flight in ATTI. /
GPS ATTI. Mode (may be caused by collision, motor and ESC error or propeller broken down),
and throttle stick is under 10%, motors will stop automatically.
Notes of Intelligent Mode & Immediately Mode

(1) If you choose the Immediately Mode, you should not pull throttle stick under 10% during flight,
because it will stop motors. If you do it accidentally, you should push the throttle stick over 10% in
5s to re-start motors.
(2) DO NOT execute the CSC during normal flight without any reason, or it will stop motors at once.

(1) If you choose the Intelligent mode, and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing
Procedure, in any control mode. In this judgment, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except
the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level.
(2) In any control mode, DO NOT pull throttle stick under 10% during normal flight without any
reason.

(1) Any of these two cut off types will only work properly if TX calibration is correct done.
(2) In failed-safe, CSC is denied by the main controller, motors will hold their state.

Calibration Procedures
1. Switch on the transmitter, and then power on autopilot system!
2. Quickly switch the control mode switch from GPS Mode to Manual Mode and back to GPS Mode (or
from GPS Mode to ATTI. Mode and back to GPS Mode) for more than 5 times, The LED indicator will
turn on constantly yellow so that the aircraft is ready for the calibration.
3. (Fig.1) Hold your Multi-rotor horizontal and rotate it around the gravitational force line (about 360o
) until
the LED changes to constant green, and then go to the next step.
4. (Fig.2)Hold your Multi-rotor vertically and rotate it (its nose is downward) around the gravitational force
line (about 360o
) until the LED turns off, meaning the calibration is finished.

Fig.1 Fig.2
5. If the calibration was successful, calibration mode will exit automatically. If the LED keeps flashing quickly
Red, the calibration has failed. Switch the control mode switch one time to cancel the calibration, and
then re-start from step 2.

1. When the GPS is abnormal, the Main controller will tell you by the LED blinking Red and Yellow
alternately ( ), disable the GPS Module, and automatically enter the aircraft into the
ATTI. Mode.
2. You don’t need to rotate your multi-rotor on a precise horizontal or vertical surface, but keep at
least 45° difference between horizontal and vertical calibration.
3. If you keep having calibration failure, it might suggest that there is very strong magnetic
interference around the GPS /Compass module, please avoid flying in this area.
4. When to do re-calibration
(1) The flight field is changed.
(2) When the multi-rotor mechanical setup has changed:
a) If the GPS/Compass module is re-positioned.
b) If electronic devices are added/removed/ re-positioned (Main Controller, servos, batteries, etc.).
c) When the mechanical structure of the multi-rotor is changed.
(3) If the flight direction appears to be shifting (meaning the multi-rotor doesn’t “fly straight”).
(4) The LED indicator often indicates abnormality blinking when the multi-rotor spins. (It is normal
for this to happen only occasionally)

Do you think we will at some time in the future with a firmware update, be able to use the S1 and S2 switches for ATT, failsafe, IOC etc without having to switch to NAZA mode. I find the Vision LEDs quite easy and logical, but the NAZA LEDs quite confusing.

No idea. I think DJI's reasoning was that their target market for the Vision were going to be first-time RC'ers to a large extent using the aircraft relatively close-in for aerial photography. I think they wanted to keep it simple and straightforward and mainly automatic as a default. Whether they still want it to remain like that I don't know...

The lights, though, are the default lights for the Naza-M-V2 so I'm not sure they'll change those in any major way. Don't forget they are designed for people with no telemetry to know how many sats they have, what mode they are in, etc.

Mossie said:
Do you think we will at some time in the future with a firmware update, be able to use the S1 and S2 switches for ATT, failsafe, IOC etc without having to switch to NAZA mode. I find the Vision LEDs quite easy and logical, but the NAZA LEDs quite confusing.

+1 on the naza LEDs being confusing....I'd like to see an overview video of these in NAZA mode...for some reason the charts with the colored dots don't do it for me...at all.

Is there a idiots guide to the main differences between the two modes (Vision and NAZA)?

I have read and re-read the manual but am finding it very confusing. I thought that Home Lock looked like a great idea for a newbie but as I understand it, you have to be in NAZA mode to use it, which seems a bit strange.

I have been looking for a Youtube video explaining the differences but it doesn`t look like there is one.

I found the DJI site and wiki very easy to follow for change to NAZA M ..... LED differences seem minimal ?? if not better in NAZA for whats happening, ... compared to Vision LEDS ... blink blink fly ...

Ok, main differences:

Different LED signals on the aircraft arms (NAZA was designed to give satellite and mode info in the absence of telemetry). Details here: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... escription

S1 switch becomes selectable for position 3. You can have either: GPS/ATTI/ATTI or GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE or GPS/ATTI/MANUAL (latter not to be recommended).

As per above you get to manually enter atti mode - this will hold the aircraft level, but you will drift with the wind rather than hovering in one spot as per GPS. Can provide smoother video as the aircraft isn't constantly correcting to hold station.

You can activate IOC and have it selectable on S2 (OFF/COURSE LOCK/HOME LOCK). There's a video in my signature I made about the differences using the medium of Lego. ;)

The DJI wiki has a whole section on NAZA-M-V2 which has some more detail.

If you have both switches in the uppermost position the aircraft behaves exactly as it does in standard Vision mode (except for the different LED signals).

Hope this helps.

Hi pull_up, that is really helpful, I took the p2v out yesterday and practiced in naza-m mode the return to home and it work perfectly until I tried to take control on its way back for the third time. I can only assume I didn't put the switch up fully and back into GPS mode. As it veered violently off to the left and hit the side of a house. This caused the camera to fall off and partially broke 2 blades.
I then spent 5 very stressful minutes trying to bring the phantom back but without the camera I couldn't see which direction it's was facing, so now in total panic mode I proceeded to sprint after the phantom down several streets. People watching must have been laughing watching me running and looking up in the air at the same time.
Anyway I eventually managed to get underneath it and bring it down safely although with potentially 2 missing blades it wasn't pretty!!!.
Had I remained calm in the first place I'm assuming after it struck the house if I put the controller up fully into GPS mode and then all the way down I would have initiated the return to home function and saved the humiliation of running down the road after it?.
So I have replaced the blades, calibrated the compass and put tie wraps through the rubber shocks so hopefully if heaven forbid I have a similar episode the camera will stay with the copter I am very thankful my rotorpixel gimbal is probably some time away to give me plenty of time to practice!!!.
Any tips would be gratefully received.

Pull_Up said:
Ok, main differences:

Different LED signals on the aircraft arms (NAZA was designed to give satellite and mode info in the absence of telemetry). Details here: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... escription

S1 switch becomes selectable for position 3. You can have either: GPS/ATTI/ATTI or GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE or GPS/ATTI/MANUAL (latter not to be recommended).

As per above you get to manually enter atti mode - this will hold the aircraft level, but you will drift with the wind rather than hovering in one spot as per GPS. Can provide smoother video as the aircraft isn't constantly correcting to hold station.

You can activate IOC and have it selectable on S2 (OFF/COURSE LOCK/HOME LOCK). There's a video in my signature I made about the differences using the medium of Lego. ;)

The DJI wiki has a whole section on NAZA-M-V2 which has some more detail.

If you have both switches in the uppermost position the aircraft behaves exactly as it does in standard Vision mode (except for the different LED signals).

Hope this helps.

Yes it does, thank you.

smatty2023 said:
Hi pull_up, that is really helpful, I took the p2v out yesterday and practiced in naza-m mode the return to home and it work perfectly until I tried to take control on its way back for the third time. I can only assume I didn't put the switch up fully and back into GPS mode. As it veered violently off to the left and hit the side of a house. This caused the camera to fall off and partially broke 2 blades.
I then spent 5 very stressful minutes trying to bring the phantom back but without the camera I couldn't see which direction it's was facing, so now in total panic mode I proceeded to sprint after the phantom down several streets. People watching must have been laughing watching me running and looking up in the air at the same time.
Anyway I eventually managed to get underneath it and bring it down safely although with potentially 2 missing blades it wasn't pretty!!!.
Had I remained calm in the first place I'm assuming after it struck the house if I put the controller up fully into GPS mode and then all the way down I would have initiated the return to home function and saved the humiliation of running down the road after it?.
So I have replaced the blades, calibrated the compass and put tie wraps through the rubber shocks so hopefully if heaven forbid I have a similar episode the camera will stay with the copter I am very thankful my rotorpixel gimbal is probably some time away to give me plenty of time to practice!!!.

Yeah, this is why I always caution people to get used to their aircraft and reacting to it before switching. Yes, you could have done RTH but given you were near buildings and so on it would probably have been better to just flip to GPS and leave it in the hover. Assess how it was flying, get your breath back, bring it back slowly. Still, hindsight's wonderful.

If it was potentially a big bang against the building do a hover test before next flight for a minute or so. If it's not hovering like a champ then run an IMU calibration. You say you've calibrated the compass - I assume that was in a wide open area away from metal, buildings, etc... (just going to leave that hanging).

Another good thing to do if you are not always 100% on your orientation is fly with the radar display up (take it away for framing shots then put it back up). A quick glance down will then tell you the aircraft's orientation with respect to its take-off point (or to your phone if you press it again). If you are in a difficult area for RTH, or you forgot to operate above the highest obstacle between you and home (and would therefore crash into it at 20 metres), the radar screen and GPS mode to stabilise things can get you back.

Glad it wasn't as expensive a lesson as it could have been! And with a gimbal coming then you lose one of the main reasons most people want atti mode - more stable footage. There aren't many reasons to keep S1 anything other than fully up in GPS if you are filming with a gimbal.

Encantador said:
Yes it does, thank you.

No problem. But there are reasons why I keep cautioning people not to leap straight into NAZA mode, as you can see from above. Stay close in for a while and learn to fly the aircraft, how to get out of trouble, and learn how to use cool features like the radar display to your advantage. Home lock and manually operating return to home should be seen as last resorts, in my humble opinion. Like all tools they work great until they don't, whereas learning how to keep track of your aircraft's orientation should always work once you've got it.

Lecture over, sorry to preach. Go out and have fun! :D

smatty2023 said:

Glad to hear it is still in one piece for the most part. Doesn't sound like you had any serious damage. In hindsight, you should practice using the return to home feature. As long as you are above all the objects between you and the Phantom it will return to you. Just make sure to give the Phantom plenty of time to set it's home point before you take off.

http://youtu.be/esXJN_OTkmU

Looks like my job is done here.

Guys thanks again for all your helpful hints and tips I have only been flying do far on my playing fields but stupidly too close to the edge of the fields. Yes absolutely I think ad soon as the gimbal arrives I will take it out of naza-m mode. Just a real shame in factory stock mode you can't activate the return to home feature without turning the controller off.
Thanks again for all your suggestions really appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers