Naza-M mode and Pilot Training Guide - Need more info

Reaction score
2 part question...

What does enabling "Naza-M mode" actually do? What is the difference in the flight modes that enables? I don't see actual definitions in the manual.

Where is the "PHANTOM Pilot Training Guide" that the manual refers to? It says you shouldn't enable NAZA-M until you've completed it, but it doesn't indicate where to find it.

I'm guessing the training guide teaches you basic control, etc - and NAZA-M takes the training wheels off - but I'm looking for more details on these.

rctoyguy said:
2 part question...

What does enabling "Naza-M mode" actually do? What is the difference in the flight modes that enables? I don't see actual definitions in the manual.

It enables additional flight modes: ATTI (useful) and MANUAL (don't even think about it unless you've flown "real" RC helis before) or FAILSAFE (not terribly useful) on the right-hand switch, and "Course Lock" and "Home Lock" on the left hand switch.

Where is the "PHANTOM Pilot Training Guide" that the manual refers to? It says you shouldn't enable NAZA-M until you've completed it, but it doesn't indicate where to find it.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.1_en.pdf

The Pilot Training Guide has an extremely useful set of training exercises taking you from basic to advanced manoeuvres. Essential reading.

Hope this is some help.

a google search for "phantom pilot training guide" yields the result as #1 straight from DJI's website ;)

there's also a ton of discussion about naza mode on this forum but searching can be rough because just "naza mode" yields too many results.

Basically your phantom (I'm assuming a non-Vision model here but the principles are similar on Visions I believe) comes stock in Phantom Mode (Visions call it Vision Mode I think) where the flight computer is locked in GPS mode (auto-hover, hold position) and the 2 toggle switches on your remote don't really have any function (although you can program the right toggle to manually trigger RTH).

Naza mode is indeed a more advanced mode which opens up some other possibilities... they're more advanced so I don't know about this "training guide" but you should definitely have plenty of flights under your belt and be familiar and comfortable with piloting the Phantom before trying out Naza. When you enable Naza mode, several things are now possible:
1) the right toggle on the remote changes function. in GPS position the Phantom acts just like before when the computer was in Phantom Mode... GPS flight mode, auto hover when sticks are released. If you flip to ATTI mode, the Phantom will no longer try to hold it's GPS position when you release the sticks... that means from a hover it will just drift with the wind. more importantly, it means if you're moving laterally (let's just say forward) and release the lateral stick instead stopping on a dime it will act like a car when you release the gas... it will continue to "coast" forward. you have to apply your own counter-thrust (for example pulling back) to slow or stop the lateral movement.
Basically the Phantom is now drifting with the wind AND you have to apply all your own thrust to counteract any movements of the Phantom instead of the flight computer doing that for you. It's fun and not hard to master but hopefully you can imagine why it's not something an inexperienced pilot should be getting into. I personally do a lot of flipping between ATTI and GPS. When I want it to "hold still" for me I have it in GPS, and when I want more control and that other behavior I flip to ATTI. there's no harm in flipping back and forth, and the rear indicator lights show you which mode you're in.

2) it gets even more complicated... if you're in ATTI mode you can now enable the LEFT toggle on your remote to enable CL (Course-Lock) and HL (Home-Lock) modes. I personally don't use these but they do have value in certain situations I guess but they completely change the stick behavior... for example in home-lock, forward/back on lateral stick become "move away from" and "come back towards" the home point.. not simply forward/backward relative to Phantom so you should make sure you clearly understand them before enabling (via Assistant software) and using them. I humbly suggest you go to youtube and do your own research into course-lock and home-lock... videos explaining and demonstrating them are very easy to find.

Speaking of the rear indicator lights, they act MUCH differently in Naza mode. In my opinion this video does a perfect job of explaining Naza mode blink codes and I feel like anybody going into Naza mode should watch it.

hope that helps!

QYV said:
Speaking of the rear indicator lights, they act MUCH differently in Naza mode. In my opinion this video does a perfect job of explaining Naza mode blink codes and I feel like anybody going into Naza mode should watch it.

Simon Newton's videos are always good, but he actually gets it a bit wrong in this one. He says that in Naza mode, the rapidly-flashing green lights you get at 30s after power-up indicate that the home point has been established. That's not true: the rapid flashes at 30s indicate that course lock orientation has been set. It's the second set of rapid green flashes that indicate that the home point has been recorded. This is a very important distinction.

My current understanding as well.

Further confirmed by the following green - red- red - ,etc. sequences indicating # of GPS sats. ???

Once 'system' gets to +/=6 sats. then you get second set of green flashes as I understood it.

HarryT said:
Simon Newton's videos are always good, but he actually gets it a bit wrong in this one. He says that in Naza mode, the rapidly-flashing green lights you get at 30s after power-up indicate that the home point has been established. That's not true: the rapid flashes at 30s indicate that course lock orientation has been set. It's the second set of rapid green flashes that indicate that the home point has been recorded. This is a very important distinction.

interesting, thanks for that. I've never realized there are 2 sets of flashes, I generally fly right after the first one and so far my RTH has always worked properly... I always test it at short range before I go off long range.

I have FPV with iOSD mini so I generally don't pay attention to the flashes to calculate battery or GPS satellite count, I just refer to osd... I'm also happy to admit where the gaps in my knowledge are.

QYV said:
interesting, thanks for that. I've never realized there are 2 sets of flashes, I generally fly right after the first one and so far my RTH has always worked properly... I always test it at short range before I go off long range.

There's only one set of rapid flashes (home point recorded) in Phantom mode, but two sets (first course lock orientation set, second home point recorded) in Naza mode. That's the most important thing that changes, in terms of the flash codes, when you enable Naza mode. Don't fly until you get the second set of rapid flashes :).

I have been educated and I'll definitely keep an eye out for it in the future. Gracias!

Yea... NAZA mode, thread's title.

Did not notice if Simon mentioned mode he was referring to.

Yea... NAZA mode, thread's title.

Did not notice if Simon mentioned mode he was referring to.

While this is only indirectly related to this thread as searching not producing results. Here is my bookmarkable, sometimes used sig.
SEARCH

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks - the built in search doesn't work for this - I get:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: naza mode.

I appreciate all of the help folks!

rctoyguy said:
Thanks - the built in search doesn't work for this - I get:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: naza mode.

Exactly, that's why the alternative IrishSights offers is so much better anytime you need to search this site. I use the same on many other sites as well with cumbersome search engines.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic