National trust land, uk

Reaction score
I've been told that the national trust on the UK have a blanket ban on flying over and from land that is owned or controlled by the trust.
Has anyone had any problems?

Yes I got asked to stop when flying over the beach at Burton Bradstock,I was in the middle of no where, amazed that an NT warden appeared from no where.

They don't have any power to control airspace above, just like any other landowner.
However they can probably make it a condition of access that you may not take off from their land.
I doubt that could be upheld legally though.
To be fair it's reasonable to try to pre-empt frequent UAV flights around more sensitive spots even if the location is just a beach rather than a stately home.
However I don't have much sympathy due to their recent increasing belligerence towards photography in general.
There has been a recent case where NT tried to charge photographers with photos on Flickr of Whitby - because *their* Abbey was in the view.

It's actually quite difficult to take a view of Whitby without the Abbey in the background somewhere - since it's on a big cliff!

I had a similar issue recently, was flying over some farmland, private but never been bothered there before and a farmer even asked some questions
However the other day I was approached by head of security who said I cant fly there as it is owner by the Duke of Norfolk. This is because it is part of the Arundel castle estate which is part of the royal family and it is a security risk. Hr threatend to shoot the drone down next time. Do I have any right to fly there? Or could thry legally shoot it down?

If the farmer owns land and given permission it's ok.

The security guy can't take pop shots at anything unless something is happening that threatens life of another person.

Nah see that's the problem the land is owned by the trust and the Duke but the farmer world the land

They don't have any power to control airspace above, just like any other landowner.
However they can probably make it a condition of access that you may not take off from their land.
I doubt that could be upheld legally though.
To be fair it's reasonable to try to pre-empt frequent UAV flights around more sensitive spots even if the location is just a beach rather than a stately home.
However I don't have much sympathy due to their recent increasing belligerence towards photography in general.
There has been a recent case where NT tried to charge photographers with photos on Flickr of Whitby - because *their* Abbey was in the view.

It's actually quite difficult to take a view of Whitby without the Abbey in the background somewhere - since it's on a big cliff!
Yes I agree they do not control the airspace,so OK to fly from a nearby private,or public land.
Today I visited Studland bay, and Harrys rocks, which is National trust land, it was very busy, hundreds of people and a few horses, and someone was flying over the heads of the walkers, not low, but very definitely at nuisance level, personally I would not fly here with so many people about, regardless of it being NT land, the CAA guidance is clear.
Meanwhile nearby numerous light aircraft flew low over Corfe Castle, NT property. It seems it is OK for anyone to fly over NT land, except Quadcopters.
Anyway rant over,glad I live in a part of the UK with very few restrictions on flying,Lancashire/Cumbria border.

I was flying on Devils dyke Sussex with nobody around, when a NT warden came over and said (nicely) that flying drones on NT land is prohibited. This is where hundreds of paraglider's jump off every week.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was flying in North Norfolk and sure enough a van arrived with an NT guy who told me it was illegal to fly from the beach -(which by the way was as good as empty)
After a long and peaceful conversation he said that there was a blanket ban but could not give me proof so later on I searched the NT website to see that they are using drones themselves for research or something but couldn't find any info on any ban.
I sent them an email asking for clarification and surprise surprise I never got a reply.
I should have followed this up but moved on to other things.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I got asked (politely) I couldn't fly spurn point by an NT warden, also English Heritage sites are a no go according to a miserable care taker at Thorton abbey

It applies to English Heritage property as well. I was told I couldn't fly at Okehampton castle, so I politely asked where the EH boundary was and went the other side of it to take off. Got some decent footage and pics of the castle (well, castle remains) with no problem.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466848688.612591.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466848703.099993.jpg

I should say though, that in my (limited) experience some places are more accommodating than others. I have been to a couple of NT places where they were quite ok about me flying/filming, with the proviso that they were for personal consumption and that I wasn't looking to sell the pictures (which I wasn't ).

Reactions: robinb
The national trust has a communications dept who deal with applications to fly on their land, but you will probably require a PFAW.

UK Drone/SUA regs are clearly outlined in CAP722 and article 167.

Very simply you will need permission to take off/land, keep 50m away from people and buildings not under your control and 150m from a congested area.

I have seen on NT land posters warning of no drones due to nesting birds of prey

I was stopped at The White Horse at Uffington - the place was nearly empty, I saw no 'warning' signs and was flying away from the site, doing a reverse reveal shot. Told to desist immediately, just said not allowed and drove away. Question: I now have a Mavic as well (well, it arrives Monday), with phenomenal range. So if I take off about a 1,000 metres away, off 'their' property, keep to 350 feet up, can I 'fly by' and get video / photos I want? The Mavic is a lot quieter than my P4, so maybe wouldn't be noticed anyway, but could they come tearing up on public land and, again, instruct me to 'desist'?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Sorry for the long post, but the following is the advice from National trust.
ot sure if it is readable, and not sure it helps.

Attachments

• nt advice.JPG
    nt advice.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 733
Reactions: fly-catchers
Yes they have a total ban on drones but they should not be allowed:

Flying drones at our places

The National Trust policy on this is criminalising, old fashioned and plain inaccurate, I am happy to join a group of pilots to take on this.

This actually contravenes the UK Civil Aviation Authority own rules. I could do a deconstruction of their ludicrous list point by point. The irony is that people interested in the environment like myself find it nearly impossible to fly over spaces that should be commons in Norfolk as it's mostly controlled by the Trust, Holkham State etc.

There are multiple threads about this on other forums, for example:

Flying over National Trust sites

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj