National Park Fire

Reaction score
So I get to work this morning and call our wrecking yard to let them know that I had flown over the yard and got some video. Nothing spectacular but we wanted to see what the yard looked like from a couple hundred feet. They proceed to tell me that the National Park is looking for somebody who was flying their drone close to the forest fire they are fighting. They had to ground their helicopters because of it.

It pisses me off. I went on a rant to my boss about how horrible it is that these people are going to ruin it for the rest of us who are responsible. It plays into the stereotype that those with drones make it unsafe for the rest of society. I'm a new drone pilot and honestly before I got this Phantom 4 I had no clue what was going on in the drone community. But even now I am taking this personally.

I've looked around on FB to see if I could find anybody posting videos/photos close to the fire but haven't found much. I did find one photo that makes me a bit suspicious. Not sure who to contact though.

Some people can be very reckless, and dont care about the common good of others. And what happens to all the good people that want to help the world and enjoy flying. or it was just some kid that thought he was amazing flying his drone over a fire, "going to be a youtube star".

Some people can be very reckless, and dont care about the common good of others. And what happens to all the good people that want to help the world and enjoy flying. or it was just some kid that thought he was amazing flying his drone over a fire, "going to be a youtube star".

Exactly. And it probably was. Or somebody who only thought about that amazing picture/video they could get and didn't see the big picture. I'm sure they got some great footage. But is that worth grounding helicopters trying to fight the fire and making those of us who are safe/legal? If it its a kid I hope they learn. If its an adult I hope they lose their drone. Either way I really hope they catch the person.

Exactly. And it probably was. Or somebody who only thought about that amazing picture/video they could get and didn't see the big picture. I'm sure they got some great footage. But is that worth grounding helicopters trying to fight the fire and making those of us who are safe/legal? If it its a kid I hope they learn. If its an adult I hope they lose their drone. Either way I really hope they catch the person.
Me too.

I found this photo on FB. Not sure if somebody could take that photo from a good vantage point or only from a drone. What do you think?

Attachments

• 13938402_1032599973522829_1986813342581568980_n.jpg
    13938402_1032599973522829_1986813342581568980_n.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 357
Interesting, it's a neat shot, though the trees in the front make it look like it's on the ground, but it could a drone from a low vantage point.

Is it possible it was just a fire fighter that took it?

Is it possible it was just a fire fighter that took it?

That photo? No. Its somebody who has taken a few photos in the area and put them online. I just don't know that there is enough access to that to get a photo like that from the ground. I've sent it over to the NP to let them decide. Didn't send a name just in case its possible to get a photo like that from the ground.

"The Port approves your request to operate an unmanned aerial system (UAS) or “drone” per the conditions and locations you mention below and grants an exemption to the associated FAA UAS regulations."

"The Port approves your request to operate an unmanned aerial system (UAS) or “drone” per the conditions and locations you mention below and grants an exemption to the associated FAA UAS regulations."
????

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik