National cemetery.. With Heliport.

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm researching to possibly get permission to fly at the National Cemetery here in NC where my father is buried. I have some wonderful ideas for making a nice tribute video to share with family and friends as he of course was a veteran. I spoke with the assistant director today and had a nice fifteen minute conversation explaining to him my desire, my safety, my pilot skills. He was very concerned /interested in my plan. He told me to hold on while he went to speak with the director. He came back after about five minutes and said that the director would like for me to send him an email with a detailed request. At least the answer wasn't a solid no, whether I get permission or not.

Now.. This is where I have questions. There is a Heliport /Helipad pretty close at the VA medical center which I'm sure is a part of the National cemetery. The Heliport /Helipad shows up on Airmap. How do approach this? Do I contact the powers that be concerning the Heliport /Helipad and apply for permission... Possible??

Hey gang, I'm researching to possibly get permission to fly at the National Cemetery here in NC where my father is buried. I have some wonderful ideas for making a nice tribute video to share with family and friends as he of course was a veteran. I spoke with the assistant director today and had a nice fifteen minute conversation explaining to him my desire, my safety, my pilot skills. He was very concerned /interested in my plan. He told me to hold on while he went to speak with the director. He came back after about five minutes and said that the director would like for me to send him an email with a detailed request. At least the answer wasn't a solid no, whether I get permission or not.

Now.. This is where I have questions. There is a Heliport /Helipad pretty close at the VA medical center which I'm sure is a part of the National cemetery. The Heliport /Helipad shows up on Airmap. How do approach this? Do I contact the powers that be concerning the Heliport /Helipad and apply for permission... Possible??
you don't need to apply for any permissions, just follow the usual rules about notifying any airports (including heliports) within 5 miles before you fly. Sounds like a great idea. Hope everything works out for you.

Thanks. I'm also wondering if there are special laws pertaining to a "National Cemetery". When I spoke to the assistant director he laughed nanda said they had just received an email saying not to allow drones to fly there. So that makes me think there are no written laws about National Cemeteries.. It seems more about rules. But the way the assistant director talked written permission could possibly be given. For the record I'm not using the term "drone" when I'm speaking with them, I'm using the term "UAV".. I think it sounds just a bit more professional.

Last edited:
OK after taking a closer look at Airmap the cemetery is 4.5 miles from the Rowan County Airport. If you want to fly within a NFZ can you apply for permission up to a certain altitude within a certain time frame? Thanks for the help.

Thanks. I'm also wondering if there are special laws pertaining to a "National Cemetery". When I spoke to the assistant director he laughed nanda said they had just received an email saying not to allow drones to fly there. So that makes me think there are no written laws about National Cemeteries.. It seems more about rules. But the way the assistant director talked written permission could possibly be given. For the record I'm not using the term "drone" when I'm speaking with them, I'm using the term "UAV".. I think it sounds just a bit more professional.
Yes. I don't say drone either. I usually say "Quadcopter" or "flying camera." Then, if they say "Drone?" I say, "Well, yes." Our toys have managed to get a bad reputation somewhere along the line, so I usually tiptoe around the name a bit. If possible, I let them see some of my better video to get an idea of what it's capable of. It usually works. I also offer them any video or still files I get. They don't usually take them, but they seem to respond well to the fact that I offered.

Reactions: schlepprock
OK after taking a closer look at Airmap the cemetery is 4.5 miles from the Rowan County Airport. If you want to fly within a NFZ can you apply for permission up to a certain altitude within a certain time frame? Thanks for the help.

No offense but everyone flying a Phantom should know that they are required to contact any airport within 5 miles of where they are flying and notify them of the flight. When you registered your drone this is one of the things you agreed to do and it's the law outside of the registration.

Reactions: schlepprock
No offense but everyone flying a Phantom should know that they are required to contact any airport within 5 miles of where they are flying and notify them of the flight. When you registered your drone this is one of the things you agreed to do and it's the law outside of the registration.
Yeah I know. Thanks. I've been researching more and I knew that but I always like to hear fresh information from credible sources. I trust a lot of the information from this site. I guess I was looking for reassurance about the NFZ.

I have the honor of doing video and images of the 2018 Wreathes Across America at the Richmond National Cemetery.
This is also within close proximity to an airport. To be sure it is required to get airport approval even though I will be less than 400’ at all times.

This project is being done Pro bono by my wife and I and at the request of the cemetery caretaker/event organizer.

Has anyone had experience gaining the permission from large groups of spectators? Everyone will be given a program that will have information that the event is being videotaped and photographed from the air. Is this enough or does everyone need to sign a waiver?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl